ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated/Overlooked

"I want to end hunger. I want everyone to just love everyone else. I want to end war."

I think Willy is Ms. New Jersey 1972.

In the spirit of the thread and kinda in response to your post...Levon Helm.

Anybody else besides me not know that Levon Helm played the old Tennessee gunsmith that Marky Mark went to see in "Shooter"?

007STR_Levon_Helm_002.jpg

who's Levon Helm? Don't feel like Googling.
Jason, Jason, Jason, first Point Break now Levon Helm??? [eyeroll]

He's the legendary drummer/singer for The Band. Holds the rock record for "Being Most Stoned Yet Still Able To Perform Competently" for this performance...

Last edited:
Anybody else besides me not know that Levon Helm played the old Tennessee gunsmith that Marky Mark went to see in "Shooter"?

007STR_Levon_Helm_002.jpg
Yep. He uttered the best line in the movie. "Still got the shovel."

He was also the narrator in The Right Stuff.

Underrated as an actor too.

Yep. He uttered the best line in the movie. "Still got the shovel."

He was also the narrator in The Right Stuff.

Well I'll be damned, I didn't know that, or if I did I had forgotten.

Now that you mention it though, I saw it a few weeks ago and I can definitely hear his voice at the end describing Gordon Cooper's flight and that tone/timber/whatever of his is unmistakable.

wait.. there's actually a band called The Band?

I thought it was a joke.

[laughing]

can't watch your youtubes at work. Have to wait til I get home. Kinda lookin forward to it.
Jesus, dude, you have to get more culture...

Here, at the 7:00 minute mark, they explain how they got the name. The dude talking killed himself shortly after this perfromance. Their last performance, as the Band, they got martin Scorcesse to direct the Last Waltz, which is top 3 greatest rockumentry.

when it gets cancelled will the network say they "dropped the Soap"?

har har har.
Soap was from late 70s and early 80s. It had an openly gay guy played by Billy Crystal, a guy who could only say what he meant through a puppet, a whore, Katherine Helmond's huge knockers, a crazy dude, and a kid who has banging his teacher. It was kind of like if you made a show about paddock topics.

Reactions: Mashburned
I'm a friggin Jedi master at pop trivia (at least things post 1985 or so). Never lose at trivial pursuit, especially relating to entertainment. But the things I've said here hold true. Never heard of any of these things. Maybe you guys are just bigger losers than I am.
Point Break came out in 1991, Jedi Master Spear.
6a00e54ee7b6428833015433a6c0e7970c-500wi

I'm a friggin Jedi master at pop trivia (at least things post 1985 or so). Never lose at trivial pursuit, especially relating to entertainment.

OT, but I'm completely serious here...we -- i.e. my local trivia "team" -- might need a 5th to play in a tournament in Las Vegas in late August. You'd have to buy your own plane ticket, but it's a good excuse for a weekend in Vegas :D

Excellent taste.

"In A Station," "Lonesome Suzie," "Up On Cripple Creek," "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," "The Weight," "Ophelia," "Shape I'm In"...could keep going.

"My biggest mistake was loving you too much" Don't Do It......

I've always like Rick Danko singing "It Makes No Difference" too.

Well I'll be damned, I didn't know that, or if I did I had forgotten.

Now that you mention it though, I saw it a few weeks ago and I can definitely hear his voice at the end describing Gordon Cooper's flight and that tone/timber/whatever of his is unmistakable.

Levon Helm also played Loretta Lynn's father, Ted Webb, in Coal Miners Daughter.

Definitely two of my all time favorite movies, Right Stuff and Coal Miners, and big big fan of The Band.

As a corollary to the Overrated thread below:

Reading the sports this AM, read the 1000th article about Affirmed and Alydar.

How about Seattle Slew for underrated or at least overlooked? Every time Triple Crown comes up, it is all about Secretariat and Affirmed v. Alydar.

Yet Slew was the only undefeated TC winner, plus ran as a 4 year old, defeating Affirmed twice (in history's only meetings between two TC winners), won 14 of 17 in a career and was a phenomenal stud.
I'll take the horse that stills holds the world dirt track 1-1/4 mile record at 1:57.8.

I'll take the horse that stills holds the world dirt track 1-1/4 mile record at 1:57.8.

Spectacular Bid? Arguably the best horse of modern times who did not win the TC, although Cigar, Point Given, Forego would/could be in the discussion. Took a series of minor miracles and mini disasters for him to lose the Belmont, including possibly the worst ride ever by a jockey in a major race.

Blue Oyster Cult.
Curtis Mayfield (still say the 'Superfly' soundtrack is the best soundtrack ever made)
Larry Holmes (boxing)

Spectacular Bid? Arguably the best horse of modern times who did not win the TC, although Cigar, Point Given, Forego would/could be in the discussion. Took a series of minor miracles and mini disasters for him to lose the Belmont, including possibly the worst ride ever by a jockey in a major race.
SB didn't control not winning TC, so that doesn't play into his greatness. If you can't stud you don't count.

SB didn't control not winning TC, so that doesn't play into his greatness. If you can't stud you don't count.

So was Secretariat not as great a horse as his grandson, Storm Cat?

Is Michael Jordan overrated because his son sucks?

TV show Raising Hope was great
Justified
Sundy Best
Alligator meat
Mango Key Lime pie

Impractical Jokers on truTV.

Haven't consistently laughed out loud this much for a TV show since Chappelle's Show.

Minor, well triple AAA baseball for sure. If your a baseball fan of course.

Related, Div 2-3, and higher level HS basketball.

The Pontiac Fiero, LOL. I once had a great friend who loved his.

Screw interstates, give me a lonely, deserted two lane any day. Especially a curvy one.

I definitely love Blizzards! No, not the Boulder kind, the DQ kind. So much so I have one about every 5 years. But hey man WD-40, and Dire Straits, we must think at least somewhat alike.

As for Slew he had consistency, but then there are those defining moments. One of those other horses you mentioned had 3 of them which still stand so he'll be talked about until that changes. I kind of seriously doubt it will. Thoroughbred breeding peaked in the 70's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT