ADVERTISEMENT

This is it

The chemistry is there, the talent, the scoring, the defense, etc…. It’s all a there for a chance at number 9. I know it’s July but we have the recipe to cut down the net come March. I shouldn’t get my hopes up like this but man this just feels different.
We're missing two players.

Factor in UK being “due” and the championship this season coming in an even numbered yr where UK has won 6 of their 8 titles; including the last 5 straight and we may be seeing a perfect storm brewing in Lexington,Ky!.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I agree..BUT. We've seen this movie before..last year we were DOMINANT in the Bahamas..then couldn't win a game against a legit team until we beat Tennessee midway through the season. I'm going to be very cautiously optimistic. But this team does have a different vibe I'll give you that.

I agree that this team does just has a different feel about it. It seems they have an enthusiasm that effects everyone who gets on the floor. That has been missing the last few years. Call it chemistry or what ever, but it seems different and is showing up in Cal as well. Before these games I was very pessimistic about this team's ability. But something is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: susan2361
I'm not going to make any judgment until SEC play.... UK typically dominates these summer tournaments.

But I do agree they seem to have good chemistry... it's going to come down to if our defense improves and if our centers can be at least average.

It feels different at the beginning of every year. But then at the end of every season, it feels exactly the same.

Yes, I know...I'm cynical, overly negative, pessimistic and miserable. I'm also depressed. It's been a tough few years.
you have the right to feel like that. I tried to build a wall but dang July games got me believing once again.

I agree that this team does just have a different feel about it. It seems they have an enthusiasm that effects everyone who gets on the floor. That has been missing the last few years. Call it chemistry or what ever, but it seems different and is showing up in Cal as well. Before these games I was very pessimistic about this team's ability. But something is different.
I feel the same way, can't wait to see what this group does in November

Reactions: downthehatch
It feels different at the beginning of every year. But then at the end of every season, it feels exactly the same.

Yes, I know...I'm cynical, overly negative, pessimistic and miserable. I'm also depressed. It's been a tough few years.
Same. We looked like world beaters last year in the Bahamas, and even back in 2018 looked amazing, then the seasons started and the team looked completely different. Now, the 18-19 team turned out to be pretty good but early in the season looked like garbage, and we all know how last year turned out.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Same. We looked like world beaters last year in the Bahamas, and even back in 2018 looked amazing, then the seasons started and the team looked completely different. Now, the 18-19 team turned out to be pretty good but early in the season looked like garbage, and we all know how last year turned out.
I was never sold on our roster last year. We could discuss flaws until cows come home. This team feels different.

This team is different. We got Reed Shepherd wearing dad jersey around. That has to resonate with the team.

I felt that Pitino blew a chance at a NC when he didn’t put a defender on Grant Hill inbounding the ball against Duke. He always did afterward. Pull it out Cal has never learned, the old sphincter tightens up, cuts off blood to his brain and we get a repeat.
So, you are saying Pitino failed more times than not, right? And he has been owned more times by Cal than almost any other coach. Your defense of Pitino is what you felt like he would do after the fact, but truth was he just cheated and got the other championship he won vacated. Sure sounds like his sphincter got tight and cut off the blood to his brain to cause him to feel the need to cheat to win.

Any actual coaches who haven't failed to win it all more times than not?

The chemistry is there, the talent, the scoring, the defense, etc…. It’s all a there for a chance at number 9. I know it’s July but we have the recipe to cut down the net come March. I shouldn’t get my hopes up like this but man this just feels different.
Dude are you high

We destroyed the Bahamas teams last year, then ground to a halt when the season started.

Hot take: I don’t think Bradshaw will be that great this season (tons of long term upside but average freshman year) and I’m almost hoping he doesn’t play bc I don’t want him to play the 4 and us start trying to feed the game through him bc that’s what Klutch and his camp expects. AB and Ugo back means they’ll play together and Cal will be tempted to play his more traditional style that we’ve watched over the years.

We have a lot of skilled guys at the 1-4, long/big guards (this helps w playing a smaller front court bc overall team size is still good), pair all that with Ugo getting 15-25 min a game as a rim protector or matchup dependent and we can play a fast, aggressive style and 90% of teams won’t be able to keep up w that much explosiveness and skill at the 1-5 offensively over the course of a game. A 10 point win is a 10 point win whether it’s 90-80 or 65-55. Cal likes the lower scoring games bc he’s overly defensive minded and like frontcourt size to defend the paint and rim. If he can accept that you can be equally as effective by maintaining offensive pressure on a team combined with an emphasis to use speed to defend passing lanes and ball pressure instead of “funnel to the rim and challenge the shot” defense…then we can be really good this year. By far the most team skill since 2017 and maybe 2015 from a depth and versatility standpoint combined w a lot of skill oriented guys w good length.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT