ADVERTISEMENT

UK shooting 41.4 % from three point range as a team

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018

UK currently shooting 41.4% as a team from three point range. Its the best in Cal's 14 yrs at Kentucky (2011 shot 39.7 and went to the FF). Its probably the best ever at UK for an entire season. Ill check later.

Discuss, and dont tell me 11 games isnt a large enough sample size because it is.

If we stay healthy Imma need one of you to find a pair of sharp scissors; its just that simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Discuss, and dont tell me 11 games isnt a large enough sample size because it is.
No, it’s not. Especially when all but 3 of those games were against mid major level competition (which includes UL). Haven’t yet played any conference games. Haven’t yet taken any true road trips.

There are plenty of likely cold shooting nights still ahead for this team.

Currently, we are 3rd in the country in 3-point shooting percentage, only behind Dayton and Baylor. Baylor is shooting a ridiculous 44.7%, by the way. I'd be surprised if we continue that clip in SEC play. Everything gets more difficult in conference play.

We're also 4th in the country in points scored. That will also drop; however, most others will also presumably drop during conference play as well.

No, it’s not. Especially when all but 3 of those games were against mid major level competition (which includes UL). Haven’t yet played any conference games. Haven’t yet taken any true road trips.

11 is a decent number of games, actually the number of attempted 3’s is what you want to look at (280). Like last year it probably took us 15 games to shoot that many. 280 shots puts the 95% confidence interval around that 41.4% as +/- 5.8%.

But you are correct that about 1/2 of our competition haven’t been competitive, so that % is likely to go down some.

Currently, we are 3rd in the country in 3-point shooting percentage, only behind Dayton and Baylor. Baylor is shooting a ridiculous 44.7%, by the way. I'd be surprised if we continue that clip in SEC play. Everything gets more difficult in conference play.

We're also 4th in the country in points scored. That will also drop; however, most others will also presumably drop during conference play as well.
This. I expect more slugfests and lower scoring games in conference. I would be thrilled if we shot 48/38/75 for the year.

Likely to go down...true...because that's an impressive number. However, if we can keep the same spacing and ball movement with our big guys now showing up, I feel good with Reed and Reeves letting loose. Not quite sold on Dillingham's outside shot yet, but liking what I see.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes

UK currently shooting 41.4% as a team from three point range. Its the best in Cal's 14 yrs at Kentucky (2011 shot 39.7 and went to the FF). Its probably the best ever at UK for an entire season. Ill check later.

If we stay healthy Imma need one of you to find a pair of sharp scissors; its just that simple.
No, let’s see where it’s at after 20 games. Most of those 11 weren’t against very good competition

Reactions: NociHTTP

What? Lol, a third of the season isn't a large enough sample size?

And for every cupcake we played, then we had a team in the top100, with 3 games where we played top25 competition.

If our stats don't matter because it's "early" then no one's team stats matter. None of these metrics and predictive models matter.

Idk if we will shoot 41% the rest of the way, shooting is rhythmic and sometimes shots aren't falling.. but I'd be shocked if we fell below 35% as a team, and I also wouldn't be shocked to see us hover around the high 30s for ros.

It’s a large enough sample size to prove a negative, DJ Wagner can’t shoot. It’s too small of a sample size to prove a positive. Remember where you and stop being positive.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Take away the 3-17 from 3 clunker Antonio Reeves had against Kansas and he’s shooting over 55% on the year and we’re 42.9% on the year as a team.

The 2023-24 Cats current 41.4% three point shooting, if sustained all yr, would be the highest team 3 point % of any UK team in history (the 3 pt shot has been in existence in college basketball since the 1986-87 season (or 37 yrs):

Here are the full season leaders for UK:

95-96 39.7 %
10-11 39.7%
92-93 39.4 %

This UK team is on pace to top any other UK team in 3 point % by nearly a full 2%!

Thats ridiculous!!!

Food for thought:
8 UK teams have made the FF with a lower team 3 pt shooting %, 5 have made the title game and 3 have cut nets.

Lets keep shooting lights out!

Last edited:
If the right players were the only ones shooting 3s it would be even higher.
Yes, Wagner, Edwards, and Thiero should only be shooting wide open shots from a pass inside/out after the shot clock has gone down some. Their % goes up in that scenario.

11 games is enough to know that this team can shoot the ball but not enough to say that it'll stay that way. Reed is shooting lights out. His % alone has to come down.

Take away Wagner and Edwards 3s and the rest of the team is shooting over 46%. Wagner and Edwards shoot a combined 26% from 3, but hey, they are good enough to start.

I actually think we stay pretty close to that. I personally believe that DJ and Edward’s both improve and the other shooters stay about where they are. I guess I’m just optimistic.

Disagree...the reason we're shooting so good is because we're getting good, open looks via the offense. If we were to start targeting our 2/3 best shooters for more shots, the defense would react accordingly and the open looks would dry up.

Some might say playing our best 4 three point shooters the most minutes does what you mention plus makes it challenging to stop one of the 4 from getting a wide open look.

I'm not saying Wagner, edwards and thiero should never shoot 3s but the first 2 have too many attempts IMO. 3.6 per game and 2.8 per game are a lot for poor shooters.

Some might say playing our best 4 three point shooters the most minutes does what you mention plus makes it challenging to stop one of the 4 from getting a wide open look.

I'm not saying Wagner, edwards and thiero should never shoot 3s but the first 2 have too many attempts IMO. 3.6 per game and 2.8 per game are a lot for poor shooters.
For reference Wheeler shot 31% & 37% from 3 his two years here. Wagner & Edwards are shooting 28% & 26% this year. All numbers rounded up.

Reactions: UK96GOAT
11 games is enough to know that this team can shoot the ball but not enough to say that it'll stay that way. Reed is shooting lights out. His % alone has to come down.

Says who?

This team will end the season somewhere around 40% from 3.

Says who?

This team will end the season somewhere around 40% from 3.
Hope so but statistically, it's not likely at all. That's who says, too...statistics, not me. Are you stalking me? Is this what having a stalker feels like? We disagree a lot so one of us must be a dumbass. Lol!

Since you said "somewhere around40%", you'll be right, depending on what that means but ..

between 34.0 and 35.9%

Historically, NCAA teams have collectively shot three-pointers somewhere between 34.0 and 35.9%. That fact is so reliable and consistent that in literally every season from 1991-92 through 2018-19, the teams of NCAA Division I combined to shoot in that range.Sep 7, 2020

Somebody save this and post it in April,

Last edited:
Take away the 3-17 from 3 clunker Antonio Reeves had against Kansas and he’s shooting over 55% on the year and we’re 42.9% on the year as a team.
holy crap you are a miserable SOB. " Its enough to prove a negative " Only a truly negative whiny female dog would take time to say something so stupid ( and not true either , that it's enough to prove one or that Wagner can't shoot threes . ) It is enough time to start to get a good feel for a team or person and also Wanger isn't a great shooter from 3 of coarse but he will have games this season , like he already has , where he goes 3 for 5 from 3 or 2 for 3 ect and shoots a good % .He has no issues with form he just needs to put in hours and reps and gain confidence. By NBA year 3 he will be a very good shooter .

holy crap you are a miserable SOB. " Its enough to prove a negative " Only a truly negative whiny female dog would take time to say something so stupid ( and not true either , that it's enough to prove one or that Wagner can't shoot threes . ) It is enough time to start to get a good feel for a team or person and also Wanger isn't a great shooter from 3 of coarse but he will have games this season , like he already has , where he goes 3 for 5 from 3 or 2 for 3 ect and shoots a good % .He has no issues with form he just needs to put in hours and reps and gain confidence. By NBA year 3 he will be a very good shooter .
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you didn’t comprehend what I was saying. My comment was meant for the people who said it’s not enough of a sample size to celebrate our teams great 3 point shooting. I was saying that it’s funny that it’s not enough sample time to prove a positive but it is enough for people to proclaim DJ Wagner is a poor shooter.

Oh but female dog and such. I hope this got you a bunch of message board points with the message board clique. I’m sure they’re all real
proud.

Here's the all time, before and after moving the 3pt line back..

Well, here’s the chart:

Data also indicates that the percentage goes up for teams that are more selective and shoot fewer 3 pointers. Not saying that's what we should do. Hell, we have a very good shooting team and obviously, 3 points is more than two points. Lol! But even if we become the best 3 pt shooting team in history, we can still be well below 40%

Last edited:
Hope so but statistically, it's not likely at all. That's who says, too...statistics, not me. Are you stalking me? Is this what having a stalker feels like? We disagree a lot so one of us must be a dumbass. Lol!

Since you said "somewhere around40%", you'll be right, depending on what that means but ..

between 34.0 and 35.9%

Historically, NCAA teams have collectively shot three-pointers somewhere between 34.0 and 35.9%. That fact is so reliable and consistent that in literally every season from 1991-92 through 2018-19, the teams of NCAA Division I combined to shoot in that range.Sep 7, 2020

Somebody save this and post it in April,

I dont remember ever talking to you, but yeah save this post. This team won't shoot 35 or 36% from 3. It'll be 39-41%.

Reactions: bigbluelou
It'll probably go down...........things tend to regress a bit to the mean.

But IMO we'll still be an above average three point shooting team. I think the sample is big enough to suggest that. You also have to remember that for some players like Reeves and Mitchell, there's a bigger sample than just 11 games. We knew those guys were good three point shooters coming into the season. Granted Reeves is sitting above his average but there was every bit of evidence coming into this season that we'd be a good 3 point shooting team and it's proving to be true.

While I'm thrilled at how good we are from 3, I'm hoping those numbers don't come back down to earth and/or our freshman hitting the wall. But I'm supremely confident about this team.

Shooting
Turnovers
Rebounds
Getting to the line.

This is obvious but this is why u want to be good at as many different aspects as possible. Because we ARE going to have poor shooting nights in the future. Possibly even during an NCAA tournament game.

Right now we are
10th in Effective FG%
3rd in Turnover%
219th in Offensive Rebounding %
296th in getting to the line

Now part of that poor rebounding figure was due to Bradshaw being out but I would love to see that number get better. Obviously not going to be where we were when we had Oscar gobbling up boards but we need to get it better than that.

UofL wasn’t a true road trip? lol just cuz we out fan’d them in their own place doesn’t mean it doesn’t count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT