ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Tuesday A.M. Notes

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** First off, Kobi Albert. Kentucky's offensive coaching staff are really in love with Albert, Coen in particular as we watched everything go down at camp this summer. Might have been one of his favorite players to come through Lexington based on being there every day to watch what went down. Really is too tough to tell whether he is eventually going to end up on offense or defense but he's a difference-maker either way. Kind of guy who is very likely to be a multi-year SEC starter. Going to have the quickness and footwork to get open and a good enough athlete to be a corner. He's listed at safety but he looked good in one-on-ones as a corner at camp.

What Kentucky seems to love about Albert as a receiver is that he is a unique pass-catcher in the way he aggressively catches the ball. "Eats it up" is something you'd hear people saying about him. Plays with a very high football IQ. As a route runner for someone so young he leverages and does angles well. The sense I've gotten is whatever you throw at him, he adjusts and doesn't make the same mistake twice and does little things that are beyond his years. Kind of carries himself like a guy who can be that guy.

The sense I get is that Kentucky would love to have Albert as a receiver but they appear to be addressing next year's receiving corps fairly well/easily via the portal. When your skill guys had the kinds of seasons that C Rod and Wan'Dale had and you're returning a highly talented quarterback and you're in the Citrus Bowl it's a bit of an easier sell.

** Tayvion Robinson announces tomorrow and that should also be good news for Kentucky. Here's what Tim Sullivan of HokieHaven.com told me about Robinson this week.

"Tayvion Robinson spent three years being exactly what you'd expect out of a solid slot receiver for Virginia Tech. Though undersized, he never feared going over the middle (nor dropped passes in traffic). However, the primary use of his talent was to get him in space, and let him use his agility and top-end speed to make huge plays. He isn't the quickest player in a phone booth, but has a knack for using his wiggle to set up defenders to miss and get upfield. He also has more downfield receiving game than you might expect, capable of playing on the outside (though offensive scheme getting him down the seam without a defender right on him is the more useful way to have him catching passes into the secondary). He also used those same skills to make plays on special teams in both the punt and kick return game. He's not the pure fastest guy, but put him in space and he can still eat up big yardage."

I suspect he will be the top punt return option next year but there may be an influx of athletes who make that an interesting question. He muffed a couple in 2020 but didn't have the problem in 21 so doubt it's an issue.

** Liam Coen is emerging as a major recruiter for Kentucky. He was Kentucky's lead recruiter for Barion Brown who will be one of the top-ranked signees the program has had. Coen was also the main coach who communicated with Tayvion Robinson and seeing that process through for Kentucky. Jon Sumrall did a tremendous job of laying a foundation with Albert and with him leaving Coen has been huge. Think about that: In his first year plus on the staff Coen sat down and wowed Wan'Dale with a case that helped get him to transfer from Nebraska (Marrow obviously big there too), brought in Will Levis at quarterback, and will be the lead for Barion Brown, Tayvion Robinson, and I'd imagine Kobi Albert down the stretch. There have not been too many instances of a coach other than Vince Marrow at Kentucky, maybe Clinkscale or Sumrall in a given year, having that kind of talent impact and when you factor that he's kinda crushing the portal he's the obvious guy who has stepped up to help elevate UK with difference-makers along with Marrow. Scott Woodward seems to be resonating with guys as well and they obviously work well together.

** We did first report the White/LSU stuff but I decided to take the thread down because it was a bit vague in terms of what HIS interest in the job would be and with everything as potential fodder for negative recruiting etc felt the timing demanded a pretty high bar for putting that out there. With FootballScoop.com reporting he was in Baton Rouge that's obviously substantial. They said it would come down to how he feels he could fit on the staff. What I will say is that I think for someone like White that is more true and not just talk. LSU is the kind of program that will throw around a whole lot of money, the kind Kentucky probably wouldn't pay right now. That's not a knock on Kentucky, LSU is just in an elite tier in terms of willingness to throw that money around. So I would guess that if LSU makes White their guy then it would be tough to hold onto him.

** I now have it from multiple very good sources that Matt House is an extremely strong candidate if it comes to that. Sounds like not only would Stoops like the idea of that (and I agree, makes a ton of sense), but that they probably know that there would be reciprocal interest.

The only concern would be losing Clinkscale, Sumrall, and White in the same offseason. That's a lot to replace. Left will be Anwar Stewart, Chris Collins, and Frank Buffano, each of whom really got their major career break coming into the SEC courtesy of Mark Stoops and each in the last couple of years. So these are Mark Stoops proteges. If they make it one day as coordinators or HCs they will be considered part of the Stoops coaching tree.

** There has been talk of potential interest with Florida's Christian Robinson. Can't speak to whether that is true or not but he would also make some sense as a replacement. Was told it is probably unlikely that Clinkscale would return. If you are talking about a coordinator position and not a position coach then that could open the door for someone like Muschamp who clearly has a good relationship with Stoops and is not going to be a position coach. If you look at guys like Chizik, similar to Muschamp, he MAY be a coordinator for a year or two but probably thinks of himself as a head coach and former HCs typically only look at the coordinator gigs as springboards back into head coaching positions.

Here are updates on the situations we are monitoring that you may be curious about...

1) Kiyaunta Goodwin - Holding pattern for me. There's enough smoke that I won't be surprised with whatever he does on Wednesday. Keeping pick in for Kentucky because of the history and Marrow's place in this from the start but these high profile recruitments get complicated and crazy. Didn't expect it to be this much of a close call but it is.

2) Alex Afari - Yesterday Kentucky was feeling good after the UC rumors came out but someone noted he took down the UK stuff from his profile. With the dead period being here you don't like the trajectory there but all I can tell you is that folks knew about the UC stuff and still felt like they could lock him in. It's another story I'm watching.

3) De'Carlos Nicholson - Would guess he flips to Mississippi State but he's been pretty quiet. Does seem like the Bulldogs are fairly confident.

4) Zah Frazier - My pick is Kentucky.

5) Tayvion Robinson - Expecting Kentucky.

6) Deone Walker - Expecting Kentucky but the Michigan factor makes it slightly more interesting.

7) Jalen Farmer - Confident the UF OG commit signs with Kentucky.

8) Khris Bogle - Either Kentucky or Michigan State and my understanding was that it was close.

9) Jacob Copeland - TBD, same credit situation as Taj Harris so it's a real wait and see.

10) Jordan Watkins - Still watching this but believe it will stretch on beyond the early signing period. Shouldn't be ruled out.

11) OT Brendan Bordner - When I spoke with him yesterday he did not want to discuss too many details which tells me I think he probably knows it's an on the fence situation.

12) Andre Roberts - Wisconsin RB transfer is still down to UK and GT. When I asked if he's locked into deciding on Wednesday he didn't respond. Heard it's an on the fence situation. May be more RB dominoes with the roster.

13) Jawaun Northington - See Andre Roberts, but with both situations open it's even more complicated.

By the look of it based on how it appears Kentucky is going to address their needs this week they could still be looking for extra help in the secondary via the portal. I think they could be open to adding more players at WR, OL, and EDGE. If they don't get Bogle then they definitely need more pass rushing help. If they do that might be more of a luxury to add another.

Also don't think guys are done going into the portal on Kentucky's end. There's a RB or two who could have decisions to make, maybe another OL but TBD, and another defensive back who has been on the fence about it.

It's still going to be crazy around here after the early signing period. If you look at last year's timetable a lot of the top Super Seniors who returned to Kentucky announced their intentions right after the bowl game so that would be early January. Word trickled out on some of them before that, in December.

If you're curious about a potential surprise at the high school level maybe keep Anwar Stewart in mind. He kept the Devonte Ross stuff far off the grid leading into the signing period last year even though that enrollment didn't work out. I haven't heard anything about that though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News