ADVERTISEMENT

Ugo in the portal now

Yeah, why bother trying to keep the guys you already recruited to come here when you can get rid of them and recruit new ones every year.
Would you rather have a very raw sophomore (who should be a freshman) to go along with a bunch of other freshman? Or, would you rather have a polished college upper class player such as Dickinson? Not saying we’ll get Dickinson. But I’d absolutely rather have a solid upper class center who’s proven himself , since we already have freshmen. We’ll be better off

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Would you rather have a very raw sophomore (who should be a freshman) to go along with a bunch of other freshman? Or, would you rather have a polished college upper class player such as Dickinson? Not saying we’ll get Dickinson. But I’d absolutely rather have a solid upper class center who’s proven himself , since we already have freshmen. We’ll be better off
I’d rather have some continuity and return Ugonna.

then tell us why he transferred since you seem to know all
NIL . There’s a lot of hands in the cookie jar for UK collective this yr . Ugo will end up being the centerpiece for a big east team like Georgetown , be a big getter for their NIL , etc. ..
UK can offer exposure to where you can get a lot of outside stuff like. beats , AT&T, etc, but that stuff isn’t guaranteed. Probably won’t get that at providence or Georgetown but he will get more NIL guaranteed and won’t have to compete against any star freshmen

You have no clue who they’re talking to. People need to settle down. I guarantee they’ll fill his spot with someone more experienced and currently more polished (especially offensively)
I again am going strictly off what the people who cover Kentucky have said

I hate Cal and what he’s done to the program. I think most of us on here probably care more about Kentucky that Cal does. I wish he would just go away.

“Ugonna is going to come in, learn from Oscar, and be ready to rock here as a sophomore!”

Someone want to explain why this isn’t happening?
For the same reasons Sharpe didn't play here either. Cal is incompetent and doesn't know the intentions of his own players.

He was surprised when Whitney bolted, Askew transferred, and also when Matthews left the team.

Cal doesn't have a pulse on his own players.

Someone somewhere said Maryland hired his high school coach and it's presumed he'll wind up there.

I assume we're going to make a big push for Kel'el Ware. But then, do we have to worry about that kid finding motivation?
I just don’t trust Kel’el ware to really help us do much. Maybe he turns out really good but who knows.

For the same reasons Sharpe didn't play here either. Cal is incompetent and doesn't know the intentions of his own players.

He was surprised when Whitney bolted, Askew transferred, and also when Matthews left the team.

It’s pretty obvious why, he hasn’t seen them!

I was really looking forward to watching Ugonna next season.

Sad state of affairs.

What I saw was a good rotation player in a couple years. Sucks to lose him, I'm not arguing that. But to act like it's some big loss?.. c'mon, man.

I don't care about the "get rid of Cal" stuff. If that's how it feel, it's how you feel. But Onyenso was years away anyway. He got recruited over. I just hope the freshmen coming in are good enough to get us going.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
You got me LOl, I agree, it just sucks that players like that don’t stay at Kentucky for the long haul

I agree 100% at that. Our role players won't stay for some reason, like Hawkins and Willis did, and grow with the program. And that's a problem. Which is why I believe we need to put players on a salary, however small, from the athletic budget. Make em sign contracts that keep them in place so long as they're in college.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
It’s funny how Cal tried to talk his camp out of the transfer, well Cal, you're the one that built this culture. How are you going to get players to stay when your whole pitch is the next level and then you never play the guys that need pt to get better.

It’s a joke.

Ugo wasn't going to be a key cog next year, I get that, but he could have been a 15mpg guy. Cal needed to play him this year, instead, he kept running Collins and Ware out there. Collins was scared of his own shadow and guess what, he’s STILL going to leave.

I cannot wait until this coach and culture is washed out, this is so bad.

Very fair and concerning statement.

Personally i think Ugo was being overrated for next season anyway. But Cal had to stop with this come here and “Develop” for next year stuff. They never come back. Find players that aren’t completely controlled by outside forces. My biggest concern is I don’t trust his ability to evaluate and get the right players out of the portal

Jack Pilgrim says that Ugonna wanted to be back at UK. Cal wanted him back, both thought he would be back. But, his “people” requested the transfer and are running this without Ugonna being a part of it.

100% an NIL guarantee deal and UK didn’t want to be part of it.

His people demanded $1 million+ and Cal/UK basically told them to piss off.

Last edited:
Personally i think Ugo was being overrated for next season anyway. But Cal had to stop with this come here and “Develop” for next year stuff. They never come back. Find players that aren’t completely controlled by outside forces. My biggest concern is I don’t trust his ability to evaluate and get the right players out of the portal

I disagree about him being overrated and anybody who likes can quote me on this: wherever Ugo goes next year, he will average a 10/10 double-double to go along with about 4 blocks per game. He’s good and he’s gonna be very good before it’s all said and done. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he transfers to UConn since he went to prep school up there.

I disagree about him being overrated and anybody who likes can quote me on this: wherever Ugo goes next year, he will average a 10/10 double-double to go along with about 4 blocks per game. He’s good and he’s gonna be very good before it’s all said and done. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he transfers to UConn since he went to prep school up there.
To be clear I think he had great potential and I wish he was staying. Just not sure that’s going to be next season

I’d say Oscar worked out pretty well. I’d say Reeves worked out pretty well. I’d say Grady worked out pretty well. Wheeler was much better last season. So yeah, I’d say it has.
Yeah...two really great seasons...lmao.

This is the growing bad trend....dudes don't give a flip about the program. The moment something doesn't go their way....it's bye bye time.

This does not happen at other schools the rate it does here.....Cal is the common denominator

A) you have no idea about any entourage. You sound silly.

B) why don’t we wait to scream and cry until he actually announces he is leaving.
Who's "silly" now????
Jack Pilgrim said Brandon Huntley Hatfield was a lock to UK. He said Matt Haarms was coming to UK. He said Ian Jackson was coming to UK.

He is wrong as much (maybe more) than he is correct. Why not wait and see before you lose your mind?
Was he OR I ""wrong" on this????
Jack Pilgrim says that Ugonna wanted to be back at UK. Cal wanted him back, both thought he would be back. But, his “people” requested the transfer and are running this without Ugonna being a part of it.

100% an NIL guarantee deal and UK didn’t want to be part of it.

His people demanded $1 million+ and Cal/UK basically told them to piss off.
So NOW you're referencing the same Jack Pilgrim that you RAILED ON yesterday????

This WHOLE situation is because of Cal's UTTER incompetence!!

Like I asked before, WHY bring a kid like this in here KNOWING he has an ENTOURAGE that wants MORE than Cal is willing to give??? It's a WASTE for the WHOLE program and makes Cal look even MORE out of touch with what it takes to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1 and UKortho
This is the growing bad trend....dudes don't give a flip about the program. The moment something doesn't go their way....it's bye bye time.

This does not happen at other schools the rate it does here.....Cal is the common denominator
It does.

Really disappointing. He as a guy who said from the beginning knew he had to learn more, adapt to the college game, get stronger. would love to know what the reasoning is but Twitter speculation says his "people" pushed for him to go elsewhere.

I don't get it.

It is obvious that the kid was lied to. The kid should have done his senior year in high school instead of riding Cal's bench. His people are doing right by getting him out Cal's captivity.

Who's "silly" now????

Was he OR I ""wrong" on this????

So NOW you're referencing the same Jack Pilgrim that you RAILED ON yesterday????

This WHOLE situation is because of Cal's UTTER incompetence!!

Like I asked before, WHY bring a kid like this in here KNOWING he has an ENTOURAGE that wants MORE than Cal is willing to give??? It's a WASTE for the WHOLE program and makes Cal look even MORE out of touch with what it takes to succeed.
That weirdo talks out of both sides of his mouth. He never admits he is wrong- just doubles down. But- he is quick to call other people liars.

Good riddance. Came into a program behind the national player of the year knowing this wouldn't be your year and you'd learn and grow behind Oscar. That was the plan he and Cal had. Then the handlers demand an exorbitant amount of NIL money from UK for an unproven player and Cal said no, as he should. Go after Ware from Oregon.

If you look at other teams and are objective, you will see all kinds
of players transferring to other teams. A lot of these players are
shocking everybody. Only on this angry, hateful forum do you see
people blaming the coach solely. Some people here are so addicted
to conspiracy theories that they claim Cal is deliberately destroying
the team. Ridiculous!
My God, you are one oblivious dude.
I get some people are going to try to look at the positive side of things, but this is one heck of a long reach.
The truth is, this program is wrecked and it's because the culture Cal created and it's gotten to whete he is reslly hard to play for. The fans see the mind games he plays, the lies he tells and the fact that he takes zero accountability for anything, I bet the players see a lot more crap than we do. The guy is full of himself and he has lost control of everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT