UK Draft Round 1 - JHannibalSmith vs. Fox2monk

Who would win in a 1 game elimination?

• JHannibalSmith

• Fox2monk

Results are only viewable after voting.

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome to March Madness this is Round 1 of the 2024 UK Draft. (Click Here for Bracket).

Voters - Please vote for the team you believe would win in a 1 game elimination format. You will be able to change your vote and voting period is open for 48 hours. If a tie should occur I will extend the voting by another 2 hours until the tie is broken. Your vote will be visible.

@JHannibalSmith - Ron Mercer, Kyle Macy, Rex Chapman, Melvin Turpin, Walter McCarty, Kelenna Azubuike, Kevin Knox, Dirk Minniefield, Jim Andrews, Mike Casey, Dominique Hawkins

vs.

@Fox2monk - Tayshaun Prince, De'Aaron Fox, Bam Adebayo, Chuck Hayes, Travis Ford, Cotton Nash, Joe Crawford, Pat Riley, Derrick Miller, Randolph Morris, Junior Braddy

Reactions: jrpross
giphy.gif

Lineup

PG Kyle Macy 6-3
SG Rex Chapman 6-4
SF Ron Mercer 6-7
PF Walter McCarty 6-10
C Melvin Turpin 6-11

PG Dirk Minniefield 6-3
SG Mike Casey 6-4
G/F Kelenna Azubuike 6-5
SF Kevin Knox 6-9
F/C Jim Andrews 6-11
CG Dominique Hawkins 6-0

Depth Chart

PG: Kyle Macy, Dirk Minniefield, Rex Chapman, Dom Hawkins
SG: Rex Chapman, Mike Casey, Kelenna Azubuike, Dominique Hawkins
SF: Ron Mercer, Kelenna Azubuike or Kevin Knox, Rex Chapman, Mike Casey
PF: Walter McCarty, Jim Andrews, Kevin Knox, Ron Mercer
C: Melvin Turpin, Jim Andrews, Walter McCarty

Personally, I think these guys would fit very well, together. I can’t vouch for Casey’s defense, but, everyone else is, at worst, a solid defender. Even Knox when he wanted to. Macy was a good defensive player, too. But, I also have Dirk to throw at the more athletic PGs. He was a freak, too, & could be a problem, defensively. And, he was 3X ALL-SEC, himself. And, he was SECT MVP in 82 & is still the all-time assist leader at UK.

They’re all skilled, offensively. Several can play multiple positions, so, the lineup possibilities are limitless. Macy was the ultimate college PG, though, IMO. Basically, a coach on the floor. Elite shooter & play maker & clutch af. Automatic at the FT line. Late lead & it’s over. He & Rex would be deadly on the perimeter.

Rex, IMO, is as good & as skilled as any SG that I’ve seen at UK. Literally, nothing he couldn’t do. Great shooter & really athletic. 3 level scorer. He might be the best passing 2 I’ve seen, as well. Incredible court vision & awareness. He & Mercer would be electric on the wings.

Mercer was another super skilled player. 3 level scorer & high flyer. He was a good defender, IMO, too. But, defenses would have to pick their poison & there should be plenty of open looks for everybody. He had the ability to completely take over games. Just a dominant player.

McCarty is the ideal complement at the 4 & small ball 5. Long & athletic & skilled on both ends. He’s a nice secondary rim protector & can be a lockdown defender & matchup nightmare. And, he shot 47% from 3 his SR season, on 2 attempts/game.

Turpin was another guy who excelled on both ends. He was a solid shooter out to 15-16 ft & had a bag of post moves & fakes. Had a career high of 42 against UT. He was an elite shot blocker, averaging 3 per game his JR season.

Casey & Andrews are both good enough to be starters on a team, IMO. Casey was another shooter who could score in a myriad of ways. Nice turnaround J & good taking the ball to the basket. Very good passer & rebounder. Averaged 7 rebounds/game for his career. Ppl have called him a shorter Larry Bird bc of his skillset. He was 3X ALL-SEC.

Andrews also had a good midrange game for a big & shot 56% & 58% from the field in the 2 seasons he played serious minutes. He averaged over 20/10 in each of those seasons & was 1st Team All-SEC both years. He had 43 double-doubles in his UK career. He would be the primary backup at both the 4 & 5. Ideally, McCarty, Turpin & Andrews get around 25 mpg each at the 4 & 5.

Azubuike & Knox also provide instant offense & versatility off the bench. Knox would be used for specific units & matchups, mostly. But, IMO, he could be a matchup problem as a small ball 4 or as a SG in a huge lineup. Both are athletic guys who are above average perimeter shooters & great finishers at the rim.

All these guys have shown up for the big games, too. 3 have won National Championships. Everyone, even the walk-on Hawkins, made at least one All-SECT team. Macy, Rex, Mercer & Minniefield were all SECT MVPs. Macy & Mercer were SEC POY.

It’s a team that can beat you several different ways, on both ends of the court, IMO. Great depth & versatility. Collectively, a fundamentally sound & high IQ team that won’t beat itself. There is also plenty of size, length & athleticism. But, IMO, I think the fit is my best argument. I, honestly, think this group would work perfectly, together. And, most are already accustomed to sharing the minutes with a loaded roster & sacrificing numbers for Ws.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT