ADVERTISEMENT

UK took 24 threes/game last year. Cody Fueger said they want 35 threes/game this year.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Our fans are going to love the new style.

Calipari had three of the best three point shooters in school history, and he thought it was a big deal to take a mere 24 threes/game last year.

Pope is going to make Cal's definition of "spacing" look like grade school coaching.

Put up 32 a game last year at BYU.
Image-5-14-24-at-5-41-PM.jpg

If we land Lanier and Almonor:

Koby Brea: 100/201 = 50% from three
Chaz Lanier: 106/241 = 44% from three
Kerr Kriisa: 61/144 = 42% from three
Ansley Almonor: 93/236 = 39% from three
Otega Oweh: 20/53 = 38% from three
Andrew Carr: 36/97 = 37% from three

Plus Chandler, Perry, and Noah.

We would have 9 legit gunslingers to spread the court with. This could end up looking like the modern version of Pitino's Bombinos, only with legitimate interior and perimeter defense as well.

Calipari had three of the best three point shooters in school history, and he thought it was a big deal to take a mere 24 threes/game last year.

Pope is going to make Cal's definition of "spacing" look like grade school coaching.
Imagine saying a mere 24 3’s a game like 24 isn’t a lot. SOS showing his stupidity yet again. You can take shots at Cal without making moronic statements.

There is an analytical rationale for doing it. But a really good offense should be able to also get some easy buckets at or near the rim. Bama took another step this year because they improved their interior D ANd got to the rim a bit more. It wasn’t 3 or nothing.

We would have 9 legit gunslingers to spread the court with. This could end up looking like the modern version of Pitino's Bombinos, only with legitimate interior and perimeter defense as well.
Butler will likely be a better shooter in Pope's system than his #'s reflect. Aside from shooting, we have Amir Williams and Butler's defensive abilities to lean on. Those type players will hold guys accountable bc defense should be a team directive.

Taking them is one thing… making them is the key to keeping it at 35.

I think we will have a low post game and attack the rim. It won’t always be 4 or 5 out.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Imagine saying a mere 24 3’s a game like 24 isn’t a lot. SOS showing his stupidity yet again. You can take shots at Cal without making moronic statements.
Imagine running a username generator to try and create your 50th sock account on here to take up for daddy. Calboi. Ellen's been out of peanut butter ever since they got those dogs.

This board is obsessed with the number of 3s we take. I dont know why people think it's the end all be all of good offense, but it's such narrow minded thinking.

Not a single team in the top 10 of offensive efficiency took 30+ 3s per game last year. Eight of the top ten took less than 25 per game.

Sounds great as long as they make a ton each game.
With the shooters we have, I don't think that should be a problem.

For conservative measures for Example #1 let's say we take 35 threes and make 36% on the year. This would be equivalent to 54% from 2 pt territory

In this example, this would mean ALL of our top 5 shooters all shoot well below their average or we have a bunch of guys shooting that shouldn't be (doubtful).

So for Example #2, let's say we shoot 40% (MP 1st season with BYU, they shot 42%) on 35 attempts, that would be equivalent to 61.5% from 2 pt territory.

Plus, what the THREAT of 3 pt shooters lead to are also a bunch of easy buckets at the basket due to spacing for drives and backdoor cuts.

Imagine running a username generator to try and create your 50th sock account on here to take up for daddy. Calboi. Ellen's been out of peanut butter ever since they got those dogs.
Imagine being a man pretending to be a woman on a message board. Imagine crying about player’s loyalty then saying players are dead to you when they leave. LOL at the joke you are fake ass weirdo.

STOP PRETENDING TO BE WOMMAN AND CATFISHING RAFTARDS!

This board is obsessed with the number of 3s we take. I dont know why people think it's the end all be all of good offense, but it's such narrow minded thinking.

Not a single team in the top 10 of offensive efficiency took 30+ 3s per game last year. Eight of the top ten took less than 25 per game.

A natural reaction to (other than last year) Cal’s reluctance to use it or maximize it or draw up plays to utilize it. At one point a couple years ago think we had like the 300th ranked number of 3 pointers made or shot or something ridiculous like that. Ended the decades long consecutive 3 point shot made in a game as well. It became a focus of the fans because of Cals unwillingness to modernize his approach and the new reliance on the 3 pointer in modern basketball.

Thank you for joining 9 minutes ago to enlighten us with your 35tg personality on here.
They might be a troll but they're not exactly wrong with that statement. Eight of the top ten teams in offensive efficiency last year took fewer than 25 3s per game. Our 24 3s per game last year were a completely fine number to take per game and it wasn't even close to part of the problem with that team. This board is way too obsessed with 3 point shooting and for some reason thinks taking a lot of them automatically makes an offensive system better.

At one point a couple years ago think we had like the 300th ranked number of 3 pointers made or shot or something ridiculous like that.
But this is kind of my point. In 2022 we were ranked 351st in the percentage of our field goal attempts that were 3s. But the offense was ranked 5th in the country. We clearly had an elite offense despite taking very few 3s, so did it really matter?

But this is kind of my point. In 2022 we were ranked 351st in the percentage of our field goal attempts that were 3s. But the offense was ranked 5th in the country. We clearly had an elite offense despite taking very few 3s, so did it really matter?

Are you serious? We lost to St Peters and had the National Player of the Year. We scored 79 points in overtime. That’s fine if our offensive efficiency was high because we scored 107 against Tennessee in January but at the end of the day a well balanced attack that utilizes the 3 point shot (and not long 2s) lends itself better to winning, as evidenced by our complete lack of success when it matters the last 5 years. Almost every game we lost to finish the year under Cal we lost due to a poor offensive performance. 15 years of a sample size shows it wasn’t just “bad luck” but a pattern of poor offensive schemes and philosophy.

In 2022, we had the best big in CB that was probably the best rebounder in our history. In other years, we had top offenses was when we were great in transition, which starts with defense that leads to easy buckets. The 3 pt line is a great talent equalizer and can cover up other flaws. It can make a good team, a great team when a team is a threat to score at all 3 levels.

Reactions: delk4three

Would be hard to have a true bad shooting night with so many contributors too

They might be a troll but they're not exactly wrong with that statement. Eight of the top ten teams in offensive efficiency last year took fewer than 25 3s per game. Our 24 3s per game last year were a completely fine number to take per game and it wasn't even close to part of the problem with that team. This board is way too obsessed with 3 point shooting and for some reason thinks taking a lot of them automatically makes an offensive system better.
Taking uncontested 3s IS good, though. Look at the NBA. The looks guys get and cash in on can help blow games open or close the gap.

The 3 National Championships we’ve won in the 3 point era

1996: 18.6 3’s per game
1998: 17.4 3’s per game
2012: 14.8 3’s per game

Yeah, we “only” averaged 24 a game last year. Gimmic offenses are for when you have an inferior talent and need to try to manufacture an edge to cover for it. We have good talent and don’t have to be extreme.

Hey sir. Your facts are not welcome here.

I also think board rules require me to tell you to cheer for Arkansas now......

The 3 National Championships we’ve won in the 3 point era

1996: 18.6 3’s per game
1998: 17.4 3’s per game
2012: 14.8 3’s per game

Yeah, we “only” averaged 24 a game last year. Gimmic offenses are for when you have an inferior talent and need to try to manufacture an edge to cover for it. We have good talent and don’t have to be extreme.

I feel like comparing stats to teams from 30 years ago isn’t a great comparison for making a point. The game has changed, even from 2012.

I feel like comparing stats to teams from 30 years ago isn’t a great comparison for making a point. The game has changed, even from 2012.
Valid point. The 24.2 3’s per game that we shot are more than 4 of the last 5 National Champions, only 2023 UConn shot .7 more per game and more than 75% of teams shot last season. Referring to the 24.2 threes we shot last season as a mere 24 threes as Son_of Saul did is ridiculous.

Reactions: Doodah859
Valid point. The 24.2 3’s per game that we shot are more than 4 of the last 5 National Champions, only 2023 UConn shot .7 more per game and more than 75% of teams shot last season. Referring to the 24.2 threes we shot last season as a mere 24 threes is ridiculous.

That I would agree with. Our offense last year was the best we’ve ever had under Cal. A completely unexpected (and very welcome) outlier. No one complained about our offense last year and most would be thrilled to have a similar one moving forward.

You can win a national championship taking 30 3s per game.
You can win a national championship taking 10 3s per game.

The sooner people realize this the better.

There are four factors to having a good offense and conversely a good defense.

Effective FG%
Rebounding %
Turnover %
Getting to the line.

That's it. If you have a team with a bunch of good 3 point shooters, you take more threes. If you don't, you don't. I get a lot of the Cal criticism but I never got that one. We didn't take many threes for a lot of those seasons because we just didn't have good three point shooting teams.

Last season we led the nation is 3 point FG% and the number of threes compared to all shots (3PA%) rose from 330th in 2023 to 179th in 2024. You could maybe make an argument we should have shot more 3s but honestly we were 32nd in 2 point FG%. Maybe we had the right balance there because we were 5th overall in effective FG%.

You play to your strengths. That's how you become an effective and efficient team.

I want a team that can shoot the lights out from 3, but I don’t want to be a live by the 3 die by the 3 team. Where a cold shooting night ends your season. I want guys that can attack the rim and post up as well if needed. It seems like pope has built a pretty balanced offense. And I think his scheme makes a balanced offense. Layups or 3s seems to be the modern philosophy, but being able to do at least a little of all the above is what will likely make you elite.

You can win a national championship taking 30 3s per game.
You can win a national championship taking 10 3s per game.

The sooner people realize this the better.
What many fail to comprehend is that high 3 point volume does not mean good two point shots are ignored. What it entails is that the bad 2's, shots from outside the paint and inside the 3 point lane, get replaced by 3's. Clumping 2's into 1 category in the box score concealed that even though Cal's teams didn't take many 3's traditionally, they weren't any less dependent on jump shooting than a high volume 3 point shooting team like Bama. UK and Bama could take the same number of jump shots in a game, but Bama's would be almost all 3 point attempts while UK's would be half 3's and half 2 point jumpers.

This is born out when you look at shot distribution. Bama last season took 42% while UK took 37%. Alabama, despite their reputation as dependent on 3 point jump shooting, was less dependent on jump shooting overall for FG's than UK. Bama takes a ton of 3's, but they take less jump shots overall. UK's jump shot was hidden thanks to how FG's are presented in box scores.

Hope you're right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT