ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***** UK FOOTBALL PRACTICE NOTEBOOK - OCT. 24 *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Hello HOB... This seems a bit early, right? No need to check your watch or clocks, it is early. I have an appointment before today's practice, and I may be hustling to make it over to campus when practice ends, so I'm getting this started in advance. We'll have Liam Coen and select offensive coaches/players joining us today to discuss prep for this week's game against Tennessee. Look for the latest news and notes around 5:30 ET...

LIAM COEN Q&A:

* On his last meeting with UT being a shootout and do they consider trying to slow things down… Just happened to play out like that, not by design. When you’re executing and moving the chains that well, it works like that. They will not be trying to slow the game down Saturday. All comes down to making plays.

* On the “middle 8“ minutes end 1H/start 2H hurting them… Always a tricky spot for a play-caller and getting a QB to understand what you're trying to do there. Tried to rep it more and get their thought process clear during the open date. Again, bottom line is executing. Can’t put the defense in a bad spot there.

* Threw it a lot last week during the open date. Worked on protections and communication every single day against the 1s defense, good-on-good. A lot of third-down stuff. Stressed winning on the perimeter in this matchup.

* Tennessee defense is a fast, aggressive unit. One of the better pass-rush teams in the country. A couple of elite rushers. A veteran group. Two physical, downhill safeties who have played a ton of snaps. Linebacker No. 6 was there the last time Liam saw them. Liked him a lot then. We've got to have a great week against these guys and come out swinging.

* Knows this is a rivalry, and UK is not holding up its end of the bargain. Gotta prove they can beat these guys. It's on us to go out and take something. Have to play to our standard. It's about us at the end of the day.

* On play-calling with Devin... Trying to be conscientious of your strengths and weaknesses, but at the same time, you really need to improve on those weaknesses in order to get better. We want to throw the ball more and execute those better. Maybe need to give him some plays with better chances to execute. Something higher % at times.

* On sign-stealing talk in CFB right now... Always aware that it exists, but has never really given much thought to it. “We don’t have enough manpower to get into that.” (Laughs). You do things when you go back and look at tape to see if you're putting things on film that maybe people could pick up on. Would like to see CFB go to the electronic system in QB’s helmet like the NFL does. Definitive yes. "I would love that. I don't know if the QB would." (Laughs) Heard there was a trial run on it during a bowl game a couple of years ago, and it went well. But there are also people who are concerned about liability issues with sticking something foreign in a helmet for college kids vs. NFL guys who have agreed to it through their union.

* Need to see DSK doing more in the offense moving forward. He's a competitor. Does things right. Smart player they can do lots of different things with. "Needs to step up this week." (Interesting comment. Makes you wonder if someone else is down.)

KENNETH HORSEY & RAY DAVIS Q&A:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News