ADVERTISEMENT

Types of UK fans

wildcatglenn

All-SEC
Mar 8, 2005
USA
There are various types of UK fans
1. The "win the off-season " fan. They really only care about class rankings and how many guys get drafted. They care more about the NBA than UK
2. The "regular season" fan. They are fine with going 30-4, winnimg the SEC, a top 5 ranking and then losing in the elite 8 or sweet 16.
3. The "tournament " fan. These fans could care less about the regular season as long as UK can get a seed where making a run in viable.
4. The" F4 or nothing" fan. These fans will accept nothing less than a F4.

I am more of a "overall evidence of success" fan.

Yes, a championship is our Objective, not just making the tournament or even making the F4 is enough. So in the regular season, put our team in a good position to be a realistic contender/favorite (so top 5-10) to win it all, which creates a good seed and probably an easier path. But am also realistic/practical enough to know that anything can happen in a OAD tournament, and that the best/better team does not always win (more often than not, the Champ is not the best team), even when you remove factors such as biased refs affecting the outcome (i.e. Higgins & UK/UNC in 17) or injuries (Bogans in 04 or WCS in 14).

I don't know.

I think most of us are in the bucket that wants to see us recruit well in the offseason, win non conference big games, do well in the SEC regular and tournament and then do well in the NCAA Tournament.

While teams are going to ultimately be remembered for what was done in March, I think most of us want to see us do well in all aspects.

1. The "win the off-season " fan. They really only care about class rankings and how many guys get drafted. They care more about the NBA than UK
2. The "regular season" fan. They are fine with going 30-4, winnimg the SEC, a top 5 ranking and then losing in the elite 8 or sweet 16.
3. The "tournament " fan. These fans could care less about the regular season as long as UK can get a seed where making a run in viable.
Incomplete and specious take Glenn.

I could list a dozen other types of Kentucky fans. I, personally, don't fall into any of your categories.

I'm a "lifetime investment" fan. I had an uncle recruited by Rupp well over a decade before I was born (injuries, WW2 and other factors intervened, but he did get a scholarship.) I watched games from my earliest memory with my father and uncles, and have had many family members attend the University, including a son who is there now.

That makes me more attached to the history and traditions and legacy than some, perhaps more patient after seeing long stretches in my life without a final four, more appreciative of things like NOT getting sanctioned by the NCAA and having a coach who does good works, and less willing to see things burned to the ground, even when dealing with short-term disappointments.

This is an over-generalization, but I get the point that you’re making with 2 and 3. Some fans seem to measure a season’s success solely by what happens in March, whereas others look more at the entire season as a whole.

I’d suggest this as a basic litmus test when considering which group you belong to. Which of these two seasons do you think was better?

1) The 03 team, which had a tremendous regular season, went undefeated in the SEC, was the number 1 overall seed, maximized its potential and played about the the best team defense I’ve ever seen …but sputtered out in the Elite 8 to Marquette.

Or

2) The 2014 team, which had a miserably disappointing underachieving dysfunctional regular season, limped into the tournament as an unranked 8 seed (despite having been everybody’s preseason number 1 ranked team). But then suddenly got red hot in the tourney and gave us a thrilling run to the final game (with much thanks to Aaron Harrison’s last second heroics).

Personally, I think I remember the 03 group more fondly, despite the sad ending.

Wrong. You’re either a hardcore fan who cares about it all (minus the nba stuff to a degree) or a casual fan. No in between.
This. All of that is important to me. You have to win the offseason too. Getting players to the NBA is great but not priority. Hopefully it occurs naturally because you get players that are good enough to do so.

Based on those descriptions I'd say regular season fan. I'd rather watch a good team play an exciting and dominating brand of basketball for 30 games and put a good showing in than strictly hunt FFs. Tough you've gotta get those too from time to time.

I want to win every game but sometimes you won’t and you have to learn from your mistakes and move on to the next game. I want us to be a team that Can Win every night and I don’t care who the coach is, can they win and become relevant again.

Combo of 3 and 4. Seeding being so important to win it all, every game is crucial. Kentucky's tradition and the top fan following to support the games unmatched, those are two advantages we have on most programs. So it comes down to recruiting the right players to win the most games can, not prepping for the pro's. Then a coach that demands in your face defense every possession and an organized smooth flowing offense. With Kentucky, the coach that can recruit and coach in that way is all we could ask for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT