ADVERTISEMENT

UK is Hagans commit away from passing Duke

But, will the team be better for it? Just a question, I'm not suggesting that it won't. In fact, if Gabriel or Green were leaving, then I think these pickups are very needed (not just icing). However, assume for a minute (just for the sake of argument) that Montgomery and Haggans choosing UK means we lose Green and Gabriel. Is UK a better team?

Well, of course, we can't yet really answer that for sure. But I think there's a good argument that the answer may be "No." So, while I love adding more good young players, all the while I'm always keeping one eye on who is coming back. To me that's the key. In my opinion, if UK lost no more than Knox, SGA and Diallo, then they don't need any more players to be a contender.
And this is where my excitement truly lies for next season. Who comes back? If PJ, JV, SKJ, WG, and Green all return then I am really jacked for next year!

Reactions: G-PIP
But, will the team be better for it? Just a question, I'm not suggesting that it won't. In fact, if Gabriel or Green were leaving, then I think these pickups are very needed (not just icing). However, assume for a minute (just for the sake of argument) that Montgomery and Haggans choosing UK means we lose Green and Gabriel. Is UK a better team?

Well, of course, we can't yet really answer that for sure. But I think there's a good argument that the answer may be "No." So, while I love adding more good young players, all the while I'm always keeping one eye on who is coming back. To me that's the key. In my opinion, if UK lost no more than Knox, SGA and Diallo, then they don't need any more players to be a contender.
No credible source believes we are losing Green or Gabriel, much less both.

I'd just as well Duke have their #1 class. All that does is add pressure on us & give grumpy UK fans ammunition to fire at Cal if we don't win it all.

At Duke...3 straight #1 classes failing is ignored in public opinion it's very satisfying to this UK fan.

tough to say a fail......28-9 2017 beat the eventual champs unc 2x and won the ACCt in historic fashion and fell to a gritty USC team that did well for themselves in the tourney......29-8 2018 had some tough close losses and was 1 bounce away from the Final Four.......and many think those two classes should've done more.......this next class has plenty expectations

I must be missing somethig...isn't Hagans in the CLASS OF 2019? I'm not sure even if he comes to UK, how that will affect the current class.

I’d like to pass Duke and Nova, on the game floor. Running off guys like Matthews and SKJ doesn’t help.
So, to make your ridiculous point, you used Duke and Villanova as your examples? They're polar opposites. What it sounds like to me is that you're just complaining to complain. We are a year removed from losing to the national champs on a last second shot, but sure, it's guys like Matthews and SKJ that would change things, not De'Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, and Bam Adebayo. People like you are going to be unhappy no matter who's on the team.

Yep, when you start guys like Richards and Diallo all season, the others see that.
If SKJ and Matthews were good enough they would have been playing ahead of whoever was playing ahead of them they were never "run off".
Every school has transfers. Duke has had 10 the last 10 years, UK has had 5.

If SKJ and Matthews were good enough they would have been playing ahead of whoever was playing ahead of them they were never "run off".
Every school has transfers. Duke has had 10 the last 10 years, UK has had 5.
“Run off” can also mean pushed out the door to the NBA as well. Doesn’t have to just mean transfer to another school. Cal, along with many other coaches have certainly done that.

No credible source believes we are losing Green or Gabriel, much less both.
Great. I have no information - credible or otherwise - that either are leaving. My post was just a "would you rather" type of hypothetical question.

Reactions: coach-2
I just don't see how Kentucky can overtake a class that has the literal top3 players going to one school, plus another in the top10.

the 6th, 16th, 17th, 25th.. and the 18th from (2018). I don't know... I don't think that beats Duke's class of 4 top ten players, none of which are coming in a year younger than normal either

I place more emphasis on having the elite guys, and yes, that slider is different every year.. but there's a reason the number 10 has been ingrained in everyone's mind. Top10 and everyone else.

Where u get these rankings from

Shocked that many Duke and Kentucky fans still get so excited over these rankings. Brunson still hasn’t left, Nova is where the true excitement is IMO

Reactions: lonnie boyd
“Run off” can also mean pushed out the door to the NBA as well. Doesn’t have to just mean transfer to another school. Cal, along with many other coaches have certainly done that.
I'm not going to agree to that at all. The phrase "run off" is not the same as being encouraged to go to the draft. He isn't pushing guys out the door either.

I'm one of the very last guys that will defend the one and done, but if a kid is projected to go in the first round, then he would be a fool to go back to school. That's not pushing, it's common sense and it's nowhere near what I would call running off.

Cal didn't run Matthews or SKJ off, he's just doing what he said he was going to do. He said it during his very first press conference: "I can't hide you, if you aren't good enough, don't come here".

Now something else happened that kept SKJ on the bench, he did something last year to be inserted in the doghouse and it's possible Cal never wanted to remove him from the doghouse, but this is Jones' call, doesn't look like Cal pushed him to transfer.

We don't know the facts, so we really can't judge the situation.

I got bashed on here for saying I hope SGA goes to the NBA & we get Hagans. It would be best for SGA because he won’t improve his stock, it is a great recruiting tool for Cal (can’t beat the 4 star turned OAD lottery pick), & it will make room for Hagans. I really hope this happens because we’ll be REALLY good next season. Could be special!
I would Love, love, love to get SGA back, but you are going to get your wish

They don’t take into account where they are ranked, just that they are 5 stars? Not how I would do it, but okay.

Rankings tell less of the story than usual this year,Duke got the top 3 that all play about the same position and make similar demands to have the ball most of the time,that may work or it may not work.Duke always struggles to play defense and that may be magnified with this group.They could be world beaters but they don't look to be as well balanced a class as the one that just left.

The addition of Montgomery changes things for us quite a bit I think.Depending on who else leaves we may need to add another big,if we get Hagans that adds a new wrinkle.I think he contests for a starting spot.

There could also be a Baker/ Herro battle if Baker is healthy.

ESPN is always ready to hand Duke the trophy every year and next year is no exception,maybe they(ESPN) will be right one of these years but don't take that as Gospel just yet(don't call them cowboys till you've seen them ride)

You are speculating. You have no proof of this, and everything I know tells me you are wrong about Calipari.

You are speculating. You have no proof of this, and everything I know tells me you are wrong about Calipari.
Well of course I am speculating. This is a message board and what we do here. But just because you don’t have proof doesn’t mean you can’t look at certain things and draw fairly sensible conclusions. Also, I didn’t intend for it to be this big negative or attack. Was simply an observation as multiple coaches have done it over the years when they recognize it’s best for both parties to move on, whatever that may be (transfer or start pro career).

Yep . Will love to see Duke's 2 SF , College center who thinks he is SF and tre jones ( who isn't as good as Quickley or Garland or grimes IMO ) have more success next season then UK with all UK has coming back. Duke's big returnee is Bolden - AHAHAHA.
Jones not as good as Herro , he got a raw deal in the rankings should have been a 5 star. I love the way you guys run to the 5 stars when some 4 stars are better. Herro being that case.

I think Montgomery for Gabriel could potentially be a wash. However, I think Hagans for Green would be an instant upgrade.

Except that Quade would be the only guard/wing who would know what in the hell he’s doing out there all season.

We just encountered a season with elite guards/wings where they didn’t know their ass from a hole in the ground. I’d rather have the combination of high level experience (Green) and elite frosh (Hagans) as opposed to being exclusively dependent on non-transcendent freshmen guards again.

I’d like to pass Duke and Nova, on the game floor. Running off guys like Matthews and SKJ doesn’t help.
Duke as an example? They just had Trent Jr and Trevon Duval both projected in the 50s in mock drafts leave because K recruited over them and they would have even less opportunities next year. Nice example, too bad it isn’t based on fact.

You are talking about a consensus top 20 pick and a consensus top 10 pick pre season who are now not returning even though draft stock plummeted because K all but pushed them out the door. Let me know when that happens at UK.

Last edited:
I would Love, love, love to get SGA back, but you are going to get your wish
I just believe that if we get Hagans, our offense will run great, & I’m glad SGA struck while the iron is hot in his case. He deserves to cash in. I just hope it works out for him.

I’m not sold on Reddish because of his motor and because I think the presence of Barrett on the Duke team will overshadow him. He’ll be the typical Duke draft pick who - like Brandon Ingram - never plays up to his talent level. Jones meanwhile is overrated.

Barrett and Williamson however are generational talents who will be perennial NBA All-Stars some day. I don’t how they do the points, no one in our class are in that league.

Hagans Tomorrow, see ya Dook!
giphy.gif

They don’t take into account where they are ranked, just that they are 5 stars? Not how I would do it, but okay.
I would say they do this because the rankings can be way off. Take 2014 for example where Towns was ranked 5th and Booker was 29th. Works the other way as well like in 2015 when Skal was ranked #1 over Simmons and Briscoe was top 10.

I would say they do this because the rankings can be way off. Take 2014 for example where Towns was ranked 5th and Booker was 29th. Works the other way as well like in 2015 when Skal was ranked #1 over Simmons and Briscoe was top 10.
Still disagree. Stand by your rankings. Doing it this way, you can sign a bunch of guys who aren’t huge difference makers and get the #1 class.

Reactions: irishcatdaddy
Still disagree. Stand by your rankings. Doing it this way, you can sign a bunch of guys who aren’t huge difference makers and get the #1 class.
Completely understand your position, however; I think they know ranking these kids isn't nor will it ever be a perfect science. It's very subjective. With that said, whether a kid is an elite talent and awarded a 5 star is a little closer to a true evaluation of potential (but can also be off). I agree that Duke's class is pretty impressive but it's very top heavy with no supporting cast. Many believe a class that has 3 SF five stars and a 5 star PG is not better than a class the has a 5 star at four different potions is all I was trying to point out...but believe me I get your position too.

I get that the three top recruits are all listed at the same position but I doubt they'll stay there either in college or beyond. Barrett has 2 guard written all over him especially with his ball handling skills and scoring prowess. He's not really big enough to play 3 but would be a perfect 2 guard at the nba level. Reddish is probably the most versatile of the three. He has played point guard for a significant portion of his career thus far and will be duke's best shooter from the outside. He probably has the best chance to stay at 3. Zion is the question mark. He can’t really shoot so the four seems more like his natural position in college.
Yep....it's not a perfect system and it's almost impossible to know how these kids are going to develop....again very subjective cause rivals already has Reddish listed as a SG...while many, as you stated, think he's a solid SF. What we can agree on are all 3 are five star talent without a doubt.

ALL NCAA schools at some time "run-off" players o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O..............................................Jeter.....Thornton.....Obi.....Sulaimon.....Ojeleye.....:flush::flush::flush::flush::flush:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT