ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Preseason Coaches Poll released

I think we have a better football team than just about everyone ranked after Texas A&M at #13. JMO, of course.

Edit: Throw in Notre Dame for good measure.

Not a bad starting point.
Old adage applies:
It is not how you start, it is how you finish.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I don't agree with these coaches at all.. I think UK is much better than that, this is going to be a really tuff year to judge what this team can do.. My own opinion but I think we are in the top 20 and no worse than top 25..

GBB

UK finished with 73 total points, placing it in the “others receiving votes” category and a No. 29 overall placement among all teams. That is the program’s highest preseason ranking in the coaches’ poll during the tenure of head coach Mark Stoops, who took the reins in 2013. It is also the team’s highest preseason ranking in the coaches’ poll since at least the 1992 season, when USA Today took over its publication.

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article244773932.html#storylink=cpy

UK finished with 73 total points, placing it in the “others receiving votes” category and a No. 29 overall placement among all teams. That is the program’s highest preseason ranking in the coaches’ poll during the tenure of head coach Mark Stoops, who took the reins in 2013. It is also the team’s highest preseason ranking in the coaches’ poll since at least the 1992 season, when USA Today took over its publication.

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article244773932.html#storylink=cpy

So its UK’s highest preseason ranking in the Coaches Poll in 28 yrs.
And heaven knows we Kentuckians needed a high ranking in football in 1992 after the damn Laettner shot ripped our collective hearts out!

Last edited:
And heaven knows we Kentuckians needed a high ranking in football in 1992

I think the way that is worded . . . “since at least” . . . shows they are not sure about our rankings prior to 1992. I seriously doubt Bill Curry’s 1992 team has a Top 30 pre-season ranking. We started with wins in 3 of our first 4, with a fairly respectable loss to 4th ranked Florida, 35-19, and were not ranked in the Top 25 with a 3-1 record.

I don't agree with these coaches at all.. I think UK is much better than that, this is going to be a really tuff year to judge what this team can do.. My own opinion but I think we are in the top 20 and no worse than top 25..

GBB

Yep.

But it doesn't bother me at all to have a chance to sneak up on some teams.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I've watched this stuff for too long to put my Heels in the top 20 this early. Takes more than a couple good classes to rebuild a roster. We lost a lot of close games last year, won some close ones as well. Top 20, to me, means you win most if not all the games you should (app st, wake forest, pitt) and close on anything else you have a decent chance of winning (clemson, va tech). So, without those results, it's just another preseason poll. Just speculation.

The Amway Board of Coaches is made up of 65 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association.
The board for the 2020 season:
SEC and Kentucky schools in BOLD
Dino Babers, Syracuse;
Craig Bohl, Wyoming;
Neal Brown, West Virginia;
Troy Calhoun, Air Force;
Matt Campbell, Iowa State;
Steve Campbell, South Alabama;
Jason Candle, Toledo;
Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina;
Paul Chryst, Wisconsin;
Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech;
David Cutcliffe, Duke;
Butch Davis, Florida International;
Manny Diaz, Miami (Fla.);
Dana Dimel, Texas-El Paso;
Sonny Dykes, Southern Methodist;
Luke Fickell, Cincinnati;
Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M;
Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern;
James Franklin, Penn State;
Hugh Freeze, Liberty;
Willie Fritz, Tulane;
Scott Frost, Nebraska;
Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech;
Todd Graham, Hawaii;
Jeff Hafley, Boston College;
Thomas Hammock, Northern Illinois;
Bryan Harsin, Boise State;
Will Healy, Charlotte;
Clay Helton, Southern California;
Tyson Helton, Western Kentucky;
Tom Herman, Texas;
Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech;
Mike Houston, East Carolina;
Brian Kelly, Notre Dame;
Chris Klieman, Kansas State;
Lance Leipold, Buffalo;
Tim Lester, Western Michigan;
Seth Littrell, North Texas;
Mike Locksley, Maryland;
Scot Loeffler, Bowling Green;
Chad Lunsford, Georgia Southern;
Gus Malzahn, Auburn;
Doug Martin, New Mexico State;
Jeff Monken, Army;
Dan Mullen, Florida;
Billy Napier, Louisiana-Lafayette;
Ken Niumatalolo, Navy;
Jay Norvell, Nevada;
Ed Orgeron, LSU;
Gary Patterson, TCU;
Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee;
Nick Saban, Alabama
;
Scott Satterfield, Louisville;
Jeff Scott, South Florida;
Kirby Smart, Georgia;
Lovie Smith, Illinois;
Jonathan Smith, Oregon State;
Frank Solich, Ohio;
Jake Spavital, Texas State;
Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee;
Kevin Sumlin, Arizona;
Dabo Swinney, Clemson;
Mel Tucker, Michigan State;
Matt Wells, Texas Tech;
Kyle Whittingham, Utah.

I would agree. But if you look at the last 2019 poll: UK was 36th with 5 votes and UL was 38th with 3 votes. ... I watched the UK/UL game last year ... NO way in any serious poll those 2 teams should be ranked NEAR each other.
Polls are nothing more than a subject to talk about.
Most coaches who vote have little knowledge about teams from other conferences, IMO.

If the virus leaves us alone, UK will fair well this season.
I have predicted 8-2 for UK with a 10 game SEC schedule in another thread. I still feel that way.

Right there with you. I still think it's a 1 or 2 loss season. Let's beat Bama at home and put the crown on this impossible year

Right there with you. I still think it's a 1 or 2 loss season. Let's beat Bama at home and put the crown on this impossible year
We have every thing I ever wanted in a UK football team.
Experience
A great OL and DL
Depth with talent,
A starting QB with a great starting record and a reason to succeed. ( a family to provide for in the near future and showing he has the drive to come off an injury)
Great coaches who produce great players.
Up and coming play makers.
I could rant on and on but I'll let you guys fill in any thing I failed to mention.

This is a great opportunity to show the rest of the SEC and pollesters, UK football is the Real Deal.

Really excited about this team. (Does it show?)

ADVERTISEMENT