ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Leach show this morning - cited someone who thinks PJ and QG are gone, JV and WG back

“We are the youngest team in the country that poops ice cream and keeps our brothers. Like.... what!?”

Can’t wait to hear that for the first time.

So, you think your a "Basketball Benny"? "Go back and review some more game tapes"!:D

That's the first 2 Calisms I thought of when I read your post.[laughing]

Reactions: Col. Angus
If I'm Cal, I would not let Quade play games. If you're staying or leaving let Cal know ASAP. If not & I'm Cal I go all in on Maxey reclassifying.

EDIT: And maybe Quade has let him know already what his plans are

With EJ coming in, PJ can play the small forward position. Cal's only post option last year ended up being him. He has a face up game as well a limited ability to drive. Again, I believe if he were to return he has the ability and grit to be in the running of SEC POY. His length and athleticsm makes him a perfect body type for a 3 & D...all he has to show is a constant abiltity to hit the 3. By returning, he can showcase and improve that ability. A frontcourt of Junior Wenyen, sophomores PJ, Nick, JV and freshman EJ is a great blend of experience, athleticsm, scoring, rebounding, and skill. This frontcourt would be tops in SEC, and top 5 in the nation. Couple that with our incoming Backcourt, a lot to he excited about...and highly favored to make it to US Bank Stadium!!!

Quade leaving would hurt for the first part of the season if not longer. Does anyone not study history and previous outcomes? We must have an experienced P.G to direct others on both ends of the court. It isn't about talent alone. All the new players won't know any of the offensive or defensive schemes, where to be on the court, group defense, etc.

The two reasons I would think Quade would leave? 1. His feelings were hurt when he lost the starting position and he concluded that Cal is not the best coach for his type of game. 2. He sees all the guards coming in and lacks trust and confidence that he won't be the main point guard.

Regarding PJ considering staying in the draft; either he (and his family) are crazy or we are. He can be a NBA player (I don't agree with those worried about height-again that isn't historically correct). But, his offense of only reliable low-post baseline moves is too limited at present to make it in the NBA. He needs to develop a reliable mid range shot.
No you’re incorrect on having an experienced pg. since Cal has got here we’ve gone further with a freshmen pg except with one exception of Andrew Harrison he got us to two back to back final fours and one championship games. No other sophomore or experienced pg got us further under Cal

Reactions: 1war
Indeed. Nba drafts on potential and PJ’s measurables aren’t off the charts so his potential is shaky. He has to show that he can do something with his 6’7” frame. I still think he can be a top 20 pick but he’s gotta show more than he has so far. We saw glimpses of it this year but not enough that I think he’ll get any decent draft pick yet.

If he can build on his play from the last month or so of this past season he’ll be projected top 20. Going now makes very little to no sense.

Based on the lack of anything from Quade, I’m just gonna assume he transfers once the semester is over. He’s been entirely too quiet during all this speculation
More likely he’s waitinv to see what guards reclassify. Right now it’s on he and Quickly at the point.

Based on the lack of anything from Quade, I’m just gonna assume he transfers once the semester is over. He’s been entirely too quiet during all this speculation
Actually this is the exact opposite. If he is transferring we will know in the next day or 2. As transfers are announced between the first week in April and the last week. And 70-80% of the transfers that will happen have been announced. Also the only way we will hear anything is if Green is leaving. He isn't going to say anything if he is staying. Why would he ? He never said anything about thinking about leaving in the first place.

i’ll add what people are forgetting while scouting him. his biggest attribute is his post work (lateral movement) and toughness if you will. that’s what was going to get him into the nba. i mean if it isn’t shooting or size etc. what is it? just calling it like i see it, and i mean he can’t really improve those attributes enough to make a big jump next year.

i’ve been on record saying i think he jumps. shooting is his only real deficiency but that’s not his strength. he’s not a stretch 4 and wouldn’t be next year. we want his inside game, domination next year, but again that’s what i think he’s shown already and what was going to get him in the league regardless.

the opposite attributes apply to wenyen. who i also think is gone. could he improve his post game next year. enough to go higher? his game is on the weak side and spacing. would be great to have back, but again, i think he’s already proven his best attributes.

people seem to think that if wenyen develops a post game and gets bigger or if pj develops shooting they will be lottery picks next year. i simply don’t think they would enough because they’ve already defined their roles. so they go while they’re younger. will they make it? who knows. could they have been dominant on the college level, sure. but they came to kentucky i’m sure for the exposure and the player’s first mentality that could get them to the league.

More likely he’s waitinv to see what guards reclassify. Right now it’s on he and Quickly at the point.
No then he would have to wait til July or August. Green knows what he is doing by now. If he is leaving we will know in the next couple of days. Honestly if today comes and goes with no word of him leaving then I will feel good. We ain't going to ever hear he is coming back if he is as you don't announce you aren't transferring unless you previously announced you were.

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen nobody knows but me. Nobody knows what Quade, JV, PJ or WG will do, but I'm betting they all poo. I had a dream last night about all four of these guys returning for next year. They were all playing on an outside court and it was the NC game. Kentucky was ahead of Lee's Junior College by 21 with 2 minutes to go. I remember getting up and going to the bathroom and when I returned to the game it was snowing and all four players were in NBA uniforms playing the all star game. Never did find out who won the game, I'll just assume we did......

PJ's job should be to try and get into the 1st Round and prepare like a pro. One thing I will say--he needs to quit putting up lame videos of him with Tim Martin if that's the intensity he's taking to a drill. So many guys want to be cool and not intense during a workout and "save" something/I'll do it during the game. Well you play like your prepare. If you are going to be half speed, barely get off the ground when shooting in a drill, why will you shoot well in a game?

There's not any secret formula to being a better shooter, it's putting up shots and working on doing so in a manner that matches what it'll be in a game. Whatever level, if you think it's too cool to bust your ass, then you'll fail to improve. When things get tough, you don't raise to a level, you sink back to your preparation/practice. It's why some players continue to excel and others fail when games/situations in games are tough.

So far I'm not impressed at all with Washington's step to be a Pro. I've seen excuses from his camp as to why he gagged at the FT line, when actuality is that's been norm for his career. Seen him "hurt" by criticism. He's on Social Media, look at what happens to guys on NBA teams after a Playoff game when they lose. Think it gets easier when you get paid? Coddling doesn't prepare you for the NBA at all. Time to get real about getting better if that's path he's wanting to take.

I'm all for people wanting to get to the highest level, but if you want to make it and last, the mindset has to change and only person that matters is the athlete. He needs to get on people around him and ask for real analysis and coaching--which unfortunately for young men it involves criticism. Your left pinky is broken and you shoot Right Handed, then own up to being a guy who gags at FT line and has and live in gym and change it. You don't like being criticized for being a poor FT shooter when it matters? Live in gym and shoot the ball. Want to have more opportunity to shoot and play on wing, then improve your wing skills and don't turn it over when you have ball (Wenyen too) and try to create and helps if you prepare like you plan on playing.

Hard work and preparation are undefeated. You will never get worse from investing in either. Fake work and half ass preparation are wasting time and you stay same--which means you got worse. Whether it's a neutral fan like myself or BBN fans, we don't control this, the athletes do, and sick of seeing guys say one thing and then work like it's a "given" they'll be drafted--and stay in league because they were a ranked recruit and had 1 year in a major program.

No you’re incorrect on having an experienced pg. since Cal has got here we’ve gone further with a freshmen pg except with one exception of Andrew Harrison he got us to two back to back final fours and one championship games. No other sophomore or experienced pg got us further under Cal

I'd strongly argue that had the Harrison twins left after their freshman season, UK would have lost a few regular season games, but would have likely won the title with ulis and Booker getting all of the minutes. So no 38-0, but a title...

So what does he gain by another year in college? He isn't going to get any taller. He may know he isn't ever going to be a NBA starter because of his lack of size, so might as well get paid sooner rather than later to be on the bench. He's as good as a couple of the rookies in Boston that got a lot of playing time this year.

What does he gain?
A year of strength conditioning. A year of working in one of the top facilities in college basketball. A year of footwork, jump shooting, and overall maturity you won't get in the G-League. Once you are baptized into basketball at the professional level you become a number. It's up to you to improve your game and get better. If you don't do that in 2 seasons, you are bounced. Without the guaranteed first round money, you are risking everything just bc you can't be patient for one year. And no, he isn't as good as anyone who put a summer league jersey on for Boston this year much less a few of their kids that got some clock time due to a rash of injuries. Oy vey, our fans sometimes. If the kid wants a career, he'll come back.

What does he gain?
A year of strength conditioning. A year of working in one of the top facilities in college basketball. A year of footwork, jump shooting, and overall maturity you won't get in the G-League. Once you are baptized into basketball at the professional level you become a number. It's up to you to improve your game and get better. If you don't do that in 2 seasons, you are bounced. Without the guaranteed first round money, you are risking everything just bc you can't be patient for one year. And no, he isn't as good as anyone who put a summer league jersey on for Boston this year much less a few of their kids that got some clock time due to a rash of injuries. Oy vey, our fans sometimes. If the kid wants a career, he'll come back.

He gains a chance at redemption of 8 of 20 at the line...oh stupid me ..that doesnt mean anything

Reactions: KFuqua
These kids all know what to say and how to come across on social ,that part of being ready for the NBA they have down.They remind me of younger kids of today,they are all superstars on video games but going out and playing a pick-up game they aren't quite so ready.All these AAU/travel team kids from the 4th grade on have athletic ability beyond the average kid but when ability isn't enough and it requires effort they can talk the talk but some can't walk the walk.

Semi Ojeleye is a better player than PJ Washington and spent 3 years in college. There's your answer as to what PJ can gain by coming back to UK. Ojeleye. A 2nd round pick taken 37 overall. PJ would get drafted lower than this if at all.

When is the last day they have to make their intentions known? This is all very nauseating.

PJ's job should be to try and get into the 1st Round and prepare like a pro. One thing I will say--he needs to quit putting up lame videos of him with Tim Martin if that's the intensity he's taking to a drill. So many guys want to be cool and not intense during a workout and "save" something/I'll do it during the game. Well you play like your prepare. If you are going to be half speed, barely get off the ground when shooting in a drill, why will you shoot well in a game?

There's not any secret formula to being a better shooter, it's putting up shots and working on doing so in a manner that matches what it'll be in a game. Whatever level, if you think it's too cool to bust your ass, then you'll fail to improve. When things get tough, you don't raise to a level, you sink back to your preparation/practice. It's why some players continue to excel and others fail when games/situations in games are tough.

So far I'm not impressed at all with Washington's step to be a Pro. I've seen excuses from his camp as to why he gagged at the FT line, when actuality is that's been norm for his career. Seen him "hurt" by criticism. He's on Social Media, look at what happens to guys on NBA teams after a Playoff game when they lose. Think it gets easier when you get paid? Coddling doesn't prepare you for the NBA at all. Time to get real about getting better if that's path he's wanting to take.

I'm all for people wanting to get to the highest level, but if you want to make it and last, the mindset has to change and only person that matters is the athlete. He needs to get on people around him and ask for real analysis and coaching--which unfortunately for young men it involves criticism. Your left pinky is broken and you shoot Right Handed, then own up to being a guy who gags at FT line and has and live in gym and change it. You don't like being criticized for being a poor FT shooter when it matters? Live in gym and shoot the ball. Want to have more opportunity to shoot and play on wing, then improve your wing skills and don't turn it over when you have ball (Wenyen too) and try to create and helps if you prepare like you plan on playing.

Hard work and preparation are undefeated. You will never get worse from investing in either. Fake work and half ass preparation are wasting time and you stay same--which means you got worse. Whether it's a neutral fan like myself or BBN fans, we don't control this, the athletes do, and sick of seeing guys say one thing and then work like it's a "given" they'll be drafted--and stay in league because they were a ranked recruit and had 1 year in a major program.
Best post in the thread!

For some reason this group of guys didnt mesh eith coach Cal and vice versa..hopefully just an abberation

When is the last day they have to make their intentions known? This is all very nauseating.

Everything will be settled by June 11. The deadline to declare was yesterday though. so if they haven't declared, they won't.

So what does he gain by another year in college? He isn't going to get any taller. He may know he isn't ever going to be a NBA starter because of his lack of size, so might as well get paid sooner rather than later to be on the bench. He's as good as a couple of the rookies in Boston that got a lot of playing time this year.
Because unless he gets drafted he takes a huge risk of not making a team at all. I just don't get the panic rush that so many of our kids have to jump to the NBA. Other athletes don't go so young - get better this offseason and then show the scouts that you're a 1st rounder and make bank. The NBA isn't forking out big bucks to work on your shot and defense.

Reactions: catben
On top of not being able to knock down open jumpers consistently, he doesn't have the handles to get to the rim on his own at the NBA level. How many times was he stripped driving to the basket this year? Too many to count.

6'7" PF's with no handle, a weak jumper and limited perimeter defensive skills are not in high demand at the next level.

I think his jumper is going to surprise teams.

Our post anchor doesn't always get a chance to show their range, but nearly all of them end up shooting it well during workouts. Davis, Willie, Towns, Skal, Bam.

If he shows the potential to be a good three point shooter, his drills and wingspan are going to wow teams. I think he's the only guy we have to worry about working himself into that 30-40 area where guys get promised a first round slot but aren't drafted there.

Hard work and preparation are undefeated. You will never get worse from investing in either. Fake work and half ass preparation are wasting time and you stay same--which means you got worse. Whether it's a neutral fan like myself or BBN fans, we don't control this, the athletes do, and sick of seeing guys say one thing and then work like it's a "given" they'll be drafted--and stay in league because they were a ranked recruit and had 1 year in a major program..

This is perfect for his situation. He has always had that mentality

To be honest....I've always thought Vanderbilt/Wenyen have more chance to stick in NBA than PJ...this year, in 5 years or 10 years.

1. Both Vanderbilt and Wenyen are more athletic.
2. Both Vanderbilt and Wenyen are a bit longer
3. Wenyen can project to be a potential stretch 4 that can defend which the NBA covets right now.
4. Vanderbilt showed off a rebounding tenacity in his short stent of games that would look very promising as a role player like a Dennis Rodman-ish kind of guy.
5. Vanderbilt has some above par ball handling and passing for a PF.

I'm still searching what skill PJ shows that will stick in NBA. He's not as deficient as Wenyen or Vanderbilt in all skills...but he's not elite at any one skill either. The big negative for PJ is 6'7 won't change and he's not a crazy athlete to compensate. I'm still trying to find out how that sticks in NBA ever to be honest.

I think his jumper is going to surprise teams.

Our post anchor doesn't always get a chance to show their range, but nearly all of them end up shooting it well during workouts. Davis, Willie, Towns, Skal, Bam.

If he shows the potential to be a good three point shooter, his drills and wingspan are going to wow teams. I think he's the only guy we have to worry about working himself into that 30-40 area where guys get promised a first round slot but aren't drafted there.
You have a point but I think there is more of a question about Washington's shot and size than the other players you list.He is 2 inches shorter than any of them. The draft might not be as strong but getting into the top 40 will be tough,he will need an extraordinary combine

You have a point but I think there is more of a question about Washington's shot and size than the other players you list.He is 2 inches shorter than any of them. The draft might not be as strong but getting into the top 40 will be tough,he will need an extraordinary combine

He's definitely smaller, but he's also a different position than any of them were drafted to play, his wingspan is longer than probably all but AD's, and he's got a 43" vertical according to our Cats Combine.

If he shoots it well, a team will be looking for a reason to take him. They'll want him in the draft as their fallback option.

Hopefully PJ and his dad are smart enough to know that's their role, but if he's looking to hear a first round team say "we'll take you if you're there with our pick," they might get that wish.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
i’ll add what people are forgetting while scouting him. his biggest attribute is his post work (lateral movement) and toughness if you will. that’s what was going to get him into the nba. i mean if it isn’t shooting or size etc. what is it? just calling it like i see it, and i mean he can’t really improve those attributes enough to make a big jump next year.

i’ve been on record saying i think he jumps. shooting is his only real deficiency but that’s not his strength. he’s not a stretch 4 and wouldn’t be next year. we want his inside game, domination next year, but again that’s what i think he’s shown already and what was going to get him in the league regardless.

the opposite attributes apply to wenyen. who i also think is gone. could he improve his post game next year. enough to go higher? his game is on the weak side and spacing. would be great to have back, but again, i think he’s already proven his best attributes.

people seem to think that if wenyen develops a post game and gets bigger or if pj develops shooting they will be lottery picks next year. i simply don’t think they would enough because they’ve already defined their roles. so they go while they’re younger. will they make it? who knows. could they have been dominant on the college level, sure. but they came to kentucky i’m sure for the exposure and the player’s first mentality that could get them to the league.

Intelligent post. Well stated and i tend to agree.

I guess... i just don’t get it. WG was... slightly above average? I guess? For us this year... i just can’t fathom him playing in the NBA... both him and PJ would get eaten alive right now (imo)

Reactions: hotelblue
Intelligent post. Well stated and i tend to agree.

I guess... i just don’t get it. WG was... slightly above average? I guess? For us this year... i just can’t fathom him playing in the NBA... both him and PJ would get eaten alive right now (imo)

I agree, and I don't think there's really ever a day in the near future where Wenyen Gabriel is a productive NBA player. Washington definitely can be.

So Wenyen has to decide if he wants to face the truth now or get a degree first. PJ has to decide if he wants to prove himself in the G-League or at PF for Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT