ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Hanks Best Movie?

BigBlueRick

Freshman
Jan 3, 2017
I just thought about this the other day.. Hanks is an artist, and has so many brilliant performances. Which one is his best?

For me it's gotta be Cast Away. Look at what he was surrounded by in that movie. A volleyball. That's a difficult task even for his standards, and he nails it. I know some hate it, but you can't deny the range of Tom Hanks with his dialogue with a non-human object.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Forest Gump is my favorite movie but he probably did his best work in Castaway. Guy has one of the most impressive resume of movies of any actor of all time.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Pretty hard to pick between Castaway, Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan. BIG is awesome as well.

Perhaps my favorite non-blockbuster is Road to Perdition. Love him in that movie.

I would have to agree that it's between the aforementioned 3 movies for top Tom Hanks movie. Some other good movies not already mentioned by others would include "Catch me if you can", "Captain Phillips" and "Bridge of Spies".

Last edited:
I like pretty much everything he's done, even Philadelphia wasn't all that bad. Nice, friendly guy too.
download_1477531141747_6644821_ver1.0.jpg

The very special two hour episode of Bosom Buddies that ended up being shown in a limited release at select major theaters. 'Buffy and Hildegard' get invited to a midsummer Mets game and make their way to the visiting Pirates locker room where they find themselves being pursued by an aging Wille Stargell. Willie, wanting one last hurrah in the Big Apple, eventually gets the 'girls' into the manager's office and has his way with Hanks' character. Scolari's Hildegard is told to stand in the corner and not watch, and we experience the sounds of raw passion and fear from Hanks through Scolari's viewpoint. The rest of the movie is spent dealing with important issues like rape, race and life in the gritty reality of early 80s New York City. Due to the unusual scenario where a TV show was also run as a film, it was eligible for neither an Emmy nor an Oscar, but most critics of both media said that Hanks deserved accolades for his sensitive and vulnerable performance. Truly groundbreaking.

Road to perdition is up there with a perfect world as most overlooked a level movie
On the flip side, Forest Gump is on the most overrated movie list. A true piece of shit that everyone thinks is awesome for some reason.

Reactions: Zar_Doz
The very special two hour episode of Bosom Buddies that ended up being shown in a limited release at select major theaters. 'Buffy and Hildegard' get invited to a midsummer Mets game and make their way to the visiting Pirates locker room where they find themselves being pursued by an aging Wille Stargell. Willie, wanting one last hurrah in the Big Apple, eventually gets the 'girls' into the manager's office and has his way with Hanks' character. Scolari's Hildegard is told to stand in the corner and not watch, and we experience the sounds of raw passion and fear from Hanks through Scolari's viewpoint. The rest of the movie is spent dealing with important issues like rape, race and life in the gritty reality of early 80s New York City. Due to the unusual scenario where a TV show was also run as a film, it was eligible for neither an Emmy nor an Oscar, but most critics of both media said that Hanks deserved accolades for his sensitive and vulnerable performance. Truly groundbreaking.

You are one effed up hilariously weird dude.:joy:

Reactions: funKYcat75
He was better in th TV show Perfect Strangers.

Reactions: funKYcat75
Forest Gump no doubt. Could argue that it is the greatest movie ever made. I hear that captain Phillips is really good too but I havent seen it

On the flip side, Forest Gump is on the most overrated movie list. A true piece of shit that everyone thinks is awesome for some reason.

It is way overrated. I don't think it's terrible...it just wasn't intended to be anything other than a cute story that's clearly a morality tail on the level of aesops fables. I'm not sure why people treat it like it's epic.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Joe vs the Volcano

Pretty sure that movie won an oscar for special effects or something like that. And Hanks was nominated for best actor in his role as Joe but he got robbed and didn't win. I think somebody playing the role of a gay dude won that year instead. But it should have gone to Hanks.
He was brilliant as Joe the Volcano. I heard he went full method actor on that role and threw hot microwaved twizzlers on anyone who made him mad.

The end of captain Phillips when he's basically in shock and getting examined by the female officer is one of the better examples of acting I've ever seen, I get goosebumps when I watch that. Cast Away is one of the movies where when it's on I end up watching the whole thing. Forrest Gump gets progressively worse with time.

Without the hype, it's still a quality film. There are flaws with the plot, but Hanks' performance and entertainment value make up for them tenfold.

Pretty hard to pick between Castaway, Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan. BIG is awesome as well.

Perhaps my favorite non-blockbuster is Road to Perdition. Love him in that movie.
Saving Private Ryan is probably the best film, and Hanks is perfect as John Miller.. but the acting wasn't hard to pull off. He's in the same mode throughout the movie, minus the one scene where they're in the city discussing life before the tanks come.

Cast Away and Gump required versatility on another level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT