ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Lloyd ain’t it

What has Cal done the last 3 years?

What’s crazy is even with Lloyds ho hum/craps his pants tourney results it’s STILL better than John Calipari’s tournament results the last 3 years.

Thoughts on that? Because I’ve not seen you use the same energy for Cal that you’re using here for Lloyd.

Not saying Lloyd is it at all but it’s wild that if we fired our current coach right now and hired Lloyd, based on the last several seasons, Lloyd would be more successful than our $9 million per year coach.
1) what does this thread have to do with Cal?
2) I’ve said 50 times the last week that Cal should leave and Mitch should have made a change
3) you don’t pay attention

I’m reluctant to judge coaches by tournament results. It’s such a volatile event and even the greats of the modern era have their duds in it. Even applying this to Cal, I’m far more upset that we don’t win the SEC anymore, don’t don’t win many big games against ranked teams anymore, are in danger of losing the all-times wins lead, etc. than I am a couple of upsets in the tournament (although we lost those for many of the same reason's we’re not special in the regular season).

I wouldn’t write off Lloyd just because of three disappointing tournament results. That’s a small sample size, especially when his teams are having the kind of seasons to make that result a disappointment in the first place.
Great perspective. To me, it is about the long regular season stretch from November to March. This isn't college football. The NCAA tournament is the worst method in all of sports to crown champion. Too many teams get in, one and done format.

In regards to the regular season, UK isn't winning the SEC anytime soon. Will be lucky to finish in the top 5 next year.

How nice it must be to even get to the Sweet 16.
Three straight years as a 1 or 2 seed without getting past the S16. It might be better than 2020’s Cal but that ain’t gonna fly here either. The pitchforks would be out in short order.

I'm not too worried about this. He's still young, he's still relatively new to Arizona. I think part of the problem is playing in the Pac12 which is doing doing nothing for testing his team.

I'd still give him a look, but it seems it might be in a year ot two.

Great regular seasons in a terrible conference and then craps his pants.

Lloyd has now lost in the Sweet 16 or earlier three straight years as a 1 or 2 seed

Are you just the lord of bad takes? He’s a pretty damn good coach we could be doing a lot worse. Oh wait we are. For a guy that’s defended Calipari the way you have to turn around and bash a guy like Lloyd at Arizona shows the mindset of a guy who is suckered by men like Caliapri.

Lloyd would be a HUGE upgrade from Calipari and might so really well with UK. He hasn’t even been there long. .

Having said that no, Lloyd isn’t my first or second or 3rd call. But at this point I’d still take him. We’re an absolute disaster. To think you ran to this board to post that after that loss. This is what you take from it?

I’m reluctant to judge coaches by tournament results. It’s such a volatile event and even the greats of the modern era have their duds in it. Even applying this to Cal, I’m far more upset that we don’t win the SEC anymore, don’t don’t win many big games against ranked teams anymore, are in danger of losing the all-times wins lead, etc. than I am a couple of upsets in the tournament (although we lost those for many of the same reasons we’re not special in the regular season).

I wouldn’t write off Lloyd just because of three disappointing tournament results. That’s a small sample size, especially when his teams are having the kind of seasons to make that result a disappointment in the first place.

OP doesn’t know what a sample size is. Extremely bi polar and has no ability to rationalize or reason. The cult is funny, they always see another coaches loss as a means to feel good about Calipari. . With no concept about context or what any of it means lol.

Are you just the lord of bad takes? He’s a pretty damn good coach we could be doing a lot worse. Oh wait we are. For a guy that’s defended Calipari the way you have to turn around and bash a guy like Lloyd at Arizona shows the mindset of a guy who is suckered by men like Caliapri.

Lloyd would be a HUGE upgrade from Calipari and might so really well with UK. He hasn’t even been there long. .

Having said that no, Lloyd isn’t my first or second or 3rd call. But at this point I’d still take him. We’re an absolute disaster. To think you ran to this board to post that after that loss. This is what you take from it?
Joined 5 days ago, huh? Good try

Bill Self was at KU for 5 years before he won a title. Cal didn’t win a title until he came to UK. I wouldn’t count out Lloyd yet.
I certainly am not counting him out. I guess the fear would be that he’s coaching a big fish in a small pond (weak conference) so could he replicate that success here? If he had converted any of his three 1/2 seeds into a deep tournament run then I’d feel a little better about that. But as it stands it’s still an open question in my mind.

I like him, but suspect coaching against Maryland. Completely abandoned the offense and just kept jacking 3’s that weren’t falling. 5/28 from 3 for 17%. I know some of that is on the players, but have to put a lot of that on the coach as well.

First time I've seen them all year. They played a lot like us - with no plan whatsoever. I was not impressed.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Starting threads to downgrade a coach as a replacement just because they lost a game is infantile.

Now if you want to talk about specifics, AZ played/plays a lot like us - pretty much like they have no plan and are undisciplined.

Clemson was the exact opposite. They executed with purpose, the coach used timeouts extremely well and they were impressive. Not saying I want their coach as ours, but they were very impressive as an example of a team well coached.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
1) what does this thread have to do with Cal?
2) I’ve said 50 times the last week that Cal should leave and Mitch should have made a change
3) you don’t pay attention

The new go to for the Calipari group. “I SAID I want a chanGE BUT….

Yea we know you finally woke up a little after years and years of being absolutely insufferably wrong. Showing some humility could go a long way but that’s not the route you’re gonna take. It’s actually made several of you lash out even more.

Reactions: KTBFFH92
---
Apparently the next UK coach will be whoever wins the championship. Take a loss in the tournament & they're out of contention.
He’s done a fantastic job since taking over Arizona. They’ve not been below a 2 seed in the tournament and they were in a lot of trouble when he got there. I don’t know how someone could come to the conclusion he’s not “it” based off 3 seasons

Something to think about. If a coach wins a title at another school, it makes it unlikely they will come here. You come to UK because it gives you the tools you need to win one. If you already have that, no need to leave. And if they've won, they probably got a nice pay raise and buyout too, so money won't even be that much of an incentive. Our next coach is probably going to have to be someone who's been on the cusp of winning it but hasn't quite gotten there yet. Then you hope that our facilities, tradition, fan base and money are just what he needed to push him over that hump.

Something to think about. If a coach wins a title at another school, it makes it unlikely they will come here. You come to UK because it gives you the tools you need to win one. If you already have that, no need to leave. And if they've won, they probably got a nice pay raise and buyout too, so money won't even be that much of an incentive. Our next coach is probably going to have to be someone who's been on the cusp of winning it but hasn't quite gotten there yet. Then you hope that our facilities, tradition, fan base and money are just what he needed to push him over that hump.

I disagree slightly. I think UK is as attractive as it is because it’s the biggest challenge of them all. It’s the largest fanbase and the biggest stage. Winning here means you’re in history with rare company, and just winning a title doesn’t necessarily bring that to you. Donovan was seriously considering jumping to UK in the middle of title runs but chose to go pro. He would have more than likely been at UK had the NBA not been in his plans.

For some coaches if they can where they are they might stay, but for others they want the biggest challenge on the biggest stage regardless. Depends on the personality.

Another thing to consider is UK is still in search of its modern goat. And being able to call yourself the modern goat of Kentucky basketball is something many of these types of guys can’t turn down. It’s a huge selling point that comes with this job. Had Pitino won two titles it might have changed that but his title teams are split between him and Tubby.

He’s done a fantastic job since taking over Arizona. They’ve not been below a 2 seed in the tournament and they were in a lot of trouble when he got there. I don’t know how someone could come to the conclusion he’s not “it” based off 3 seasons
While I agree that it's tough to make a judgement based on 3 seasons, there has to be some concern that he has underachieved in the post season all 3 years he has been a head coach. I would be on board with him as the next coach, but hopefully next year, he shows something because 4 years in a row of underachieving in the tournament would be an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT