ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ***** UK Basketball Press Conference Notes - 2/18 *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Hello HOB. Coach Cal and select players will be joining us today in a few minutes to talk about Saturday’s matchup with Alabama. Stay tuned for the latest news and notes…

JOHN CALIPARI Q&A:

* On sitting guys and protecting seeding… The first thing you have to be concerned about is the players’ health. You have to put that first and foremost and can’t worry about seeding implications. The kids want to play so bad sometimes that the coach has to override them and make the decision for them. If you have an injury happen in the NCAA tourney, you can’t just say “Oh, it’s done.” You have to have other kids ready to step up and play.

* Cal says Cats could be “two or three (players) down” tomorrow against Alabama. Hasn’t seen them in practice yet. Says other players have to step up and embrace their opportunity. “We have time to get this (health situation) right.”

* TyTy Washington wanted to play and help his team at UT, but you just can’t do that in a game like that if you’re only 75-80%

* Asked if there’s such a thing as peaking too early, Calipari says Cats started the game well at UT. There was a 10-minute stretch that went really bad. Second half wasn’t too bad. It’s not like they’re playing poorly all the sudden. “I still have one of those teams.”

* On Alabama vs. the last time UK played the Tide… Still gonna take 30 3s. They’ve had some good wins since then. Beat Arkansas. Gotta be ready for long 3s and the rebounds that come from those. They may make some tough 3s while guarded, but you have to guard them and make them earn them.

* Cal says nobody has the type of league games left that UK does. It’s “murderer’s row,” he says. All of them are going to be a real challenge.

* Cal wants Oscar to start playing again like he has something to prove, “total desperation,” and to sub himself if he needs to come out. Likes how Oscar is willing to be coached hard.

* “I don’t know how we’re going to finish the regular season because of our schedule (and the injury situation) but I like my team in March,” Cal says.

* On UT being a “wake-up call” … Maybe so, Cal said. And maybe I needed one, too, he adds, because I got out-coached.

* On Oscar struggling with length… Most of it is that Oscar shows too much respect for the other guy, Cal says. He pivots and ball fakes and looks timid because he’s respecting the length too much when he knows he’s a lot better than that guy. Wants him to go up strong through his “air space.”

OSCAR TSHIEBWE Q&A:

* Asked about having a “hiccup” at Tennessee, Oscar says it’s no time to look back. They had a really good practice yesterday, so all focus is on moving forward.

* The remaining schedule “is not gonna be easy,” Oscar says. Cats have to be ready to fight.

* On adapting to physical play against him… Oscar says he’s used to it by now. He knows that some guys are trying to get into his head. They know the only way to take him out of the game is to do something to get him to respond and get in trouble with the officials.

* On Alabama… They’re going to come in here ready to play. They’ll be looking for revenge like Tennessee was. If we think we’re too good for these teams, we are mistaken.

* Asked about being able to avoid foul trouble for the most part lately… It’s something they work on and review on film. You’re going to get some fouls, but you want to avoid cheap fouls. He was a little too upright against UT. Needs to get back to getting in a stance.

* On Bama’s big man… “He’s good. He can play. I just have to be ready to go. I respect everybody, but I don’t fear anyone.” Does not assume that he’s going to dominate. Knows he has to be ready to fight.

DAVION MINTZ Q&A:

* On the UT game being a “wake-up call” … Mintz says it was. Wishes they didn’t need that but notes that it’s better for it to happen now rather than in March. “Probably started to smell ourselves a bit.” Need to fine-tune the things they were doing well before that game.

* The guys on the bench who haven’t played a lot had a really good practice yesterday, Mintz said. They continue to work hard to be ready for their opportunity. Said Allen was disappointed in himself for not being ready at UT.

* On making the all-district academic team… Means a lot to him and his family, Mintz said. Hopes that kids see you can play at a high level and still handle your academics.

* On opponents playing them physical and not getting many calls… The analytics back that up, Mintz said, but you can’t really control it. You have to play through it.

* Asked about a rematch with Alabama… Great team, very capable of beating the Cats. UK didn’t play very well at Bama, fortunate to win. If they get 3s and get offensive rebounds, they can make it tough on you.

* On seeding talk… “One game at a time,” Mintz said.

* Asked about the calls again… At the end of the day, everyone who watches the games sees it. Mintz says he can’t say anything more about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News