ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh, Mitch might be in deep s**t

I can't tell: are these women swimmers, men swimmers, or trans swimmers. Thx.

For as much hate as Mitch gets on these forums, he's actually the one UK AD in my lifetime who has given more than two shits about our football program. I would really hate to lose that. Therefore I hope he is in no way implicated in any wrongdoing here. These are pretty serious accusations and if he dropped the ball investigating them, he's probably done.

Yeah, it’s truly hilarious and a great time to joke when you have 18-22 yo kids getting preyed upon by a sick individual due to a lack of oversight. If this is true then Mitch is gone, just hope he’s replaced by a good businessman than someone who leans heavily toward one sport.

For as much hate as Mitch gets on these forums, he's actually the one UK AD in my lifetime who has given more than two shits about our football program. I would really hate to lose that. Therefore I hope he is in no way implicated in any wrongdoing here. These are pretty serious accusations and if he dropped the ball investigating them, he's probably done.
Mitch didn’t care about UK football until the SEC and ESPN created the SEC Network and the revenue started to flow in. Mitch can go

Mitch didn’t care about UK football until the SEC and ESPN created the SEC Network and the revenue started to flow in. Mitch can go

That's just stupid. Sorry. Completely false. MB has always been a football guy, but it's taken time to work this program and its donors into one that cared about football as more than just a cash cow for basketball. It's a lot of work to refocus things so that football gets its share (which it has earned) of money towards its own function and recruiting.

THAT PROCESS is WHY so many hate him and have turned other people against him from the beginning.

I appreciate the work put in behind the scenes to make it possible to really have an SEC capable football program not robbed of its resources. EVERYONE for many years has had the mistaken impression that all we needed was a big name coach when that is complete BS. YOU CANT HAVE THE COACH AND NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES PROPERLY DISTRIBUTED. Mitch, for all of his misses, has really done a great job realigning this program for future success, BUT it can all be undone by just one AD who wants to take it back into the football dark ages.

He also still underfunds it relative to our athletics overall budget. Overspend on women’s secondary sports and men’s basketball because we kind of have to but underspend on fb.

Reactions: satcheluk
That's just stupid. Sorry. Completely false. MB has always been a football guy, but it's taken time to work this program and its donors into one that cared about football as more than just a cash cow for basketball. It's a lot of work to refocus things so that football gets its share (which it has earned) of money towards its own function and recruiting.

THAT PROCESS is WHY so many hate him and have turned other people against him from the beginning.

I appreciate the work put in behind the scenes to make it possible to really have an SEC capable football program not robbed of its resources. EVERYONE for many years has had the mistaken impression that all we needed was a big name coach when that is complete BS. YOU CANT HAVE THE COACH AND NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES PROPERLY DISTRIBUTED. Mitch, for all of his misses, has really done a great job realigning this program for future success, BUT it can all be undone by just one AD who wants to take it back into the football dark ages.
We are now 7th in overall sec budget ahead of even UT. But we spend 11th in the conference on fb and specifically on recruiting as well. Meanwhile UT is behind us in overall athletic budget but #1 on recruiting spend. Ole Miss outspends us in fb with a much smaller athletics budget AD’s make choices and while he’s often celebrated for his softball, volleyball, etc successes it really shouldn’t be a huge surprise he puts significant resources into those relative to counterparts. And I’m not here to argue whether he should or not but my point is it’s not some ‘genius’ he’s discovered. We are still, even now, borrowing from football for other sports relative to our SEC brethren.

Last edited:
As for the original topic these types of suits typically aren’t surprises on the timing as filing attorneys try to see if they can get movement with the threat of the suit coming public in advance. It makes me curious as to whether the hastiness of the basketball hire might have been influenced at least partially by getting it done before the suit became a talking point during the search.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
https://www.on3.com/college/kentuck...olence-case-former-swim-coach-lars-jorgensen/

According the the original article from the Atlantic, Mitch is also being sued as well as UK.

Mitch may be sued, but Lars was fired (and definitely should have been) for his behaviors.

From what I know of the situation, he was given some leash with boundaries, but I am pretty sure no one in the athletics department at large was complicit in his behaviors. Unless some new, verifiable evidence comes to light, I am pretty sure Barnhart's job security is safe regarding this.

Reactions: ColoradoBleedBlue

Not sure if you are joking, but there have been no trans swimmers at UK. There has been one prominent UK swimmer speak out against trans swimmers being allowed, but that's pretty much the extent of "trans" and swimming at UK.

Reactions: bluecoon1
Mitch may be sued, but Lars was fired (and definitely should have been) for his behaviors.

From what I know of the situation, he was given some leash with boundaries, but I am pretty sure no one in the athletics department at large was complicit in his behaviors. Unless some new, verifiable evidence comes to light, I am pretty sure Barnhart's job security is safe regarding this.

They don't have to be complicit. Them knowing the risks and hiring him anyway is enough.

I’m no Mitch fan period. If he messed up here he will pay a massive penalty deservedly. But the usual suspects are really putting on a show (Eric Crawford and Kyle Tucker) they know Mitch can’t comment on litigation, yet they make their “demands” of a response while UL fans are hanging on every tweet.

I will say if Mitch handled properly I hope he is keeping receipts on some of these UK / Matt Jones wannabes on twitter.

I will say again for clarity. If Mitch botched this he deserves the ramifications 100%.

I read about some of this a while back. The swimming coaching staff was very toxic with female swimmers including alleged crimes. I guess it depends on what Mitch and the athletic department were aware of at the time.

The reports I have read said he was suspended with pay and resigned a month later. No mention of being fired. Of course, Mitch could have let him resign rather than fire him, but I have no idea about that.

I've never been a big Mitch fan, but I recognize that he's been the best AD UK has had in my lifetime. (Wasn't exactly a high bar to hurdle)

If something did happen to him, we absolutely can't go back to one of those bball only ADs. College fball makes the money and drives the conversation. We can't afford to give up all the gains we've made.

Mitch didn’t care about UK football until the SEC and ESPN created the SEC Network

Wow.

A hard swing and a clear miss.

He isn’t perfect, but you speak of that which you know not!!

I don’t know if the Big Tuna would have succeeded in college ball, but had Barnhart pulled it off, it might have had huge impact, dating back to what became, instead, the Brooks’ era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT