ADVERTISEMENT

Uncomfortable question

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I'm posing this as someone who has obviously watched Kentucky football very closely for a long time but as someone who now writes about the program I have taken a huge step back and it's 100% a job, have divorced from all rooting interest.

I'm asking you, as fans, a question that might be uncomfortable.

Has your perception of Kentucky football fans as a whole changed in recent years?

Growing up, I always considered Kentucky football fans to be a fairly large (not as large as the basketball fan base) group of long-suffering, loyal people who showed out and sometimes were top 25 in total attendance or close for some not so great teams.

In recent years however there has been all kinds of difficulty filling the stadium. If you are here reading this, you are obviously a diehard. And I completely understand fans being deflated and pissed off after the game against Tennessee. But seeing how many empty seats there were on Senior Day and how long it has taken people to get on board some seasons, I have to say, I still believe there is a long-suffering, loyal as heck following, but I wonder if its not a shrinking group.

Is my perception wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News