ADVERTISEMENT

UK can get a big time coach.

Jimbo is out there you know he failed at a&m but he may be able to turn it around here he won a national championship at fla st and he can flat out recruit sumrall would be awesome too young and hungry after listening to Justin on 590 he thinks there might be a chance that Stoops retires at the end of the year

Jimbo is out there you know he failed at a&m but he may be able to turn it around here he won a national championship at fla st and he can flat out recruit sumrall would be awesome too young and hungry after listening to Justin on 590 he thinks there might be a chance that Stoops retires at the end of the year

You mean the same Jimbo Fisher who was about to be fired until Jamis Winston came alone and won a NC. The same Jimbo that FSU let walk who left FSU's roster a mess. The same Jimbo that could donating with the highest rated class in Rivals history. The Jimbo who ATM ponies up nearly 100m to get rid of? I am beginning to thi k it's time for a change, but why bring in a coach who is a proven program killer? IMO he is a huge step down, can't recruit without ATM's bankroll and has never been a good coach.

You mean the same Jimbo Fisher who was about to be fired until Jamis Winston came alone and won a NC. The same Jimbo that FSU let walk who left FSU's roster a mess. The same Jimbo that could donating with the highest rated class in Rivals history. The Jimbo who ATM ponies up nearly 100m to get rid of? I am beginning to thi k it's time for a change, but why bring in a coach who is a proven program killer? IMO he is a huge step down, can't recruit without ATM's bankroll and has never been a good coach.
He has one hanging at Florida st but I understand your argument he is not a huge step down he took a florida state program and made it big time just did not work at a&m yes stoops needs to go if you think this year is bad wait until next year I did include sumrall jimbo fisher would not be a bad hire like your acting in my view 83 wins 23 losses .758 win % and hung one at Florida State

He has one hanging at Florida st but I understand your argument he is not a huge step down he took a florida state program and made it big time just did not work at a&m yes stoops needs to go if you think this year is bad wait until next year I did include sumrall jimbo fisher would not be a bad hire like your acting in my view 83 wins 23 losses .758 win % and hung one at Florida State
FSU was bigtime long before Jimbo arrived and without Jamis he was fired. But if UK decides on Jimbo there will be 15 other head SEC head coaches breathing easier, look how much better ATM is with him gone.

I think it depends on what you think a big time coach is. Being in the SEC or BIG is a massive advantage nowadays. If you look at the ACC and Big12, there might be someone out there. Here are probably the 3 best that UK could land:

Matt Campbell is having a good year at Iowa State and has very strong Ohio connections, but he’s had some very mediocre years at ISU.

Chris Klieman is having a pretty good 3rd year in a row at Kansas State. Crushed it at the FCS level with 4 national championships in 5 years and has gone 10-4, 9-4 and currently 7-1 in the last 3 years.

Rhett Lashlee at SMU is in his 3rd year and has gone 7-6, 11-3 and currently 7-1 in his 3 years there. Offensive guy for those that want that side of the ball.
That Klieman resume sounds good.

Reactions: BurgLife
FSU was bigtime long before Jimbo arrived and without Jamis he was fired. But if UK decides on Jimbo there will be 15 other head SEC head coaches breathing easier, look how much better ATM is with him gone.
Gues he never heard of Bobby Bowden? 🤦‍♂️

Think there was a guy named Bobby Bowden who had something to do with building FSU. Jimbo to UK is almost as bizarre as Mike Gundy to UK.

UK doesn't need to overthink this. Make it happen in the next open week, name Sumrall, retain VM/Anwar Stewart and keep the DL recruiting class together.

Are you old enough to remember Bobby Bowden and his two National Championships and his 304-97-4 coaching record at FSU? Fisher did not make FSU Big Time. They were Big Time long before him.

We could get a big time coach, but not sure we would even try. Does not seem to be in Mitch playbook.

Plus could he (mitch) keep Vince to pull in recruits. No matter what it would be a step back. Just normal change would make some guys leave anyway. Probably about 25 to 30% of the team each and every year thinks about moving to greener pastures. Coach change might bump that to 40 to 45%.

No matter, we need a change, Stoops needs a change. Next year ticket sales will be down and down big right now.
A new coach will more than likely not want any hold overs of coaches. It really does not matter how good you think Vince is, he will not be on the next coach's staff. If you were a successful coach would you want a coach from staff you are being paid to replace? It very very rarely happens. I would like to cut total ties and have a completely new group of assistants.

A new coach will more than likely not want any hold overs of coaches. It really does not matter how good you think Vince is, he will not be on the next coach's staff. If you were a successful coach would you want a coach from staff you are being paid to replace? It very very rarely happens. I would like to cut total ties and have a completely new group of assistants.
With the coaching side of things I agree, when you have a guy that closes in state and in Ohio the way VM does then you take a look at things. But 100% agree you want your staff. Again I believe Mitch will just promote White and not even look at others. Just my though there.

In answer to the thread title question, No we can't Kentucky is the graveyard of coaching, Stoops is as good as it gets, make no mistake I think it is time for him to go. Go get the WKU coach(if we can) probably the best we could do at this point.

Think there was a guy named Bobby Bowden who had something to do with building FSU. Jimbo to UK is almost as bizarre as Mike Gundy to UK.

UK doesn't need to overthink this. Make it happen in the next open week, name Sumrall, retain VM/Anwar Stewart and keep the DL recruiting class together.

I can't agree with this enough, i would rather face Gundy or Fisher than Stoops. Maybe because we always seem to get his good games and his teams beat you up, or did.

It really does not matter how good you think Vince is, he will not be on the next coach's staff. If you were a successful coach would you want a coach from staff you are being paid to replace?

In usual circumstances this is correct.

If Sumrall is the Man, he has worked three seasons with Vince, and so long as Stoops doesn’t go to Iowa, Vince might want 2/3 more years here, and Sumrall might want him.

As to it rarely happening, we kept a Coach from Louisville under at least three Coaching staffs (Curci, Claiborne, Curry) whose brother was a head coach in Louisville, in order to land Saint X and Trinity kids.

Coach Marrow has much more talent within reach in Ohio than Jefferson County ever produced.

Reactions: FirewithFire
That Klieman resume sounds good.
Yeah...he's got a super successful resume. Struggled a little early on at KSU but has turned it on the past few years. 26-7/17-5 since the start of the 2022 season. Only drawback would be connections in recruiting as he has been at Northern Iowa, NDSU and Kansas State the past 20 years.

Reactions: The-Hack
Being loose with “big name”. I’d take somebody who is fun. Being middle of the road is a lot more bearable when you are entertaining.

Jimbo Fisher!!!

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I like this idea

Definitely worth talking to.

Jimbo Fisher left the Fla St. program in tatters and was FIRED at Texas A&M. Why the hell would ANYONE believe he could be successful at UK ? lol

Hey grumpy who in the hell do you think got Jamison to come there stupid analysis on your part and that 83 and 23 record was in 8 years and a .783 win % highest in Florida st history also was the OC at lsu when they hung one in 2003 2 hangs for jimbo now grump I know you're getting over emotional but those numbers don't lie

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT