ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Golden!

According to who? You?
Yes. Did I state an opinion? Golden has gone to the tournament twice in his career. Tubby made the Sweet 16 twice with shitty programs and was a part of the Pitino coaching tree. So, yes he was more qualified according to me.

Reactions: mattrudd
Neither had Joe B or Tubby
Yeah, Joe B was a natural fit as an assistant and Smith was the flavor of the month while at Georgia and a former assistant to Pitino. In my opinion, both very different than where Golden is and has been in his career.

Yes. Did I state an opinion? Golden has gone to the tournament twice in his career. Tubby made the Sweet 16 twice with shitty programs and was a part of the Pitino coaching tree. So, yes he was more qualified according to me.
Georgia and Tulsa were not that bad back then. Self coached at Tulsa.

Think Tubby coached at UK one or maybe 2 years before leaving. Golden was at San Francisco and now Florida. He's 38. We'll see how things shake out.

Yeah, Joe B was a natural fit as an assistant and Smith was the flavor of the month while at Georgia and a former assistant to Pitino. In my opinion, both very different than where Golden is and has been in his career.
The man who built the program had done nothing accomplishment wise.

You guys are thinking Pat Riley ir Red Auerbach are showing up. Your credentials are a liitle askew.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Think Tubby coached at UK one or maybe 2 years before leaving. Golden was at San Francisco and now Florida. He's 38. We'll see how things shake out.
Georgia was not good then. Georgia didn't go to the tournament for 5 years before tubby got them there. Took them another 4 after he left. Tubby coached at Tulsa before Self and Self just built on what Tubby built.

Golden might get there but we shouldn't downplay Tubby or Joe B Hall to try and prop him up.

Have great respect for Tubby and his on floor coaching, but he didn't recruit well. He was not a good "used car salesman". But boy he could have won that game.

Tubby was a really smart hire at the time. It wasn't super popular but because he'd been here he knew what he was getting himself into. He had a decent stable to work with in year 1.

A lot of folks have FF and NC requirements which I personally find a bit silly. I would like to see a bit more out of Golden and Lloyd....I am almost there with Lloyd.

I've advocated for something which almost certainly won't happen, Pitino...only because I think it would ignite and unite the largest portion of our fanbase (35 y/o +). He could prove as a stop gap for a few years before selecting the next long term seat.

My concern now is that beside a few whales I am not sold 100% on some of these guys and a BCG level misstep in this era is how you become Indiana, especially considering our results over the past 5 years.

In reality it we will not go the aforementioned route (highly unlikely if Mitch is still AD), Scott Drew is safest bet IMHO. It isn't an exciting hire but would probably be the "right" one to stabilize this place.

I would take Todd Golden right now. Young, 38 year old coach that plays an exciting style of ball!
Wasn't Pitino 37 when he took over here? Just asking, cause I don't remember and don't feel like researching
🤣🤣🤣.

The man who built the program had done nothing accomplishment wise.

You guys are thinking Pat Riley ir Red Auerbach are showing up. Your credentials are a liitle askew.

There are better options. If they turn us down we move down the line to the younger crowd.

I don't think he is ready for the melting pot that is UK but I was at the SEC tournament and I came away impressed with this young coach. I would be inclined to bring in a more seasoned coach, or at least one that has proven himself more on the big stage. But this guy has the tools to be an exceptional coach.
Rupp started when he was 28. But he was forced out 😆

There are better options. If they turn us down we move down the line to the younger crowd.
My calls would be to Oats, Lloyd, Beard, and so on.

Beard is likely the most possible imo. He ain't staying at Ole Miss if UK calls. Yes, I know his past.

Think Lloyd os the youngest, but I think he’s a west coast guy.

Out of those three, Oats would be my first pick.

Georgia was not good then. Georgia didn't go to the tournament for 5 years before tubby got them there. Took them another 4 after he left. Tubby coached at Tulsa before Self and Self just built on what Tubby built.

Golden might get there but we shouldn't downplay Tubby or Joe B Hall to try and prop him up.
Agree, and not what I'm trying to say. My point is, find a hungry, passionate coach regardless of where he's coaching at right now. Cal's flame has burnt out.

How dare he not advance past the 1st Round at age 38 and playing short handed without their starting center! That man has a bright future ahead of him. Got to the NIT in year 1 and NCAA Tournament in year two, both one season quicker than Billy Donovan did.

Last edited:
Happy Surprise GIF by Kev Lavery

The people who don’t trust Mitch Barnhart to hire a coach has suggested Bruce Pearl, Dusty May, Buzz Williams, and now Todd Golden to be the coach.

The people who don’t trust Mitch Barnhart to hire a coach has suggested Bruce Pearl, Dusty May, Buzz Williams, and now Todd Golden to be the coach.
I think there is a lot of upside with Todd Golden. And it would be nice if we could identify a future star BEFORE he wins his national championship at another school. There’s some risk there though, no doubt about that. I agree on the other three you mentioned. I have zero interest in any of them.

According to who? You?
According to anyone with a brain. Tubby went to 3 straight Sweet 16’s at Georgia and Tulsa, Todd Golden has never won an NCAA Tournament game. Since when is a guy who hasn’t even won an NCAA Tournament game qualified to coach UK?

I think there is a lot of upside with Todd Golden. And it would be nice if we could identify a future star BEFORE he wins his national championship at another school. There’s some risk there though, no doubt about that. I agree on the other three you mentioned. I have zero interest in any of them.
Maybe but this is Kentucky, you don’t just take fliers on unproven coaches and hope. Kentucky football can do that, Kentucky basketball cannot. Kentucky Football can hire Mark Stoops, Alabama football could not.

I want to be rid of Cal as much as anyone. It became apparent years ago that we were no longer the University of Kentucky years ago and had transformed to the University of Cal, and such a situation would end in disaster.

The catch is, there isn't a white knight out there, at least that we can all agree on, that's going to come to our rescue. Most of us would agree on Hurley or Donovan, and maybe those are worth a phone call, but I would bet against g them coming here. After that, the list gets really thin, really fast. Everyone I see listed has MAJOR flaws, that would make them largely unacceptable,

I like Golden. He radiates a positive energy that after Cal very much resonates with me and I would guess our fan base. He isn't running around on the sidelines like a maniac, he seems to have a great relationship with his players. Florida folded a bit at the end of the year, but to he fair, he did lose one of his most important players to a horrific accident during the SEC tournament. Had that not happened, Florida looked very competitive. Anyone we bring is going to be very much a gamble, I would gamble on Golden.

Last edited:
Tulsa was actually a pretty good job back in the day. As a member of the MVC and the WAC they were sort of a big fish in a small pond. In a 20 year period Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self all coached there. It was a job you could take to propel a career.

Reactions: Cawood86
Maybe but this is Kentucky, you don’t just take fliers on unproven coaches and hope. Kentucky football can do that, Kentucky basketball cannot. Kentucky Football can hire Mark Stoops, Alabama football could not.
I hear what you’re saying and you’re not wrong. It’s just that right now I don’t see a Nick Saban out there for Kentucky basketball to hire. Hell, I don’t even see a Kalen DeBoer right now. I haven’t heard a name yet that I’d totally consider “safe”.

According to anyone with a brain. Tubby went to 3 straight Sweet 16’s at Georgia and Tulsa, Todd Golden has never won an NCAA Tournament game. Since when is a guy who hasn’t even won an NCAA Tournament game qualified to coach UK?
I can tell you of 2 right now. Rupp and Joe B Hall.

Tulsa was actually a pretty good job back in the day. As a member of the MVC and the WAC they were sort of a big fish in a small pond. In a 20 year period Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self all coached there. It was a job you could take to propel a career.
Yes sir. It truly was.

Reactions: gojvc
Adolph F. Rupp was a high school coach
Things have changed a bit in the last 94 years since we hired Rupp. We are a blue blood program now and blue blood programs don’t hire High High chool coaches. Blueblood programs
I can tell you of 2 right now. Rupp and Joe B Hall.
So hiring a HS coach would be cool with you? Maybe we should hire Tyler Ulis if we’re going the. unproven coach route.

Things have changed a bit in the last 94 years since we hired Rupp. We are a blue blood program now and blue blood programs don’t hire High High chool coaches. Blueblood programs
So hiring a HS coach would be cool with you? Maybe we should hire Tyler Ulis if we’re going the. unproven coach route.
Of course not but I think dismissing anybody for anything based on age is wrong

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT