ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting UK line commit Jake Pope feels good about strength gains

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas offensive tackle Jake Pope committed to Kentucky before the season started and he has never looked back.

The 6-foot-7, 275-pound (at last check) three-star prospect told Cats Illustrated early this week that recruiting has died down since that verbal commitment to Mark Stoops' program.

"Most schools have backed off," Pope said. "There are some that are trying to push the topic but it's just an occasional, 'Hey, how are you,' and there's no actual recruiting anymore. That's really over with."

Pope plans to take his official visit to Kentucky in December, when the Wildcats will presumably bring in most of their other commitments. That appears to be the only official visit he's intent on taking.

Since Pope had offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Michigan State, NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, UCF and Virginia Tech at the time of his commitment to Kentucky in May, news that he's very solid is a big positive for the Cats' 2019 recruiting class.

That early decision allowed Pope to get recruiting out of the way before it became a distraction, and that, in turn, will allow the Florida prospect to focus on his senior season and just preparing for Kentucky.

"Our first game is this Saturday against DeMatha," Pope told Cats Illustrated. "We're all pretty hyped up about it. We've been coming together a lot more compared to the past. Honestly, what I love most about this team more than any other I've ever been on at St. Thomas, especially since it's my senior year, is we're a lot closer as a team."

Pope has known what he needs to work on, both this year and in advance of a college career in the SEC.

"I wanted to get stronger," Pope said. "My thing is, I'm a quicker kind of guy. I'm taller. I didn't really have much strength coming in these last two years. But I've put in a lot of work and I feel stronger. I'm more powerful in my kick steps and run blocking."

UK's coaches haven't had an in-depth discussion of its strength program and goals for Pope, yet, but the offensive lineman told Cats Illustrated that he's sure that's the kind of detailed conversation that will take place on his official visit.

Getting to know offensive line coach John Schlarman has been something Pope has enjoyed since his commitment to the Cats.

"He's a great guy. Really funny," Pope said. "We've made a lot of bonds over things you wouldn't expect, like fishing and things like that. He's just overall a good person on and off the field. I heard he's a great coach and I've seen what he can do, that he can do great things. But the fact that he's a great person and has a good personality makes him somebody I'm excited to play for."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News