ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett retiring, effective immediately.

I wish we could reverse NIL and base a player and teams achievements as the ultimate reward for competing in college.

Coach Bennett, probably see's the writing on the wall and wants to enjoy rather than stress about the complexities now of being a college coach.

Good riddance. His style of play was disgusting and embarrassing to the sport and if you can't adapt, then it's time to die. So he decided to off himself and quit on his players prior to the season starting in a few weeks. That's some loser BS.

People can spray the perfume on the pile he's dropped all they want. He's a quitter who was afraid to adapt and embrace being uncomfortable. Every coach pushes their players to challenge themselves, find a new gym if they are the best player in it, work on their game, be comfortable not being the best, etc....and this guy didn't like that players were telling him to get bent rather than choose UVA due to how putrid the style of play he coaches and was surprised? Nate Ament was not going to play for him nor should he.

The sport got better today with him gone. People like him need to go if they afraid to adapt or work at their craft and can't handle players making $/having opportunities.

Good riddance. His style of play was disgusting and embarrassing to the sport and if you can't adapt, then it's time to die. So he decided to off himself and quit on his players prior to the season starting in a few weeks. That's some loser BS.

People can spray the perfume on the pile he's dropped all they want. He's a quitter who was afraid to adapt and embrace being uncomfortable. Every coach pushes their players to challenge themselves, find a new gym if they are the best player in it, work on their game, be comfortable not being the best, etc....and this guy didn't like that players were telling him to get bent rather than choose UVA due to how putrid the style of play he coaches and was surprised? Nate Ament was not going to play for him nor should he.

The sport got better today with him gone. People like him need to go if they afraid to adapt or work at their craft and can't handle players making $/having opportunities.
What is your true opinion Ralph? lol

I wish we could reverse NIL and base a player and teams achievements as the ultimate reward for competing in college.

Coach Bennett, probably see's the writing on the wall and wants to enjoy rather than stress about the complexities now of being a college coach.
Making 3.6M a year. At a school where he was basically untouchable.

No crying on the yacht. Pay me that kind of money and I’ll work like crazy NIL or not.

Anybody on that roster worth calling to walk on? What about TJ Power, he have any upside?

The sport got better today with him gone. People like him need to go if they afraid to adapt or work at their
craft and can't handle players making $/having opportunities.
I still think he can coach the pro game if interested.
You don't have to be an up tempo coach to succeed in the NBA.
Of all your criticism of Bennett, you never said the man was stupid
Probably one of the highest IQ coaches in the game.

I think it’s the “changing landscape” thing. Bennett and his old school system are bad fits for this new NIL money/transfer portal CBB world. He knew it too and decided to get out while the getting’s still good.

I think Jay Wright quit for much the same reasons.
And Roy and it probably accelerated Coach K's retirement.

Only bad word ever spoken about the guy is his offense is straight out of the Woody Hayes playboo...... whoops, wrong sport. But they average about the same number of points per game.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. While it's his choice, we're still trying to balance on that "these are kids" fence. As they're coach, he talks regularly about things like sticking together, TEAM, not quiting, etc. At least that's our perception. In truth, big time college basketball is, and has been, more like a professional league since at least the 80s. And with NIL, it has rightfully removed the mask.

We could speculate dozens of reasons. I'll throw out 2 good ones and a wild 1 since health is apparently off the table.

1. Bennett "Dean Smithed" VA - Ensured a beloved assistant got a free trial year
2. VA and donors got together and yanked his NIL money. This killed recruiting and told him this season was all or nothing. Bennett said fine, here's the keys. Figure out '24-25 on your own.

My wild card- since it's like a pro team, players run the show, right. They want more freedom to showcase their talents. Internal discussions, whether ugly or not, lead to Bennett handing the reigns over.

Reactions: UKCatWoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT