ADVERTISEMENT

UK TV Schedule Kinda Sucks For Early Season

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
So, in the wake of BW Game not being broadcast, I was looking ahead at the schedule, and it well, sucks for a lot of BBN to tune in

Wed.Oct 23
Kentucky Logo
vs.
Kentucky Wesleyan College

Kentucky Wesleyan (EXH)​

Lexington, Ky. | Rupp Arena
7:00 pm
Link Image
Tue.Oct 29
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Minnesota State Mankato (EXH)​

Link Image
Mon.Nov 4
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Wright State​

Link Image
Sat.Nov 9
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Bucknell​

4:00 pm
Link Image
Tue.Nov 12
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Duke​

Atlanta | State Farm Arena
9:00 pm
State Farm Champions ClassicLink Image
Tue.Nov 19
Kentucky Logo
vs.
Lipscomb University

Lipscomb​

BBN InvitationalLink Image
Fri.Nov 22
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Jackson State​

BBN Invitational | Unity Series
SEC +

Only TWO of the Next Seven Games Are on Any kind of TV Network (Duke and Wright State) and even then only the Duke game is on a standard network.

So, if you don't et SEC+ or ESPNU, you're ish out of luck on watching the Cats until Nov 12.

This is just a travesty in my opinion. I'll be able to catch almost all of these, but I know a lot of people in rural KY don't get the best service or have access to the alt viewing options.

UK Athletics needs to do a bit better here; this is a bit awful.

So, in the wake of BW Game not being broadcast, I was looking ahead at the schedule, and it well, sucks for a lot of BBN to tune in

Wed.Oct 23
Kentucky Logo
vs.

Kentucky Wesleyan (EXH)​

Link Image
Tue.Oct 29
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Link Image
Mon.Nov 4
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Wright State​

Link Image
Sat.Nov 9
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Bucknell​

Link Image
Tue.Nov 12
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Duke​

Tue.Nov 19
Kentucky Logo
vs.
Lipscomb University

Lipscomb​

Fri.Nov 22
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Jackson State​

SEC +

Only TWO of the Next Seven Games Are on Any kind of TV Network (Duke and Wright State) and even then only the Duke game is on a standard network.

So, if you don't et SEC+ or ESPNU, you're ish out of luck on watching the Cats until Nov 12.

This is just a travesty in my opinion. I'll be able to catch almost all of these, but I know a lot of people in rural KY don't get the best service or have access to the alt viewing options.

I see your point that the schedule starts out slow with regard to big name opponents. Whether this benefits this particular team or not, I couldn’t say for sure; but I don’t really think it does. My guess is the team could have used a couple more games against high major conference opponents (although I have to admit I say this without looking into the potential strength of any of the opponents other than Duke). Do you know if Pope had much, if any, impact on this schedule or was it already made by Calipari (and the administration)? I know the schedule wasn’t “finalized” or put out publicly until recently, but again I don’t know how much of it was already set.

As to the point about rural Kentuckians not being able to see the games, I doubt that’s an issue. We have the same access to streaming services and also some cable services offering a pretty wide array of channels with an eye to UK games. Although I can’t speak for everybody in every locale, and the broadband speeds in some areas may (may?) not be what they are in some urban areas, I suspect they’re generally more than adequate for watching games on the streaming services.

I see your point that the schedule starts out slow with regard to big name opponents. Whether this benefits this particular team or not, I couldn’t say for sure; but I don’t really think it does. My guess is the team could have used a couple more games against high major conference opponents (although I have to admit I say this without looking into the potential strength of any of the opponents other than Duke). Do you know if Pope had much, if any, impact on this schedule or was it already made by Calipari (and the administration)? I know the schedule wasn’t “finalized” or put out publicly until recently, but again I don’t know how much of it was already set.

As to the point about rural Kentuckians not being able to see the games, I doubt that’s an issue. We have the same access to streaming services and also some cable services offering a pretty wide array of channels with an eye to UK games. Although I can’t speak for everybody in every locale, and the broadband speeds in some areas may (may?) not be what they are in some urban areas, I suspect they’re generally more than adequate for watching games on the streaming services.
Nah, I'm not griping about the schedule as much as the availability to watch for some people.

And you'd be very surprised how limited it is in certain areas. I know just outside of Hopkinsville, and we're talking even like 5 miles, there's areas where you can only get dialup or have to shell out for expensive satellite. It's slowly getting a bit better in terms of availability but it's taking time. That doesn't help folks that don't have availability for those options atm.

Nah, I'm not griping about the schedule as much as the availability to watch for some people.

And you'd be very surprised how limited it is in certain areas. I know just outside of Hopkinsville, and we're talking even like 5 miles, there's areas where you can only get dialup or have to shell out for expensive satellite. It's slowly getting a bit better in terms of availability but it's taking time. That doesn't help folks that don't have availability for those options atm.
Yeah, as I said I can’t speak to every locale around the state. The issue with broadband in the area you’re talking about needs to be improved there pronto. It’s too important in today’s economy. And that issue outside Hopkinsville does surprise me somewhat. I live half the time in Lexington and half the time about as deep in the mountains of EKy and rural as you can get. My broadband and TV service in EKy doesn’t suffer much if any by comparison NOW (obviously wasn’t always true). Of course, that is based on how I use the internet (e.g., research & streaming) - but I know folks there who work from home for Apple and other international companies via the internet. I would have assumed WKy. with its easier terrain would have been in a better spot than EKy. in regard to broadband service. But then again, I suppose WKy. is spread out quite a bit too; and so companies wouldn’t love the idea of running lines when homes are a good distance apart.

In regard to the schedule, however, your original post has made me curious as to how much of this season's schedule was preordained for Pope. For example, was it mostly set up under the Calipari regime due to his usual heavy reliance on freshmen?

Yeah, as I said I can’t speak to every locale around the state. The issue with broadband in the area you’re talking about needs to be improved there pronto. It’s too important in today’s economy. And that issue outside Hopkinsville does surprise me somewhat. I live half the time in Lexington and half the time about as deep in the mountains of EKy and rural as you can get. My broadband and TV service in EKy doesn’t suffer much if any by comparison NOW (obviously wasn’t always true). Of course, that is based on how I use the internet (e.g., research & streaming) - but I know folks there who work from home for Apple and other international companies via the internet. I would have assumed WKy. with its easier terrain would have been in a better spot than EKy. in regard to broadband service. But then again, I suppose WKy. is spread out quite a bit too; and so companies wouldn’t love the idea of running lines when homes are a good distance apart.

In regard to the schedule, however, your original post has made me curious as to how much of this season's schedule was preordained for Pope. For example, was it mostly set up under the Calipari regime due to his usual heavy reliance on freshmen?

It's gotten better, but it's just slow. Running lines cost money as you alluded to; and often times companies want kickbacks or incentives to run said lines. They won't run it just because Aunt Petunia wants it.

It's just tough to funnel that around here at times- our economy isn't rip roaring to say the least. If you can get service it's usually stable and good. The issue is getting it. North Christian used to be the toughest spot because it's hilly and full of hollars. So satellite is still not a great option in spots up there.

Internet in general needs to be improved across the entirety of the US. But as you mentioned, distance is a pain.

Reactions: G-PIP

Wed.Oct 23
Kentucky Logo
vs.

Kentucky Wesleyan (EXH)​

Link Image
Tue.Oct 29
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Link Image
Mon.Nov 4
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Wright State​

Link Image
Sat.Nov 9
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Bucknell​

Link Image
Tue.Nov 12
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Duke​

Tue.Nov 19
Kentucky Logo
vs.
Lipscomb University

Lipscomb​

Fri.Nov 22
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Jackson State​

SEC +

If you have access to internet you have access to ESPN+...you just have to pay for it.

Hav family in Jackson County and no problems connecting there.

Well if you are a fan and want to watch, you'll subscribe to a streaming package that offers the games. That's what I do and then I cancel after the season. I don't understand saying that lots of fans can't watch.

You are right in a way here, but most of those people in those areas who have TV have it via Dish or Direct TV and they still get SEC+ I know my family does. You don't need internet its part of the TV package on the dish.

Well if you are a fan and want to watch, you'll subscribe to a streaming package that offers the games. That's what I do and then I cancel after the season. I don't understand saying that lots of fans can't watch.
I think what he is saying is a lot of folks in EKY don't have internet capable of streaming TV. Most of those people are forced to get their TV through Dish or Direct TV or get no TV at all. I know places that still only have dial up believe it or not lol.

Wed.Oct 23
Kentucky Logo
vs.

Kentucky Wesleyan (EXH)​

Link Image
Tue.Oct 29
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Link Image
Mon.Nov 4
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Wright State​

Link Image
Sat.Nov 9
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Bucknell​

Link Image
Tue.Nov 12
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Duke​

Tue.Nov 19
Kentucky Logo
vs.
Lipscomb University

Lipscomb​

Fri.Nov 22
Kentucky Logo
vs.
UK Athletics

Jackson State​

SEC +

Problem solved

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT