ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett retiring, effective immediately.

Guess they are stuck with an interim coach for the season. Not going to get anyone legit to leave and come in this late unless they are retired or doing TV. Still would be tough for anyone to want to come in with a team completely recruited by someone else and have no practice time hardly at all before the season. Has to be something bad that happened to get him to abandon the job this late.

Just saw goodmans tweet, so Bennett essentially retired because of the changing landscape in college basketball. A.KA he didn’t like NIL and having to play a offensive style of basketball.
And I agree with him, if that's what it was. The only way it will ever be fixed is for a complete reset.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Guess they are stuck with an interim coach for the season.
calipari GIF by SB Nation

I'd be itching to get out of Fayetteville even if I'd only been there for a few months.

Virginia fans might crap a brick with a fast paste system.

Given the timing, I agree it seems medical. If it is, I hope the guy is alright and it's nothing cancerous or neuropathic.

Life is too short to mess around if your heart's not in something. The "right timing" of this in the eyes of the general public is irrelevant. What matters is what Bennett wants and what his family wants and needs.

We'll forget about this as a story by next week, but Tony's life is his and he needs to do what is best for him.

Getting out now if he knows his heart isn't it is a good move. Also helps ensure one of his assistants gets the job. Calhoun retired about 2 months before the season and essentially did the same thing.

Life is too short to mess around if your heart's not in something. The "right timing" of this in the eyes of the general public is irrelevant. What matters is what Bennett wants and what his family wants and needs.

We'll forget about this as a story by next week, but Tony's life is his and he needs to do what is best for him.

Getting out now if he knows his heart isn't it is a good move. Also helps ensure one of his assistants gets the job. Calhoun retired about 2 months before the season and essentially did the same thing.
I get what you’re saying from an outsiders opinion- but would you feel the same if Cal stuck around this summer, then retired weeks before the season and we had Brusier as an interim coach lol

Sounds like he wanted to make sure his buddy got a shot at it or got the job. Retire too early and a bigger name coach shows interest or donors want to go after someone with experience.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I get what you’re saying from an outsiders opinion- but would you feel the same if Cal stuck around this summer, then retired weeks before the season and we had Brusier as an interim coach lol
Good question! I'd be pissed if he stayed or left that way, but again, it's their decision.

Kind of an apples to oranges thing. Bennett elevated Virginia to a level not even thought was possible. He could have retired a week after the season started, and any reasonable UVA fan is going to tip their hats to him while singing "The Searches" by the Sons of the Pioneers as he rides off into the sunset.

Cal, meanwhile, blew up the program while he was here and a Bruiser last second replacement would at least mean Cal is still gone and we'd have a full year to get a replacement to take over for Flint.

Good question! I'd be pissed if he stayed or left that way, but again, it's their decision.

Kind of an apples to oranges thing. Bennett elevated Virginia to a level not even thought was possible. He could have retired a week after the season started, and any reasonable UVA fan is going to tip their hats to him while singing "The Searches" by the Sons of the Pioneers as he rides off into the sunset.

Cal, meanwhile, blew up the program while he was here and a Bruiser last second replacement would at least mean Cal is still gone and we'd have a full year to get a replacement to take over for Flint.
Fair. I do agree with you that I will probably forget about this in a weeks time. But I know the players probably will not forget it. I’ve had the experience of signing up for a team based on the coach, and then that coach dipped out early into the season and it sucked. I wonder how many players will stick around vs jump in the portal? Hopefully this was already established behind the scenes with the players.

This guy had the luckiest title run in recent history as well. That Purdue game and then the auburn choke job come to mind. They also avoided a tougher opponent n UK due to the classic Cal March choke job.

Not to mention the title game when Texas Tech was up 3 with like 20 seconds left and instead of Tech letting a player from UVA make a layup, they decide to contest the shot instead of guarding the perimeter. UVA player kicked out and the 3 was hit to tie.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT