ADVERTISEMENT

UK offers Trevor Keels and Keels adds UK to final list

I already think Dook is going to have a few too many next year and some think Baldwin is even going to pick them. I mean some might transfer out, but they brought a bunch of middle of the road guys in this year. I know he doesn't play the same position as Baldwin but with who they are supposed to return and who they have coming in it is going to be tough to get minutes. As for Keels I had read on him awhile back but I thought it said he was probably picking Virginia and I knew we hadn't offered so I stopped paying attention. So Virginia isn't still the leader?

With our guard situation and who we have coming in, he wouldn't have much competition. I have felt like Hardy was off the board for a while and was hoping we would put all our energy into the kid that plays for Herro's team Brandin. This definitely seems odd. Either Cal knows he has to start adding more shooters or maybe we aren't in as good as I thought with Brandin. Getting both would be amazing. As far as SG's go I love Brandin's game I don't know much about Keels. I heard he was a knockdown shooter and that's it.

Coming in this late with Dook, Virginia, and Nova heavily involved in strange. Cal made it a point last year not to be the hat on the table with guys like Green, Todd, and Christopher. There has to be a reason for this. Wasn't Keels supposed to announce soon or am I thinking of someone else? With things as bad as they are I can't see Cal throwing in to be a hat on the table and look like we get beat out by Dook. There has to be some mutual interest or something must have had changed.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The silent factor comes in here. Ralph Dalton has said Cal likes to keep stuff secret. Cal has told recruits to be quiet about their commitments. Sure he could say all these nice things about Duke,UVA and Nova but in reality he could been a verbal to UK. You never know.

The silent factor comes in here. Ralph Dalton has said Cal likes to keep stuff secret. Cal has told recruits to be quiet about their commitments. Sure he could say all these nice things about Duke,UVA and Nova but in reality he could been a verbal to UK. You never know.
Like Nolan Hickman and Brandin

Last edited:
I already think Dook is going to have a few too many next year and some think Baldwin is even going to pick them. I mean some might transfer out, but they brought a bunch of middle of the road guys in this year. I know he doesn't play the same position as Baldwin but with who they are supposed to return and who they have coming in it is going to be tough to get minutes. As for Keels I had read on him awhile back but I thought it said he was probably picking Virginia and I knew we hadn't offered so I stopped paying attention. So Virginia isn't still the leader?

With our guard situation and who we have coming in, he wouldn't have much competition. I have felt like Hardy was off the board for a while and was hoping we would put all our energy into the kid that plays for Herro's team Brandin. This definitely seems odd. Either Cal knows he has to start adding more shooters or maybe we aren't in as good as I thought with Brandin. Getting both would be amazing. As far as SG's go I love Brandin's game I don't know much about Keels. I heard he was a knockdown shooter and that's it.

Coming in this late with Dook, Virginia, and Nova heavily involved in strange. Cal made it a point last year not to be the hat on the table with guys like Green, Todd, and Christopher. There has to be a reason for this. Wasn't Keels supposed to announce soon or am I thinking of someone else? With things as bad as they are I can't see Cal throwing in to be a hat on the table and look like we get beat out by Dook. There has to be some mutual interest or something must have had changed.
Brandin can play the 3 by the way. Has mostly played 3 and 2. Playing 1 on his high school team

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Nova. Keels trains with Justin Moore daily in the offseason and also went to school with Brandon Slater.

It may be just a hat on the table. It may be that Cal knows ,without a doubt, Hardy is gone. Whatever the reason, I am glad he is taking a shot at Keels. It cant hurt.
This absolutely breaks my heart. Hardy has the ideal skill set to actually thrive under Cal. I thought forever this guy was a lock, if he indeed went to college.

No matter who comes here, I hope Cal changes up his BS offensive system. He must be more flexible to suit his personnel. Especially with our roster turnover.

I don't know how anyone can get excited about recruiting these days when here we sit with the #1 recruiting class and the worst season in program history. Clearly, recruiting isn't the answer.

From the UVa side, we don’t really expect TK to pick us.

1. He doesn’t expect to play in college long, and wants to play some PG. We haven’t had anyone leave for the NBA after just 1-2 years, and have K. Clark at PG for another year, with Reece Beekman ready to take over when he does.

2. While recruiting TK we’ve added a 4 star wing from New Zealand (Murray) for 2021, and a 4 star wing (McKneely) for 2022. Feels like the coaches have a hunch TK won’t happen.

3. Although he is a VA kid and plays at a school that produces a lot of D1 talent, we haven’t had a single one pick UVa.

Reactions: GG24
I don't know how anyone can get excited about recruiting these days when here we sit with the #1 recruiting class and the worst season in program history. Clearly, recruiting isn't the answer.
You’re right. If we have no players at all we can’t even play the games to lose. Genius.

From the UVa side, we don’t really expect TK to pick us.

1. He doesn’t expect to play in college long, and wants to play some PG. We haven’t had anyone leave for the NBA after just 1-2 years, and have K. Clark at PG for another year, with Reece Beekman ready to take over when he does.

2. While recruiting TK we’ve added a 4 star wing from New Zealand (Murray) for 2021, and a 4 star wing (McKneely) for 2022. Feels like the coaches have a hunch TK won’t happen.

3. Although he is a VA kid and plays at a school that produces a lot of D1 talent, we haven’t had a single one pick UVa.
Sounds like good roster construction and forecasting.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Sure it is. But what you're recruiting to accomplish is key.

Just unreal why we didn’t offer earlier. He just doesn’t fit into Cal’s stereotyped player profile. I sure hope Lucas can talk some sense into Cal’s dumb ass about the type of player he should recruit. Or maybe he could talk Cal into quitting.

Sounds like good roster construction and forecasting.

Adding TK would be a luxury at this point. Aside from the guys I mentioned, we have Morsell, McCorkle & Abdur-Rahim on the wings, all with 2-3 years left after this year.

Reactions: G-PIP
This absolutely breaks my heart. Hardy has the ideal skill set to actually thrive under Cal. I thought forever this guy was a lock, if he indeed went to college.

No matter who comes here, I hope Cal changes up his BS offensive system. He must be more flexible to suit his personnel. Especially with our roster turnover.
You are right, Hardy has a unique skill set. While I try not to get too hyped about any recruit, Hardy was the rare guy that we all could feel excited about. I cant count him a loss because we never had him but man, he would have shined here. jmo

Kid is the 20th ranked recruit, that tells me he's not an elite shooter and probably not all that athletic. He's 6'5", so he has good size, but he's in that 2nd tier range. These are the guys that aren't highly skilled, dont have much of a bb iq and only plan to stay 1 season.

If you work out a set plan with him now and have an understanding that he stays in the program multiple years or until he is a solid first round pick, cool, but that's not how it's been happening.

Honestly, I'd rather get a proven grad transfer that is a good shooter and scorer at the college level instead off the AAU circuit.

It actually is "the answer". It's the sole reason this team has struggled. It's the only difference in this team and the rest that we have had. We missed on a star pg.
2018 would have been alot like this season had we not had SGA. The early games were brutal

He will thrive here if he responds well to be yanked for missing a shot or two after being in for a couple of minutes. Also, if thinks coaches who yell GOOOOOOO!!!!!! DRIVE!!!!!! are offering sublime tactical advice, he'll fit in well here.

Kid is the 20th ranked recruit, that tells me he's not an elite shooter and probably not all that athletic. He's 6'5", so he has good size, but he's in that 2nd tier range. These are the guys that aren't highly skilled, dont have much of a bb iq and only plan to stay 1 season.

If you work out a set plan with him now and have an understanding that he stays in the program multiple years or until he is a solid first round pick, cool, but that's not how it's been happening.

Honestly, I'd rather get a proven grad transfer that is a good shooter and scorer at the college level instead off the AAU circuit.
Tremendous physical strength for a shooting guard. Has length as well. Highly competitive with an impressive basketball IQ. Plays a power game but can score from all three levels. Solid ball handler. Good passer. Has strength to be a better rebounder. Solid defender.-Jerry Meyer

Tremendous physical strength for a shooting guard. Has length as well. Highly competitive with an impressive basketball IQ. Plays a power game but can score from all three levels. Solid ball handler. Good passer. Has strength to be a better rebounder. Solid defender.-Jerry Meyer
I don’t trust his analysis of players. I don’t think he does his homework.

Reactions: RunninRichie
We need another shooter at guard.

I think we have four guards returning Askew is likely back. Hopefully Mintz returns. Maybe Cal can convince Allen to return. Hickman is on board.

One more good shooter and we will be much improved on the perimeter.

I think Podzeimski may be our best chance. If not him, probably a transfer.

Cal should bring the McNeil kid home from WVU. 38% from 3. Would be a great addition.

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
Actually, I think that might be the range where you start finding the "elite (for high school level) shooters" and better basketball skills - although usually lower. Those ranked higher are your uber athletes that, because of that athleticism, don't have to be elite shooters or more highly skilled to succeed. Those top ranked guys are generally so ranked on "talent," otherwise known as potential that may someday come to fruition.

Now, if that 20th ranked player is determined to be OAD, then I would agree you shouldn't even offer him unless you're desperate for a body at the position.

We need another shooter at guard.

I think we have four guards returning Askew is likely back. Hopefully Mintz returns. Maybe Cal can convince Allen to return. Hickman is on board.

One more good shooter and we will be much improved on the perimeter.

I think Podzeimski may be our best chance. If not him, probably a transfer.

Cal should bring the McNeil kid home from WVU. 38% from 3. Would be a great addition.
I think you're exactly right about the bare minimum need for next season. But, wouldn't you agree that UK actually needs both a quick-fire sharp-shooting 2G transfer and Podziemsky (and really even an additional long-range 2G recruit to go along with those 2 would be ideal). This roster is really unbalanced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT