ADVERTISEMENT

UK up to #8 in NET just ahead of KU

tenor.gif

Houston at #2? I'm sure they are great. But why do I get the sense that they will get bounced in the Elite8? They had two big tests that were losses. Oregon, Virginia? OK, nice wins.

I just don't think they are the 2nd best team in the nation, and if that's true, then the NET rankings need a little tweaking. Maybe a chance to SOS, because the big programs are just playing higher level teams.

It’s gonna be hard now to get a lot of movement in net rankings unless some teams lose multiple games and we win out.

Houston at #2? I'm sure they are great. But why do I get the sense that they will get bounced in the Elite8? They had two big tests that were losses. Oregon, Virginia? OK, nice wins.

I just don't think they are the 2nd best team in the nation, and if that's true, then the NET rankings need a little tweaking. Maybe a chance to SOS, because the big programs are just playing higher level teams.

Composite rankings average them around 6.

It's probably fair to say they are around there. Maybe in the 4 through 8 range seems a bit fair.

It's just hard to tell with these non power conference teams that don't play anyone.

Projected 3 seed which is more resume based that metric based and that makes sense since their resume isn't all that great.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Composite rankings average them around 6.

It's probably fair to say they are around there. Maybe in the 4 through 8 range seems a bit fair.

It's just hard to tell with these non power conference teams that don't play anyone.

Projected 3 seed which is more resume based that metric based and that makes sense since their resume isn't all that great.
Aren’t they down two starters? That’s just freaking impressive.

Is VA even a good win anymore? I don’t keep up.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It’s gonna be hard now to get a lot of movement in net rankings unless some teams lose multiple games and we win out.
When it comes to actual seeding, it will be much more subjective. More local interest, less poll driven. Baring more injuries or some COVID event, if we keep winning for most part, we’ll be in consideration.

The SEC winning the challenge yesterday and looking like the best conference in the country can only help UK. If it’s close with us and somebody like UCLA or Purdue for a 1 or 2 seed hopefully conference strength will be the tiebreaker as it has been traditionally for the committee.

Kansas is currently on the 1 or 2 line. Who knows might come down to UK or KU and winning @ KU could only help our cause in that as well.

I know this has been discussed, but the new computer rankings with sophisticated algorithms emphasizing competition all have Gonzaga #1. The best SOS ranking I can find for them is 145 and more than half of their games are Quad 4s. They may be the best team, but it just makes no sense.

I know this has been discussed, but the new computer rankings with sophisticated algorithms emphasizing competition all have Gonzaga #1. The best SOS ranking I can find for them is 145 and more than half of their games are Quad 4s. They may be the best team, but it just makes no sense.
Totally agree but let them drag that #1 ranking around in the dance and all the pressure that comes with it.

Reactions: deep3

It makes sense to me.

With the advent of sophisticated algorithms, we can put teams on a level playing field regardless what the SOS is.
I think a lot of people see Gonzaga and think they are number 1 because they play a weak schedule. But the true of the matter is Gonzaga is number 1 DESPITE playing a weak schedule. These systems DO penalize them for playing weaker competition but they have beaten that competition by so much, it doesn't really matter.

Another way of putting things is Gonzaga is outscoring teams in their conference by more points per possession this season (and last season) than what they were doing in the past.

While the WCC isn't a good conference, it certainly didn't get weaker over the years. In fact, if anything they have been somewhat better this season. So the fact that the Zags are outscoring them by more points than they have in the past despite the conference being slightly better, that should say something at least.

And this also illustrates the fact that the best teams don't always have the best resumes. It's two different things. The committee for power conference teams rate the resumes and seed accordingly. The issue is when they run into these mid majors that lack not only quality wins but quality games period, it's tough to access and so it seems to be different rules.

Which isn't fair but it is what it is I guess. Actually IMO I feel like we should be trying to pick the best at large teams and not necessarily the best resumes. There's always a handful of teams that are deserving to get in but miss out due to poor resumes.

People can say it doesn't benefit Gonzaga in March to be playing those teams. They can say they don't deserve a 1 seed. But at the end of the day that team is going to be the favorite in every neutral court game they play. So to me that means that it's not just systems that feel they are the best team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT