ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Golden!

Agree, and not what I'm trying to say. My point is, find a hungry, passionate coach regardless of where he's coaching at right now. Cal's flame has burnt out.
You could be right but I think Cal is suffering from the same fate that Tubby did. He has surrounded himself with a staff of guys who aren't quality coaches. They are taking up space on the bench and contribute nothing to the betterment of the team and players. Cal, because he has ties to most of them, will not let them go and get quality guys so the whole team is suffering because of it. The same thing happened at the end of Tubby's tenure. IMO Cal should just clean out the entire bench except for Ulis and possibly Coach O and get guys who know how to coach.

You could be right but I think Cal is suffering from the same fate that Tubby did. He has surrounded himself with a staff of guys who aren't quality coaches. They are taking up space on the bench and contribute nothing to the betterment of the team and players. Cal, because he has ties to most of them, will not let them go and get quality guys so the whole team is suffering because of it. The same thing happened at the end of Tubby's tenure. IMO Cal should just clean out the entire bench except for Ulis and possibly Coach O and get guys who know how to coach.
You have to let them contribute. Accept suggestions. Delegate some of the defense and offense along with inbounds plays.

I haven’t seen that in Cal

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
You have to let them contribute. Accept suggestions. Delegate some of the defense and offense along with inbounds plays.

I haven’t seen that in Cal
I don't have access to practices to know how much they contribute but I do know with this current staff we have been mediocre for 4 years in a row.

Plus Cal never replaced the void from losing Robic. I feel he was able to keep Cal in-check and did a LOT more on the sidelines during games than what we as fans were privvy to. Look at the decline in development and post-season success after he was off the sidelines.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
The people who don’t trust Mitch Barnhart to hire a coach has suggested Bruce Pearl, Dusty May, Buzz Williams, and now Todd Golden to be the coach.
Please compare their respective records to Cow's putrid performance, with above average talent.

Kentucky is 2-8 in their last 10 postseason games (counting SEC tourney games), and UK was favored in every single one of them.

2019 vs. Auburn: 0-1
2021 vs. Mississippi State: 0-2
2022 vs. Vanderbilt: 1-2
2022: vs. Tennessee: 1-3
2022 vs. St. Peter's: 1-4
2023: vs. Vanderbilt: 1-5
2023: vs. Providence: 2-5
2023: vs. Kansas State: 2-6
2024: vs. Texas A&M: 2-7
2024: vs. Oakland: 2-8

Why would anyone trust Cow to be the coach?

Reactions: KFuqua
Please compare their respective records to Cow's putrid performance, with above average talent.

Kentucky is 2-8 in their last 10 postseason games (counting SEC tourney games), and UK was favored in every single one of them.

2019 vs. Auburn: 0-1
2021 vs. Mississippi State: 0-2
2022 vs. Vanderbilt: 1-2
2022: vs. Tennessee: 1-3
2022 vs. St. Peter's: 1-4
2023: vs. Vanderbilt: 1-5
2023: vs. Providence: 2-5
2023: vs. Kansas State: 2-6
2024: vs. Texas A&M: 2-7
2024: vs. Oakland: 2-8

Why would anyone trust Cow to be the coach?
What does Cal have to do with Todd Golden being unqualified to be our coach? This thread isn’t about Cal, it’s about Cal’s hypothetical replacement. I know y’all are obsessed but Cal is irrelevant to this conversation.

The staff aside from Coleman are CAL’s guys and yes men. They can all Coach but CAL micromanages everything. Coleman and Cal have had more than a few heated battles on the sidelines because he isn’t one.

Great? Seriously? Why not Tyler Ulis if we’re hiring unqualified coaches?
Golden is a head coach at Florida and is young and hungry and before that at San Fran he has experience running a program and building a roster. Let’s catch lighting in a bottle. He may be the next Pitino Self or Few. Ulis is an assistant early in his career, he may get there one day but today isn’t qualified to be a HC for any program let alone KY.

One thing I do know, if I was an AD and had to choose between Golden or Scheyer I would take Golden all day and twice on Sunday. At least his players and team improves from the start of the season to the end of the season. The same can't be said about Scheyers teams so far.
Idk man the blue devils look sharp right now.

Idk man the blue devils look sharp right now.
I will hold my judgement about how sharp they look when the play a good team. Beating a 12 & 13 seed and especially when you are hot and hit 50% of your 3 point shots isn't the best barometer of how good they are IMO.

Rupp started when he was 28. But he was forced out 😆
At the time Rupp was "forced out", he had reached the Ky. mandatory retirement age of 70. The mandatory retirement age requirement was modified in 1978 to allow some positions to go beyond the age of 70. GO CATS!!

Reactions: JC CATS
What does Cal have to do with Todd Golden being unqualified to be our coach? This thread isn’t about Cal, it’s about Cal’s hypothetical replacement. I know y’all are obsessed but Cal is irrelevant to this conversation.
Just some context before we go about attacking other potential candidates. None of those guys may not be the best pick, but they are all more "qualified" right now than who is sitting in that seat FWIW. If anyone is obsessed it is because we are watching our current coach burning our beloved, storied program to the ground.

Just some context before we go about attacking other potential candidates. None of those guys may not be the best pick, but they are all more "qualified" right now than who is sitting in that seat FWIW. If anyone is obsessed it is because we are watching our current coach burning our beloved, storied program to the ground.
So more qualified than someone you think is awful is the standard? We should sign some mediocre coach and be hitched to him for the next 5 years because he isn’t Cal?

Y’all’s hatred of Cal has warped your brains. You don’t go and hire just anyone because you don’t like Cal. The coach still needs to be qualified and meet the standards of UK basketball. Seems like Cal hatred is the only thing that matters to you guys.

I truly hate to fall in the category of "anybody but Cal", but unless we score a true homerun, there have been several other coaches (along with Golden) suggested that I feel would be excellent at UK. Yes, I can see the value in hiring an up-and-comer like Golden given his coaching abilities but will he be able to tolerate the pressure cooker known as Kentucky Basketball?

Reactions: ala_kat2
At the time Rupp was "forced out", he had reached the Ky. mandatory retirement age of 70. The mandatory retirement age requirement was modified in 1978 to allow some positions to go beyond the age of 70. GO CATS!!
Yeah I know. I hated that rule, but I hated it for Joe B Hall even more. Rupp kept an office in Memorial, he kept a TV show that was on when Halls was. Can you imagine the pressure on Joe B

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Todd Golden could be great at the right place. At Florida he has a risk of being the next Mike White. Golden needs a huge run and an opportunity to go to a better program.

I don't think he is ready for the melting pot that is UK but I was at the SEC tournament and I came away impressed with this young coach. I would be inclined to bring in a more seasoned coach, or at least one that has proven himself more on the big stage. But this guy has the tools to be an exceptional coach.
I think he can grow into another Pitino or Calipari. I like his coaching.

I like him now for the job

Reactions: OleBluCatz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT