ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting UK leads for massive JUCO offensive lineman

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
This week Kentucky extended a written offer to a junior college offensive lineman.

Cats Illustrated caught up with him to find out what his reaction was upon learning that news, as well as his thoughts on the Wildcats.

Lavante Epson is a 6-foot-3, 325-pound offensive guard from Senatobia (Miss.) Northwest Mississippi C.C., and he's changed a good deal over the last two years. Once a three-star recruit from Greenville (Miss.) Washington, at 6'3 and 285 as a senior in high school during the 2016 season and as a 2017 prospect, Epson has packed on the weight and transformed his body.

Epson received a written offer from Kentucky on Friday.

"I was supposed to go down there in June but I was tied up in summer school and couldn't make it," Epson told Cats Illustrated. "Me and the offensive line coach, Coach John (Schlarman), had been texting and talking for a minute. He wanted me to come down on a visit and I told him I wouldn't be able to make it. He said, 'We're close to offering you soon, so don't worry about it.'

"To get that offer was really big. I was excited when I got that offer. I was really expecting it and when I had met with the coach 1-on-1 and he was talking to me about my weight and what I'll be playing, what my technique is like, I was excited about them. It's my first SEC offer so it means a lot."

Schlarman and Kentucky's staff like Epson primarily as an offensive guard.

"He did ask if I've ever played center because maybe I could do a little of that for them, too. I've never played center but whatever it takes to get the job done," he said.

Epson still hasn't visited Kentucky and can't do that until the season begins.

"But when I do plan my visits I will definitely be going to Kentucky," he said. "I don't know where else I'll go. I do have an offer from FAU and they want me to come down, but later in the season I'll find out about that."

Epson said Kentucky's coaches have not pressured him to make a decision and he doesn't have a timetable for making a choice. But he did tell Cats Illustrated, "Right now I think Kentucky is my favorite."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News