ADVERTISEMENT

Thought on how to reduce length of baseball games

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
I know this topic keeps resurfacing, but how about this:

Limit the number of pitching changes to 2 per inning. In other words, if the guy who starts the inning gets taken out, you can only make one more pitching change that inning. On the 2nd change, that pitcher has to stay in to get the 3rd out, no matter how many runs the opponent scores.

For one, it would definitely keep managers from strolling out to the mound to change pitchers every batter, and might cause them to hesitate to even bring in any reliever, because if you go to reliever no. 2, you better be damn sure he can get the final out . . . because he is in there for the duration.

I don't think that really destroys the integrity of the game at all, managers could still use multiple pitchers per game, just not 4 or 5 in the same inning.

I think the pitch clock the the SEC experimented with a few years ago and is currently being used in minor league baseball is helpful. If the pitcher doesn't throw in 20 seconds, he is charged with a ball. Apparently, MLB tried to implement it this season, but the $%&#% union blocked it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_clock

I know this topic keeps resurfacing, but how about this:

Limit the number of pitching changes to 2 per inning. In other words, if the guy who starts the inning gets taken out, you can only make one more pitching change that inning. On the 2nd change, that pitcher has to stay in to get the 3rd out, no matter how many runs the opponent scores.

For one, it would definitely keep managers from strolling out to the mound to change pitchers every batter, and might cause them to hesitate to even bring in any reliever, because if you go to reliever no. 2, you better be damn sure he can get the final out . . . because he is in there for the duration.

I don't think that really destroys the integrity of the game at all, managers could still use multiple pitchers per game, just not 4 or 5 in the same inning.
I personally think it's the needless time the pitchers , and especially the batters waste between pitches...it's ridiculous for guy to tighten up the straps on his batting gloves after ever pitch and another 6-8 seconds to get the sign from the coach...

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluegrog
I personally think it's the needless time the pitchers , aand especially the batters waste between pitches...it's ridiculous for guy to tighten up the straps on his batting gloves after ever pitch and another 6-8 seconds to get the sign from the coach...

So you think the pitch clock is a good idea?

So you think the pitch clock is a good idea?

I definitely do, there was an article on the NYY vs. Boston game a couple of Sunday nights ago that lasted 4 hours, Price and Tanaka, I think, were taking around 40-45 seconds between pitches. The pace of play is just brutal, has to be sped up one way or the other.

For college games here are some thoughts:
Adopt some of the HS rules. Running for the catcher if he gets on base with 2 outs. Run rules, 10 after 7, 8 after 8. Eliminate the pitches on intentional walks.

Keep the batter in the box if there are no runners on base and limit the amount of time the catchers can go out to the mound to talk to the pitcher. Limit number of foul balls to 4 or 5 before it is considered a strikeout.

I think the pitch clock the the SEC experimented with a few years ago and is currently being used in minor league baseball is helpful. If the pitcher doesn't throw in 20 seconds, he is charged with a ball. Apparently, MLB tried to implement it this season, but the $%&#% union blocked it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_clock
Pitch clock would make a big difference. Went to a minor league game in the spring, only lasted 2 hours. Mind you it was a pitcher's dual with the winning team only scoring 3 runs, but the refs were pretty loose with enforcing the clock. Looked like they were basically only going to enforce it when the pitcher was belligerently ignoring it.

For college games here are some thoughts:
Adopt some of the HS rules. Running for the catcher if he gets on base with 2 outs. Run rules, 10 after 7, 8 after 8. Eliminate the pitches on intentional walks.

Keep the batter in the box if there are no runners on base and limit the amount of time the catchers can go out to the mound to talk to the pitcher. Limit number of foul balls to 4 or 5 before it is considered a strikeout.
Don't like the run rule...as Yogi said "it ain't over till it's over"..also don't like the foul ball idea...it's baseball and outs should be earned.

Don't think the pitchers are as much to blame as the hitters.

Don't like the run rule...as Yogi said "it ain't over till it's over"..also don't like the foul ball idea...it's baseball and outs should be earned.
I don't either but there are only so many ways to speed up a game so I was doing a little out-of-the-box thinking for discussion purposes.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
If anything, reduce the # of games - and if you do this, you could probably cut a few roster spots (which in turn may naturally change all of the multi-multi pitching change innings)...but I like the game as is...most suggestions alter the actual game too much.

If anything, reduce the # of games - and if you do this, you could probably cut a few roster spots (which in turn may naturally change all of the multi-multi pitching change innings)...but I like the game as is...most suggestions alter the actual game too much.
lol that isn't happening. More games = more money for owners. Fewer roster spots = less money for players.

Doubt it will happen - but would improve the product.

Some of these day games you see around the league have to be played at a loss - and fewer big league spots doesn't necessarily mean fewer players in the organization...and even so, fewer players could put a premium on the guys who are actually on the big league club.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT