ADVERTISEMENT

UK's OOC schedule...whew

A&M lost four starters, I believe.

UF should be decent. UGA could be okay. South Carolina has some talent. Alabama is an up and coming program that might have a good squad this season.

Other than UK, there are no legitimate threats to be NCAA tourney teams.
Lots of SEC talk so I'll way in too. I don't see any threats to a UK regular season and tourney three peat. Two years ago it was Arkansas, and last year it was A&M. This year besides UK only one SEC team makes the tourney, maybe.

Have to schedule the likes of Michigan state, UCLA, Arizona state, Louisville, UNC, and Kansas to get big wins. Losing to those teams don't hurt unless we lose five to six of them. I think UK goes 4-2 or 5-1.

Also playing the conference challenge in late January is huge since Kansas is the only real quality opponent after December. I'm not trying to down the SEC but simply stating cold hard facts.

Aren't UCLA and Kansas in Rupp? Where is the MSU and UNC games played?

like the OOC schedule
yeah the SEC kind of sucks - but it is what it is; griping won't change that

Lots of SEC talk so I'll way in too. I don't see any threats to a UK regular season and tourney three peat. Two years ago it was Arkansas, and last year it was A&M. This year besides UK only one SEC team makes the tourney, maybe.

Have to schedule the likes of Michigan state, UCLA, Arizona state, Louisville, UNC, and Kansas to get big wins. Losing to those teams don't hurt unless we lose five to six of them. I think UK goes 4-2 or 5-1.

Also playing the conference challenge in late January is huge since Kansas is the only real quality opponent after December. I'm not trying to down the SEC but simply stating cold hard facts.
The SEC will have more than two teams in the tournament. I think they get in 4.

No, UK can't control the SEC, but I also don't think you can act like its problematic nature doesn't exist. Beyond the potential seeding issues, I hate when UK goes into the tournament not having played anyone as good as who they're likely to face in the Sweet 16 (or even 2nd round) and beyond for 3 months.

That's why I love that the Kansas game is late January. It didn't work out last year, but I think the 14 team benefited tremendously from having faced Florida twice really close to the tournament. Nobody UK faced was as good as that Florida team- not Wichita, UL, Michigan, or Wisconsin. I think 2015 suffered because the 2 best teams they played that season were the last 2 games, and not one of the 21 straight SEC games they had played had been against anyone nearly as good.

The 16-17 reality is that UK is likely to play a whole bunch of games against teams that are realistically somewhere between 40-120. If you're a top 5 team, that's not really stepping out on a ledge.

Last edited:
This scedule looks pretty tough when you consider how young the talent we bring in yearly really is compared to the rest of the country. I know our young talent is going to turn out to be some of the most elite in the entire country, but even with that, the odds of our guys being as great as they will eventually become towards the end of the basketball season early on are not that great. Since the Sec is usually one of the weakest leagues in college basketball, i'm glad Cal decided to put together a non conference schedule like this to combat our conference schudule with. When it comes to coaching basketball and knowing what is best for Kentucky basketball, i usually just like to have faith in Cal knowing what he is doing with these type of moves. I know Cal is not perfect, but so far, he's probably as close as a school can get in today's college basketball world. The Michigan State game is always a great game for our cats to play. State has lost a few of their more elite players and are going to be pretty young themselves this coming year. The great thing is, our young elite players are more elite than States. With the talent we have on this roster, this coming year i am not going to sweat a single season loss. It really means little. We will lose a game and our young guys will learn and become better from it. At the end of the year i like our odds and our talent level to go far in the Ncaa tourney. Cal has put together a schedule that will get our young players ready and be ready to compete with the best once the Ncaa tourney starts and we face the elite schools.

We have no idea how good these freshmen will be on the college stage. We don't know how well they'll gel (by all accounts that isn't going to be an issue).

Remember the 2014 crew? Very similar circumstances to open the season. Stellar class, a few returners, and it took them until March to figure it out.

We have no idea how good these freshmen will be on the college stage. We don't know how well they'll gel (by all accounts that isn't going to be an issue).

Remember the 2014 crew? Very similar circumstances to open the season. Stellar class, a few returners, and it took them until March to figure it out.
They really just had a sophomore Poythress, sophomore WCS, and Wiltjer. This team I feel has better returnees in Briscoe, Humphries, and seniors Hawkins and Willis. These freshmen may or may not be better than 13-14 just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
They really just had a sophomore Poythress, sophomore WCS, and Wiltjer. This team I feel has better returnees in Briscoe, Humphries, and seniors Hawkins and Willis. These freshmen may or may not be better than 13-14 just have to wait and see.

They didn't have Wiltjer. He would have helped that team (IMO) to an extent if he evolved a bit from soph to junior seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT