ADVERTISEMENT

UK can get a big time coach.

R.O.T.Muckinfush

Sophomore
Jul 13, 2017
For sure. Obvious current staff has run its course, but give credit to admin and Stoops for building this thing up with facilities and willingness to pay. UK can go out and get a big name imo. Not the same job that Stoops took over. Maybe Sumrall is the guy but you think outside the box a little and interview several top guys, at least talk to them.

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you think a big time coach is. Being in the SEC or BIG is a massive advantage nowadays. If you look at the ACC and Big12, there might be someone out there. Here are probably the 3 best that UK could land:

Matt Campbell is having a good year at Iowa State and has very strong Ohio connections, but he’s had some very mediocre years at ISU.

Chris Klieman is having a pretty good 3rd year in a row at Kansas State. Crushed it at the FCS level with 4 national championships in 5 years and has gone 10-4, 9-4 and currently 7-1 in the last 3 years.

Rhett Lashlee at SMU is in his 3rd year and has gone 7-6, 11-3 and currently 7-1 in his 3 years there. Offensive guy for those that want that side of the ball.

We could get a big time coach, but not sure we would even try. Does not seem to be in Mitch playbook.

Plus could he (mitch) keep Vince to pull in recruits. No matter what it would be a step back. Just normal change would make some guys leave anyway. Probably about 25 to 30% of the team each and every year thinks about moving to greener pastures. Coach change might bump that to 40 to 45%.

No matter, we need a change, Stoops needs a change. Next year ticket sales will be down and down big right now.

I think it depends on what you think a big time coach is. Being in the SEC or BIG is a massive advantage nowadays. If you look at the ACC and Big12, there might be someone out there. Here are probably the 3 best that UK could land:

Matt Campbell is having a good year at Iowa State and has very strong Ohio connections, but he’s had some very mediocre years at ISU.

Chris Klieman is having a pretty good 3rd year in a row at Kansas State. Crushed it at the FCS level with 4 national championships in 5 years and has gone 10-4, 9-4 and currently 7-1 in the last 3 years.

Rhett Lashlee at SMU is in his 3rd year and has gone 7-6, 11-3 and currently 7-1 in his 3 years there. Offensive guy for those that want that side of the ball.
Big time as in proven winner at P5 level.
I like Cris Klieman. Lashlee is an up and comer as well. I think

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State is a possibility. Things are stale in stillwater and a change may do him good.

Pat Narduzzi at Pitt can flat out coach.

Bill O'Brien Boston College. - nfl, Penn st... etc... etc

Curt cignetti: what a baller this guy is

Jon Sumrall - young up and comer at G5 level, alumni, stoops protege . de facto pick of the deep state ( mitch and his flunkies), could be a good one but is he best available? How many alumni work out when they come home? ( Joker)

Dan Mullen, did well at Florida and had Missi St. At #1. Dood can flat out coach. Unfairly ousted at florida

Unrealistic :
but you still talk to Chris Peterson, Nick Saban, urban meyer, bill bellicheck just to show you are confident about hiring the best available and discuss with them how they built their respective programs and who they would suggest.

You talk to some nfl guys as well, interviewing successful coordinators. However you do it, you build buzz, need to get the boosters and fans fired up to donate NIL

Last edited:
The Quakers’ idea of a big time coach is nowhere near your thoughts. Strike any name above other than Sumrall. He’s a younger version of Stoops. Idk why we recruit some of the player we do. Offensively we are riding to school on the short bus, wearing a hockey helmet around the school. We don’t have a running game so let’s put Boley in the shotgun and let him throw it to 6-7 different receivers and see what happens. Attack offense, attack attack attack!! Quit playing this goddamn old gray mare offense. Line up 5-6 wide receivers and go.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
If not sumrall, what about kingsbury (?sp) from the commanders?? Someone me mentioned him before, I know he flamed out before but he runs an exciting offense and may could recruit some gunslingers. We can’t line up and smash mouth anymore so gotta gimmick on occasion, but just a name to keep in mind.

If Kentucky makes a big time hire it’s not in spite of Stoops, it’s because of him.
The !989 SEC coach of the year fresh off a 10-1 regular season and Alabama's first SEC title since '81 was considered a big time hire. I'm not so sure how attractive the job is if the demand and the job security means consistent 10 win seasons and playoff births or hit the road. The current slide we are on aside it will not be so simple to outdo Stoop's as so many assume.

I love that Sumrall is widely considered to be the most sought after G5 coach and will almost certainly be an SEC coach in the next 1-3 years even if it’s not UK, but since he coached under Stoops and Mitch likes him he actually is already a bust.

Barney isn’t going to hire a Big name coach to replace Stoops. He doesn’t want the drama of having a Diva coach like Cal was at UK. I see him picking a up younger coach without baggage that he can work with and take the program to new heights.

The Quakers’ idea of a big time coach is nowhere near your thoughts. Strike any name above other than Sumrall. He’s a younger version of Stoops. Idk why we recruit some of the player we do. Offensively we are riding to school on the short bus, wearing a hockey helmet around the school. We don’t have a running game so let’s put Boley in the shotgun and let him throw it to 6-7 different receivers and see what happens. Attack offense, attack attack attack!! Quit playing this goddamn old gray mare offense. Line up 5-6 wide receivers and go.
If we line up 6 WRs, we will have 4 OL.

Big time as in proven winner at P5 level.
I like Cris Klieman. Lashlee is an up and comer as well. I think

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State is a possibility. Things are stale in stillwater and a change may do him good.

Pat Narduzzi at Pitt can flat out coach.

Bill O'Brien Boston College. - nfl, Penn st... etc... etc

Curt cignetti: what a baller this guy is

Jon Sumrall - young up and comer at G5 level, alumni, stoops protege . de facto pick of the deep state ( mitch and his flunkies), could be a good one but is he best available? How many alumni work out when they come home? ( Joker)

Dan Mullen, did well at Florida and had Missi St. At #1. Dood can flat out coach. Unfairly ousted at florida

Unrealistic :
but you still talk to Chris Peterson, Nick Saban, urban meyer, bill bellicheck just to show you are confident about hiring the best available and discuss with them how they built their respective programs and who they would suggest.

You talk to some nfl guys as well, interviewing successful coordinators. However you do it, you build buzz, need to get the boosters and fans fired up to donate NIL
I have been a Chris Peterson fan since his days at Boise State

I would take Narduzi over Summerall every day and twice on Sunday, same with Klieman. Why so many are insisting on a Stoops protege just blows my mind.Also would talk to Signetti before Summerall.

• Love
I would take Narduzi over Summerall every day and twice on Sunday, same with Klieman. Why so many are insisting on a Stoops protege just blows my mind.Also would talk to Signetti before Summerall.
I've been a big Sumrall guy since he first year here. He just has "it". For me, if you go the G5 route or coordinator route, you go with Sumrall. I don't think there is any other coach out there, at that level, that makes more sense than Sumrall. This guy is going to be targeted by quite a few P4 programs. If there is a proven winner at the P4 level, then I can understand the hesitation.

I love that Sumrall is widely considered to be the most sought after G5 coach and will almost certainly be an SEC coach in the next 1-3 years even if it’s not UK, but since he coached under Stoops and Mitch likes him he actually is already a bust.

If he wants to win anything that matters as a head coach in the sec I'd imagine he takes a job like Florida where he would get more NIL and better players.

If he wants to win anything that matters as a head coach in the sec I'd imagine he takes a job like Florida where he would get more NIL and better players.
Why would Florida want him?! He’s just a Stoops flunky that Mitch wants to hire so he can get a good deal and not have to do a long search! /s

But seriously, why are guys like Gundy and Narduzzi so highly thought of in this thread? Gundy has a good résumé, but his last 6-7 years (in a much weaker conference) are pretty similar to Stoops* + he’s from Oklahoma, played at OSU, and has coached there for 20 years. He ain’t coming anyway.

Narduzzi is having a great year this year, but has averaged 7 wins over 9 years with 1 10 win season in another lackluster conference. What is obviously better at than Stopps based on wins and losses?

*Gundy is 52-26 since 2018, Stoops is 47-28

Barney isn’t going to hire a Big name coach to replace Stoops. He doesn’t want the drama of having a Diva coach like Cal was at UK. I see him picking a up younger coach without baggage that he can work with and take the program to new heights.
Well sounds like the ego problem is at the top of the food chain then.

This... 100 million times over. We don't necessarily have to go for an up and comer. Not saying Sumrall shouldn't be considered, he's a good young coach, but it is more of a heart decision than a head decision if you loook at him and only him. Multiple other coaches should be talked to and given a shot. Logically there are more than likely better options available.

Why would Florida want him?! He’s just a Stoops flunky that Mitch wants to hire so he can get a good deal and not have to do a long search! /s

But seriously, why are guys like Gundy and Narduzzi so highly thought of in this thread? Gundy has a good résumé, but his last 6-7 years (in a much weaker conference) are pretty similar to Stoops* + he’s from Oklahoma, played at OSU, and has coached there for 20 years. He ain’t coming anyway.

Narduzzi is having a great year this year, but has averaged 7 wins over 9 years with 1 10 win season in another lackluster conference. What is obviously better at than Stopps based on wins and losses?

*Gundy is 52-26 since 2018, Stoops is 47-28
With any coach, you have to look at trends imo. Narduzzi, while not someone I would go after, went 11-3, 9-4, 3-9 and is 7-0 right now. So, 30-16/17-10 since 2021. I don't care what Narduzzi (or any coach) did 5 and 6 years ago. What has he done the past 3 or 4 seasons. It was the same way with Cal. I don't care that Cal won it all in 2012 or made the final four four times, I care that he sucked his last 4 years.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about Sumrall being a "Stoops flunky"...what does him working under Stoops have to do with anything he's done in the past 3 years as a HC?

With any coach, you have to look at trends imo. Narduzzi, while not someone I would go after, went 11-3, 9-4, 3-9 and is 7-0 right now. So, 30-16/17-10 since 2021. I don't care what Narduzzi (or any coach) did 5 and 6 years ago. What has he done the past 3 or 4 seasons. It was the same way with Cal. I don't care that Cal won it all in 2012 or made the final four four times, I care that he sucked his last 4 years.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about Sumrall being a "Stoops flunky"...what does him working under Stoops have to do with anything he's done in the past 3 years as a HC?
Re read the post please. I said he was a stoops protege and Mitch and all his flunkies.... the powers that be like him. I didn't say he was a Stoops flunky.

The first paragraph was sarcasm (“/s”). I very much like the idea of hiring him

I get the trend idea…to an extent. Talking about Narduzzi (Gundy, to an even greater degree), you’re referencing a guy who’s been a head coach at the same place for almost 10 years and is almost 60 years old himself. Looking at the totality of his career is probably a better indicator of what type of HC he would be here than a a smaller sample size.

11, 9, 3, and let’s just say 10 wins this year averages out to 8 wins a year, a 1 win per year improvement over his career average. If you hire Narduzzi you’re going to get somewhere between 7 and 8 wins a year on average (best case scenario). I just don’t see how that corresponds with the level of enthusiasm he has on this board all of a sudden

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT