ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Mike Woodson's recruiting?

Sep 18, 2005
Just landed 5 start Liam McNeeley. Woodson now has 5 of Indiana's 10 highest recruits since 2003 and I believe 3 straight 5 star commits. Beat out Kansas for the last 2 and up next Boogie Fland is down to Kentucky and IU.

Idk if they will be improved when the series restarts, but they will have more talent on their roster than previously.

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Thoughts? Indiana has made it past the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament ONCE since 1993 -- the year the FIRST George Bush was leaving office -- more than 30 years ago. In more than 36 years Indiana hasn't won anything -- an NCAA tournament, nor even a Big Ten Tournament.

They've had good recruits before during this period of mediocrity and ineptitude. Nothing suggests getting a few now, to play for a coach in Woodson who has done nothing at the college level, will change anything.

By the way, virtually all of your posts since 2005 have been about Indiana. When you say "they" don't you really mean "we?" I know being a Hoosier fan has been rather embarrassing for the past three decades or so, but you should not post under a false flag.

Last edited:
Just landed 5 start Liam McNeeley. Woodson now has 5 of Indiana's 10 highest recruits since 2003 and I believe 3 straight 5 star commits. Beat out Kansas for the last 2 and up next Boogie Fland is down to Kentucky and IU.

Idk if they will be improved when the series restarts, but they will have more talent on their roster than previously.
wat GIF

No that was just your sister.
You sound like you are 12.

Of course you could be any age up to FIFTY and still have very little memory of Indiana ever being elite -- or even relevant -- in college basketball. Wow. A full lifetime for most fans with nothing but incompetence, failure, the ugly embarrassment of program icon the bully Bobby Knight being chased off for abusing players and fans, the NCAA sanction of the early 2000s, one wasted year after another... No wonder the Hoosier fans mostly behave like abused children who were locked in a room for many years and now want to lash out.

Woodson is definitely exceeding expectations when it comes to recruiting. Many said he would really struggle in this area because he is older and hasn't been recruiting college kids, coming from more of an NBA background.

Let's see how it translates on the court.

McNeeley is a nice get. Will be a solid class if they pull in a couple other big names. Not sure if that's enough top-end talent to make any noise though. Frankly, Woodson seems like a decent coach but he hasn't made a big enough splash so far. 1st and 2nd round exits so far I believe.

Looks like we have a few IU fans on the board these days......

I thought I smelled rotten fish.......that explains it.

Listen, they FINALLY got the game they wanted.

And judging by their posts on here, some of them have been waiting their whole life for that game.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Glass house BBN. Woodson has made 2 consecutive NCAA tournaments. What have we done during the same timeframe that's so much better?
Not a good look to punch down but even worse to not realize their within arms reach lately. Time for some accomplishments this decade before we make jokes.

Reactions: westerncat
Glass house BBN. Woodson has made 2 consecutive NCAA tournaments. What have we done during the same timeframe that's so much better?
Not a good look to punch down but even worse to not realize their within arms reach lately. Time for some accomplishments this decade before we make jokes.

I mean…we punch at ourselves over the last several years too. But IU hasn’t just been irrelevant the last few years. It’s been for the better part of 3 decades now.

Ridiculous to compare the two programs.

Wow guys, yah I am a Hoosier fan and I was just curious what some outsiders thoughts were on his recruiting since it's such a different approach than our previous head coaches.

Didn't realize that was something that could trigger some people so easily.

• Haha
Here you go OP:

I approve of you. I validate you. You are awesome and doggone it people like you. Heck, I'd probably like to take a long walk on the beach with you. You probably look young for your age and have a well-kept lawn.

From your initial post I gather you are someone of substance, likely a man of great sophistication. You've seen and done things most of us can't even imagine. You've obviously been to the edge. You've stood and looked down. I bet you lost a lot of friends there, ain't got no time to mess around.

It's great to have you here. You make all of us better people, and I for one am glad to know you.

Here you go OP:

I approve of you. I validate you. You are awesome and doggone it people like you. Heck, I'd probably like to take a long walk on the beach with you. You probably look young for your age and have a well-kept lawn.

From your initial post I gather you are someone of substance, likely a man of great sophistication. You've seen and done things most of us can't even imagine. You've obviously been to the edge. You've stood and looked down. I bet you lost a lot of friends there, ain't got no time to mess around.

It's great to have you here. You make all of us better people, and I for one am glad to know you.

I think you just impregnated me.

I mean…we punch at ourselves over the last several years too. But IU hasn’t just been irrelevant the last few years. It’s been for the better part of 3 decades now.
I get it. IU has been irrelevant and the fanbase is detestable but with the series renewed it'll be a contested rivalry game. The last time we met things didn't go in our favor and to add salt to the wound it was a NCAA tournament game.
Fact of the matter is UK needs to step it up against power 5 opponents and other traditional powerhouse programs. Our record doesn't live up to standard the last 5-6 years.

He's definitely an upgrade over everyone post Knight except maybe Davis. That guy got a runner up somehow. He's also a lot more tolerable than any coach IU had ever had in my lifetime.

Indiana is clearly on the rise under Woodson: In the preseason AP Poll they were in the "also receiving votes" category with 3 votes. That's better than they finished most of the past 35 years.

AP voters have them ahead of Drake. I didn't even know Drake had started a college but it is off to a rocky start if it doesn't rank higher than the Hoosiers.

Last edited:

Punching down at IU is too fun to give up.

Thoughts? Indiana has made it past the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament ONCE since 1993 -- the year the FIRST George Bush was leaving office -- more than 30 years ago. In more than 36 years Indiana hasn't won anything -- an NCAA tournament, nor even a Big Ten Tournament.

They've had good recruits before during this period of mediocrity and ineptitude. Nothing suggests getting a few now, to play for a coach in Woodson who has done nothing at the college level, will change anything.

By the way, virtually all of your posts since 2005 have been about Indiana. When you say "they" don't you really mean "we?" I know being a Hoosier fan has been rather embarrassing for the past three decades or so, but you should not post under a false flag.
That arose from holding on to Knight after his sell-by date. Some of us see UK doing the same thing. I realize you're not one of them

By all means.

We can always use an extra punching bag.
You guys have offered the college basketball universe a punching bag since 1987.

I've always wondered how you guys have managed to cope since then.

You haven't been relevant since Ronald Raegan was president. In all seriousness, that has to be difficult for you guys, right?

You guys have offered the college basketball universe a punching bag since 1987.

I've always wondered how you guys have managed to cope since then.

You haven't been relevant since Ronald Raegan was president. In all seriousness, that has to be difficult for you guys, right?
Cope? This old timer has seen plenty of good basketball in his day.

Just saw Richie’s comments and they were too good to pass up.

Enjoy your season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT