ADVERTISEMENT

UK cheerleaders repeat as national champions

Whether you really care or not, the overall atmospheres of games would certainly be different without them. The vast majority of programs just have their cheerleaders wave pompoms and large air horns or whatever you call them and then call it a day.

UK’s are different. The crazy flip routines at football games? Yeah that doesn’t happen just everywhere. The banner at the beginning of the last tv timeout is pretty cool as well among the other routines they do. They’ve ingrained themselves into the greatest tradition in college basketball, so I for one like seeing them dominate in their own way.

First paragraph from their Wikipedia page. One can only agree....!

Representing the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky, the UK squad has won the Universal Cheerleaders Association National College Cheerleading Championship an unprecedented twenty-four times, in 1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, more than any other Division 1A school. The University of Kentucky cheer squad is without question the best college cheer squad in the world.

That would be cool if it was an actual sport....

What is a sport?

sport /spôrt/ noun 1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Sounds like a sport to me. My daughter is a cheerleader on a middle school team. She works as hard as kids in other sports do. They practice a few days a week (up to 4 when close to competitions) for 2 hours each time and she also goes to private tumbling classes. She is able to do a lot of the stuff that the female UK cheerleaders do with much less experience than they have. They just recently won a competition in Gatlinburg and will be competing at Disney World next month.

It's fairly impressive, but I have a hard time identifying with the validity of sports that use judges to determine the winner. They are incredible for sure, but if there was an actual way to keep score, would they have won 24?

Okay, last year at about this same time I was in that gym playing a volleyball tournament. I went to take a leak between games and ended up going the wrong way (didn't know where the bathroom was). I walked past an open door, looked inside and I could see the whole cheer team inside this auditorium. They just got done with a workout and wow. Okay, the ladies always look hot, we know that, but there were 4 or 5 dudes in there that looked like they could compete in bodybuilding competitions.
They obviously put in a ton of hard work to do what they do.
I'm not gay, but I walked past that room 3 times, they're an impressive group, that's for sure.
#don'tjudgeme

Last edited:
What is a sport?

sport /spôrt/ noun 1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Sounds like a sport to me. My daughter is a cheerleader on a middle school team. She works as hard as kids in other sports do. They practice a few days a week (up to 4 when close to competitions) for 2 hours each time and she also goes to private tumbling classes. She is able to do a lot of the stuff that the female UK cheerleaders do with much less experience than they have. They just recently won a competition in Gatlinburg and will be competing at Disney World next month.
They work extremely hard and it's not easy. For the most part, you're lifting your own body weight multiple times and combined with other movements such as jumping and running, it's a tough workout in itself.

Representing the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky, the UK squad has won the Universal Cheerleaders Association National College Cheerleading Championship an unprecedented twenty-four times, in 1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, more than any other Division 1A school. The University of Kentucky cheer squad is without question the best college cheer squad in the world.
Congrats to the squad for their run.

Wouldn't it be great to see that many banners for bball?

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Okay, last year at about this same time I was in that gym playing a volleyball tournament. I went to take a leak between games and ended up going the wrong way (didn't know where the bathroom was). I walked past an open door, look inside and I could see the whole cheer team inside this auditorium. They just got done with a workout and wow. Okay, the ladies always look hot, we know that, but there were 4 or 5 dudes in there that look like they could compete in bodybuilding competitions.
They obviously put in a ton of hard work to do what they do.
I'm not gay, but I walked past that room 3 times, they're an impressive group, that's for sure.
#don'tjudgeme
I use to make fun of male cheerleaders until I got to college and saw how ripped they were.....and the holds with the cheerleaders made me consider trying out!

Idiotic statement. They are pure athletes that compete at the highest level of their sport. An impressive combination of strength, balance, and skill.

If you have ever seen the guys up close, you would be scared of them. Believe me.
100% correct. I knew a guy in Engineering school in the late '70's that tried out and made it. He had been a linebacker for St. X in HS and was a good sized guy. Strong as an ox as well.

Congratulations Cats Cheer.
Morehead State Cheerleaders also won again in their Division. MSU has 45 total titles between all girls team and Coed since 1988.

Reactions: catswillwin
It's fairly impressive, but I have a hard time identifying with the validity of sports that use judges to determine the winner. They are incredible for sure, but if there was an actual way to keep score, would they have won 24?
So you don’t think boxing is a sport?

That would be cool if it was an actual sport....

I'm going to assume this is a sarcastic reaction to it not being technically a "sport" in the eyes of universities. It's a club or extra-curricular, I don't know the exact terminology they use. Obviously it's a sport and maybe the best collective group of athletes on campus. But Cheerleading isn't a formal recognized sport by universities.

It may not be classified as a sport, but given what they are doing on the field, it's a sport in my eyes.

Congrats AGAIN UK Cheer team!!!! BBN is proud of you!!!!!!!!!

So you don’t think boxing is a sport?

I didn't say it wasn't a sport. I said I had a hard time identifying with the validity of sports that use judges to determine the outcome. And there have certainly been some boxing results that didn't feel very valid.

I didn't say it wasn't a sport. I said I had a hard time identifying with the validity of sports that use judges to determine the outcome. And there have certainly been some boxing results that didn't feel very valid.

I get what you are saying tho.

Winning 24 titles..........are we winning the titles because we are actually the best team in each of these competitions or are we winning because the judges are bias maybe because of our past success.

Prob not bias. But who knows lol

I thought I heard one time they give full scholarships to cheerleaders. Not for sure if true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT