ADVERTISEMENT

Trae Young was very close to going to Kentucky

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
According to this story he was very close to going to Kentucky.

"He was going to Kentucky or Kansas," Ray Young said. "It wasn't even that big of a debate for a while. Once he got the offer from Kentucky, it's like, 'Dad, Coach (John) Calipari just left our house.' I would never say it was a done deal because we really liked Coach (Bill) Self a lot, and being around the coaches at Oklahoma and Coach Kruger, but there was no way he was not going to go to Kentucky, for about six or eight months. That's the thing people don't understand. He really wanted to go there but things didn't work out."

Full story

Reactions: madison1329
I guess if we had better basketball dorms mama would have been OK with it. But she felt UK was not taking good care of their players by putting them in a dorm from the d"ark ages". Of all the players UK has recruited over the years she may be the only parent to complain about UK living conditions.

I think Young made the right choice

We took Quade Green. Kids in this class didn't want to play with Young, so Cal went in another direction. Otherwise, Knox and Diallo probably wouldn't be here, and Quade also gave us a better shot at Bamba.

There are so many moving parts to recruiting that it's amazing Cal is able to rebuild an entire roster every season at all, much less to do so at an elite level.

Great story.

He did the right thing. I'm happy for him. Will be interesting to see if he can take his game to the NBA.

Also give some credit to Lon Kruger. He's been a great coach everywhere he has been. Done a fantastic job at Oklahoma. It's very hard to maintain a basketball program and recruit at a football school.

We took Quade Green. Kids in this class didn't want to play with Young, so Cal went in another direction. Otherwise, Knox and Diallo probably wouldn't be here, and Quade also gave us a better shot at Bamba.

There are so many moving parts to recruiting that it's amazing Cal is able to rebuild an entire roster every season at all, much less to do so at an elite level.
Young also wanted to drag out his decesion for the spotlight and to make a spectacle. If he had committed early he would be in the blue & White this year.

I always liked his game. All this, people don't want to play with him, I like to see proof. Kid has a feel to the game that's smooth. Happy for OU, Trae will prove himself.
I feel like by hoping for Bamba, Green was chosen, but we didn't get Bamba so...
Quade is working out, but for any of you, watch ou play. If he gets passed the next two games, well, we may have missed on a great one

Reactions: EliteBlue

We all forgot your are an insider with connects to the young bball players from coast to coast. Thanks for all that you do.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
BY BEN ROBERTS

broberts@herald-leader.com
NOVEMBER 19, 2016 09:38 PM

UPDATED NOVEMBER 19, 2016 09:41 PM

With Quade Green’s public commitment to the University of Kentucky on Saturday night, John Calipari now has his point guard of the future.

The UK coach might have also improved his chances to land a couple of Top 10 recruits in the 2017 class.

Green — a 6-foot-1 prospect from Philadelphia — is arguably the best floor leader in high school basketball, and Calipari has told his high school coach, Neumann-Goretti’s Carl Arrigale, that other top recruits want to be on his team in college.

[...]

“He’s a guy that other guys gravitate to,” Arrigale told the Herald-Leaader a few days ago. “I remember talking to Cal when he came for a meeting at the school. He said, ‘Guys want to play with him.’ And that didn’t surprise me. He’s got that type of way about him. You know he’s going to be a guy who’s out there fighting for you and trying to lead you the best he can.”

Five-star forward PJ Washington mentioned Green as a player he’d like to team up with shortly after announcing his own commitment to UK earlier this month.

Two other five-star recruits in the 2017 class might feel the same way.

Mohamed Bamba — the No. 2 overall player in the Scout.com rankings — was an AAU teammate of Green’s and greatly benefited from the new UK signee’s team-first approach. Bamba and Green both visited Lexington for Big Blue Madness last month, and they sat together at Madison Square Garden for the Wildcats’ victory over Michigan State on Tuesday night.

Bamba spoke to the Herald-Leader earlier this year about his experience playing alongside Green.

“It means everything. It means the world,” Bamba said. “To play with a good point guard, it takes your game to a whole new level. … He’s great. He’s so smooth and poised. You don’t see that at this age.”

Hamidou Diallo — the No. 1 shooting guard in the 2017 class — could also be impacted by Green’s commitment to Kentucky.

Diallo — a 6-5 prospect from Queens, N.Y. — has not said much publicly about his recruitment, but UK is thought to be among his top schools. He also has such a close relationship with Green that some recruiting analysts were recently predicting that Diallo would ultimately land at Syracuse, because that was assumed to be Green’s leader up until a couple of days ago.

Green’s decision to sign with the Wildcats should only help them as they continue to pursue Diallo, who is the only shooting guard Calipari is still recruiting and is also not expected to make a college decision until the spring.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article115991798.html

Well he didn't come here, so who cares? He's happy at OU where he can take 25 shots a game on an ok team, and we will be just fine making a tournament run without him.

Reactions: dckala2
One of the best shooters in the class, Young appeared to really love Kentucky and was believed by many to be the Cats’ future point guard in the 2017-18 season. Then something changed.

Calipari began to receive mixed signals from Young’s father, Ray. On top of that, there were rumors that other top recruits didn't want to play alongside Young. Being a shoot-first point guard, other elite high schoolers want to play with someone who will set the table for them, keep everyone fed and not play with a “me first” attitude.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/10/...ball-player-preview-quade-green-floor-general

I guess if we had better basketball dorms mama would have been OK with it. But she felt UK was not taking good care of their players by putting them in a dorm from the d"ark ages". Of all the players UK has recruited over the years she may be the only parent to complain about UK living conditions.

I think Young made the right choice

I didn't see anything in there about our dorms. What I saw was that "he wanted to be the guy". That doesn't happen at UK, or at least you are not guaranteed you will be "the guy". If you earn it on the court, then so be it. So let him go be the big dog in the small pen.

I don't think the knock on him being a shoot-first PG is valid. He is 3rd in the nation in assists.

His usage rate is astronomical though. It's like saying James Harden is a pass-first point guard because he's second in the NBA in assists. The ball is just always in his hands and every play goes through him.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Young is shooting a good % (47.6%, 37.9%, 88.9%). So far Young has averaged 18.0 FG attempts, and 9.0 3pt-attempts per game.

In Cal's tenure, our maximum's have been:
FGA/gm:
Murray 14.9
Monk 14.7
Knight 13.5
Fox 12.4

3ptA/gm:
Murray 7.7
Monk 6.9
Knight 6.1
J.Young 5.9

He wanted lots of shots!

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Great story.

He did the right thing. I'm happy for him. Will be interesting to see if he can take his game to the NBA.

Also give some credit to Lon Kruger. He's been a great coach everywhere he has been. Done a fantastic job at Oklahoma. It's very hard to maintain a basketball program and recruit at a football school.
No offense, but I would never put Lon Kruger and great coach in adjoining sentences.

Reactions: awf
Young is shooting a good % (47.6%, 37.9%, 88.9%). So far Young has averaged 18.0 FG attempts, and 9.0 3pt-attempts per game.

In Cal's tenure, our maximum's have been:
FGA/gm:
Murray 14.9
Monk 14.7
Knight 13.5
Fox 12.4

3ptA/gm:
Murray 7.7
Monk 6.9
Knight 6.1
J.Young 5.9

He wanted lots of shots!

Remember how upset folks were at Brandon Knight for virtually the entire season until the SEC tournament? Imagine a kid taking three more threes per game than Knight did. This place would erupt.

Remember how upset folks were at Brandon Knight for virtually the entire season until the SEC tournament? Imagine a kid taking three more threes per game than Knight did. This place would erupt.
And he did kill us with his shooting in the NCAA championship game. imo

Dragging or waiting to see what the roster is in the spring? Id say the later. And Kruger is a good coach like in the OTS realm.

So why couldn't that be the same case with Young? I guess he's looking for spotlight since he didn't come here and everyone else is making a smart decision to wait.

And he did kill us with his shooting in the NCAA championship game. imo

We shot like 30% from the field in that game. If no one is making them, we might as well go down with our best player shooting it. He couldn't buy a bucket though, you're right. Like 5/25 or something awful.

And we lost by a point. That one doesn't hurt as badly because folks didn't expect that team to win a title, but man, what a brutal way for a season to end. We're due.

So why couldn't that be the same case with Young? I guess he's looking for spotlight since he didn't come here and everyone else is making a smart decision to wait.
yeah, he wanted shots, the ball in his hands and to be the absolute man. And he is at OKL. Here he'd be getting half his shots at 18 at OKL here 10-12 at most.

I think the article pretty much summed it up. Young wanted to be "The Guy, right away," and Cal makes no promises. If you earn it, you get it, and if you don't, you sit. I guess Young wasn't confident enough to take his chances.

Reactions: awf
I didn't see anything in there about our dorms. What I saw was that "he wanted to be the guy". That doesn't happen at UK, or at least you are not guaranteed you will be "the guy". If you earn it on the court, then so be it. So let him go be the big dog in the small pen.
From USA TODAY February 14, 2017....
When the conversation turns to cons, Ray peers over at Candice, smiles, and then motions for her to reel off her list.

“Keep it real,” he says. “I know you’ve got ‘em.”

“I’ve actually got more pros,” she says matter of factly. “But the housing… They’ve got the worst dorms out of all the schools.”

“Yeah they did,” Trae says with a laugh. “But to Coach Cal’s point, you don’t pick a school based on the housing.”

“Yeah, but you’ve gotta live there for nine months,” Candice replies. “I mean come on now it was one room, the sink was in the bedroom; definitely traditional old school dorm room.”

UK has thrived on the notion that you can be part of a class that has 6 5stars and still shine and get drafted as high as possible. Taking a player like Young could totally have upset things, as he had a reputation that he is the man and no one else. Sure, if he ends up averaging 30 points or something, many on this board will look at it as a failure.

If we had gotten him and let's say just one or two of the guys we have now, do we make the NCAA tournament??????

That is the real question...

People need to realize, it is not as simple as getting the best 5 recruits, but the best 5 that will buy into what Calipari is selling.

Reactions: mailman85
From USA TODAY February 14, 2017....
When the conversation turns to cons, Ray peers over at Candice, smiles, and then motions for her to reel off her list.

“Keep it real,” he says. “I know you’ve got ‘em.”

“I’ve actually got more pros,” she says matter of factly. “But the housing… They’ve got the worst dorms out of all the schools.”

“Yeah they did,” Trae says with a laugh. “But to Coach Cal’s point, you don’t pick a school based on the housing.”

“Yeah, but you’ve gotta live there for nine months,” Candice replies. “I mean come on now it was one room, the sink was in the bedroom; definitely traditional old school dorm room.”

They have a sink! That's high-class dorm-room livin there.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
I don't think the knock on him being a shoot-first PG is valid. He is 3rd in the nation in assists.
I think many are overplaying the notion "nobody wanted to play with him and Cal moved to Quade".

It seems pretty obvious Cal wanted Young first and it simply was Young didn't want to verbal that quickly and eventually Cal just moved to second option in Quade Green who didn't wait to verbal.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Strange thing is that Green hasnt shown as much skill creating for orhers as he has being more of a lead guard who looks for his 3 pt shot. Not that he's selfish, he certainly isn't, but he's struggled a bit distributing the ball at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT