ADVERTISEMENT

This Could Have All Been Avoided

One thing I'll say, is that Kentucky didn't really have a "path" open up for them to win in 2014. All these recent years where we got lucky with the bracket opening up.. we really didn't get any of in the first 5-6 seasons. It seems Kentucky always wound up facing the better of the teams in our bracket, aside from a few exceptions.

2014 saw us play the 9-seed, 1-seed, 4-seed, 2-seed, 2-seed.. before losing to the 7th seed Uconn. Really those first 5 games, Kentucky didn't have any sort of easy path to get to the title game. Same with 2011. Only the final game was "easier" based on seed.. but in both of those years, Uconn proved to be the apparent best team in March,
Let’s not forget we were without WCS for that game. Could have used his size and athleticism.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yes.

There's a group of fans on this board that want Cal gone more for non-basketball reasons than basketball reasons. And there are posters currently banned who have said as much, hate Calipari on a personal level, and have admitted even if he won multiple titles in a row they would still want him gone.
I want him gone and it's got everything to do with his handling of the basketball program and lack of...
All that kneeling bullshit or what his politics is means nothing to me.I could care less what political group he is,politicians are assholes that think they know what's best for you...I don't buy their shit.

I know ifs and buts, but let us look at how things could have been viewed differently.

2010-An elite team with super elite players. Yes we shot poorly against WVU but you cannot convince with with Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe that we should not have cut down the nets. Yes outside shooting was a weakness, but man we had legit superstars.

2011-path opened up to where we could have won the title.

2012-success, Championship.

2014-again a path opened up. Had all the pieces and a legit stud in Randel.

2015-To me this is the turning point. So much talent and legit superstars. I think the loss destroyed Cal and much of the fanbase. I'll never get over it. Ever. Win this title and much equity is built up.

2017-Three legit superstars. Could have won it.

To me those are the real threats to win the title and maybe should have. But you can't win them all. So lets say we win half, like I seriously think we should have won 2 more. They were there for the taking. Do that and Cal is a legend that has so much equity built up that we would not be where we are. I know not one fan in person who is on Cal's side anymore. Not one. I think short of a Final Four next year and the fanbase is done with him completely. It will be to a level of ugly that no one believed would be happening.
2014 we lost WCS right at the F4.
2015 we lost Poythress for the rest of the season.

If we win 2014 maybe we don’t have 2015. If we are one less injury either of those seasons we have at least one more title.

I was worried about Wisconsin most of that season. I remember telling my dad in February of that season that I thought Wisconsin was the only team capable of beating us. I had an awfully bad feeling after we squeaked by Notre Dame and Wisky was up next.
We were the second tallest team in America that year. The only team with more average height was the Portland Trail Blazers. But we weren’t that much taller than Wisconsin. They were experienced, they could score, and they weren’t overwhelmed by our size the way some teams were. I knew we could lose that game.

I'm frustrated with Barnhart

His silence on this tells me he can't do anything about it, so he dare not address it with the fans

Tubby got an 8 seed in the tournament and Barnhart goes to the press talking about how that isn't acceptable at KY, and then makes demands to Tubby.

I'm sure Barnhart has made some comments - but he has yet to my knowledge made any declaration about the season as a whole this year or last. I seem to remember him going on KSR or some equivalent but still, nothing that you could look back on saying he is going to get involved.

I'd like to think the administration knows the fanbase is done and will at least acknowledge it, but nothing.

I think you could make the argument its Joker bad at this point.
Mitch’s silence tells me this is coming from his boss. Remember, Cal and Eli are pretty close. Maybe the whole contract thing was pushed on Mitch more than we realize.

We were the second tallest team in America that year. The only team with more average height was the Portland Trail Blazers. But we weren’t that much taller than Wisconsin. They were experienced, they could score, and they weren’t overwhelmed by our size the way some teams were. I knew we could lose that game.

There was also a mismatch on the wing when Poythress went down. We didn’t have anyone capable of checking Decker and our All-American big man got worked by their big man.

Reactions: gojvc
I know ifs and buts, but let us look at how things could have been viewed differently.

2010-An elite team with super elite players. Yes we shot poorly against WVU but you cannot convince with with Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe that we should not have cut down the nets. Yes outside shooting was a weakness, but man we had legit superstars.

2015-To me this is the turning point. So much talent and legit superstars. I think the loss destroyed Cal and much of the fanbase. I'll never get over it. Ever. Win this title and much equity is built up.

To me those are the real threats to win the title and maybe should have. But you can't win them all. So lets say we win half, like I seriously think we should have won 2 more. They were there for the taking. Do that and Cal is a legend that has so much equity built up that we would not be where we are. I know not one fan in person who is on Cal's side anymore. Not one. I think short of a Final Four next year and the fanbase is done with him completely. It will be to a level of ugly that no one believed would be happening.
My problem with 2010 was WV had no answer for Cousin's yet the last 8 minutes, we jacked up 3's and stopped trying to even get the ball to the big guy. There are several games we lost under Cal over the years where we owned the paint but stopped feeding the paint when we needed a basket, we don't tend to play to our strengths against some teams and it bites the Cats in the butt.

‘15 and ‘17 definitely should have been titles. Those are the two the sting the most, mainly because of the mysterious officiating. Can’t tell me there weren’t outside influences in both games.

Well '11 had Higgins in FF game too. He had that GIF call on baseline...

Every year there are a half dozen teams that can say, "we could have, maybe should have, won the title this year." That's the nature of the tournament.

In 2010, Kansas -- not Kentucky -- was the overall #1 seed with a line-up packed with EXPERIENCED NBA talent. Lost to Northern Iowa.

In 2011, Ohio State was clear and away the best team -- Kentucky beat them. Kansas had a 30 win team. Duke had a 30 win team. North Carolina was a very strong #2 seed. Kentucky beat them as well, as a #4 seed. Then the Cats' shooting went cold against a team with a super-hot guard (who had an excellent NBA career) and a team with better inside players. Oh for Enes Kanter...

In 2012, North Carolina fans still say they deserved the championship but Kendall Marshall got hurt. I say Bullshit, but it has as much validity as Kentucky fans saying the Cats should win it every time UK has a very good team.

In 2014, Florida under tested coach Billy Donovan beat Kentucky THREE TIMES. They lost in the Final Four. Arizona had a 30-win team and Wichita State was undefeated. Kentucky performed remarkably to make the final game -- in which WCS was out injured and Randle was clearly not 100 percent.

In 2015, there were four teams that were heads and shoulders above the others - Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Duke and Kentucky. The draw put Kentucky on a path to have to play all of the other three to win it. The worst possible match-up for Kentucky was Wisconsin. Yeah, the Cats still should have won, but it was a 4.5 point spread at the tip, not a 20 point spread. Teams lose games like that in the tournament every single year.

In 2017, Kentucky was put in the region with the team that was the clear favorite to win it all -UNC--Cheats. Despite one of the worst refereeing screw jobs in history Kentucky was still in position to take that game to OT - then came a lucky shot off a last second scramble. Tournament heart break. Not unique to Kentucky.

This year, Alabama, Houston, Purdue, Kansas, maybe a few others all could make some specious case that with better luck they should have won the title.

I'd say, taken as a whole, Kentucky probably should have won two or even three titles during Calipari's tenure. Injuries, bad refereeing, bad luck, and if you want to believe it bad coaching has so far limited that to one.

That's the nature of a lose and go home tournament. To say Kentucky should have won in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017 is absurd. There were teams -- often multiple teams -- in every single one of those years except 2015 with a greater claim to having fallen short than Kentucky.
But no one's fallen short more than Kentucky and Calipari, and that's the part you keep missing.

If you just added a sentence like that at the end of your statement, it would have added so much credibility to your views as a poster.

Why are constantly reluctant to call out Calipari for his shortcomings?

Seriously.

What's the deal?

But no one's fallen short more than Kentucky and Calipari, and that's the part you keep missing.

If you just added a sentence like that at the end of your statement, it would have added so much credibility to your views as a poster.

Seriously.

What's the deal?

What's beyond insane is that we fail to win a title about 96% of the time no matter who the coach is and we know this before hand. We have the historic info in hand and people still stomp their feet and get bent about it 12 months a year when they already have the answer to the test and know there's only a 4% chance of winning it all. True madness. Imagine being told that 96 times out of 100 you were going to whiff when swinging at a golf ball and then doing it and getting mad about it even though you were told it was going to happen. lol

What's beyond insane is that we fail to win a title about 96% of the time no matter who the coach is and we know this before hand. We have the historic info in hand and people still stomp their feet and get bent about it 12 months a year when they already have the answer to the test and know there's only a 4% chance of winning it all. True madness. Imagine being told that 96 times out of 100 you were going to whiff when swinging at a golf ball and then doing it and getting mad about it even though you were told it was going to happen. lol
You're not even a real poster, so your posts just look like this to me:
giphy.gif

Just so you know for the next time you quote me and expect me to actually read your caricature drivel.

You're not even a real poster, so your posts just look like this to me:
giphy.gif

Just so you know for the next time you quote me and expect me to actually read your caricature drivel.

I've been to more UK national titles in person than you, so my fandom dwarfs yours and I've put my money where my mouth is. Sorry the factual truth must be ignored. Have fun knashing teeth.

If o
Every year there are a half dozen teams that can say, "we could have, maybe should have, won the title this year." That's the nature of the tournament.

In 2010, Kansas -- not Kentucky -- was the overall #1 seed with a line-up packed with EXPERIENCED NBA talent. Lost to Northern Iowa.

In 2011, Ohio State was clear and away the best team -- Kentucky beat them. Kansas had a 30 win team. Duke had a 30 win team. North Carolina was a very strong #2 seed. Kentucky beat them as well, as a #4 seed. Then the Cats' shooting went cold against a team with a super-hot guard (who had an excellent NBA career) and a team with better inside players. Oh for Enes Kanter...

In 2012, North Carolina fans still say they deserved the championship but Kendall Marshall got hurt. I say Bullshit, but it has as much validity as Kentucky fans saying the Cats should win it every time UK has a very good team.

In 2014, Florida under tested coach Billy Donovan beat Kentucky THREE TIMES. They lost in the Final Four. Arizona had a 30-win team and Wichita State was undefeated. Kentucky performed remarkably to make the final game -- in which WCS was out injured and Randle was clearly not 100 percent.

In 2015, there were four teams that were heads and shoulders above the others - Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Duke and Kentucky. The draw put Kentucky on a path to have to play all of the other three to win it. The worst possible match-up for Kentucky was Wisconsin. Yeah, the Cats still should have won, but it was a 4.5 point spread at the tip, not a 20 point spread. Teams lose games like that in the tournament every single year.

In 2017, Kentucky was put in the region with the team that was the clear favorite to win it all -UNC--Cheats. Despite one of the worst refereeing screw jobs in history Kentucky was still in position to take that game to OT - then came a lucky shot off a last second scramble. Tournament heart break. Not unique to Kentucky.

This year, Alabama, Houston, Purdue, Kansas, maybe a few others all could make some specious case that with better luck they should have won the title.

I'd say, taken as a whole, Kentucky probably should have won two or even three titles during Calipari's tenure. Injuries, bad refereeing, bad luck, and if you want to believe it bad coaching has so far limited that to one.

That's the nature of a lose and go home tournament. To say Kentucky should have won in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017 is absurd. There were teams -- often multiple teams -- in every single one of those years except 2015 with a greater claim to having fallen short than Kentucky.
Wasn’t so hard for Uconn, Villanova, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Florida

I used to think all those years were **almost** cases. Situations where we would really have won it or at least really could have won it except for some unlikely bounces or a ref screwed us.

The more perspective I get on it all, the more I think Calipari’s whole approach to team basketball is just a dog that won’t hunt. Yeah he can craft a superstar out of a star who’s wired the right way and yeah his teams can show some flare here and there and yeah he can even do some fine coaching occasionally….
…..But building a team that can win six games starting late March and then actually taking the reins of that team and winning six games starting late March with it: it’s just not his thing. In fact it’s so much the opposite of his thing that it’s actually the times he seems to have a real shot at a title that are themselves the dumb luck and the unlikely bounces.

Anthony Davis and Michael-Kidd Gilchrist and sophomore Doron Lamb and sophomore Terrance Jones and senior Darius Miller were just a little too much for even Cal to overcome…….at least they were as long as Kendall Marshall was sitting down with a broken wrist.

I will give you that if we really had won titles in ‘10, ‘11, ‘14, ‘15, and’17 then history would have looked at John Calipari very very very very differently. But though once upon a time I would have agreed with you completely, now I really don’t think there is any nonzero chance at all that he ever could have won all those titles or even half of them without an awful lot of dirty money changing hands, no matter how many lucky bounces came his way. Just not the guy and not the system, not even before modern offenses started exposing him more.

…. And while it’s also true that the more of those early near-miss titles he really would have won, the more recruiting boost he would have gotten and so there ought to have been a resulting snowball effect———the more real-world data I get, the more I wind up thinking that even recruiting boosts wouldn’t have really led to compounded titles…..just compounded roster mismanagement.

Oz looked Great And Terrible to be sure…..but the only guy we ever really had coaching since ‘09 was the man behind the green curtain.

Last edited:
My problem with 2010 was WV had no answer for Cousin's yet the last 8 minutes, we jacked up 3's and stopped trying to even get the ball to the big guy. There are several games we lost under Cal over the years where we owned the paint but stopped feeding the paint when we needed a basket, we don't tend to play to our strengths against some teams and it bites the Cats in the butt.
Agree. I would have like to see us post us the KState guard with Wallace more. I think we did maybe once. Cal is awful at exploiting the other team.

Agree with Doc. There never was a relationship with the fans. Granted, a few got their claws stuck in his (hair), but mostly he just told us how it was, was gonna be, and for us to accept and like it. I’ve mentioned it many times on here, it never registered. His acceptance speech. Well,we’re seeing the results. Careful what you wish for.

Seriously.

What's the deal?
“You just hate Cal”

There excuses are the same: Refs and injuries. Because other teams don’t deal with these problems… apparently

Last edited:

Duh, the fan base had been done with him for years...just read the message board.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

We won in 12 and should’ve won in 2010 and 2015 for sure.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
It died with the rooferee screwed us in 2015 and 2017. It hasn't been the same since.

You can't have expected UK to win all of those years but it is crushing that they did not get at least one more. Absolutely should have one, probably two more, at least. Wouldn't change the struggles of the past few seasons but it would certainly make things look a bit different overall.
You know what? Yes it would have changed the 9-16, losing to at peters, Evansville. Those things wouldn’t have happened if cal had delivered when he had the chances. His awful coaching has an impact on recruiting and getting those players from the portal. If we win in 2015 then we end up bringing in more in 2016 and 2017 because Cals template would have been looked at with success. Even if we had won 2014 and 2015 undefeateds lost people would be talking about how great a coach cal is and players would want to play for him like they did ratface. So this downturn in my opinion would have happened but probably have been minor if we had even one more title

Seriously.

What's the deal?

MD is a good poster and gets blasted because people don't agree with them. JMHO.

Other than the 2017 team, I haven’t been excited to watch any of the teams since 2015.

2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 have all been below average for Kentucky. That’s a long stretch of mediocre or less performance for us.

These years also coincide with the rise of injuries that never heal, players that quit or refuse to play. Lots of issues with chemistry.

We’ve seen unbalanced rosters. Teams that can’t shoot or get guys open.

Maybe two more titles earlier would have helped me to feel better about this run of down years. Maybe if Cal had a few more titles, he would have been content to move on and retire.

‘15 and ‘17 definitely should have been titles. Those are the two the sting the most, mainly because of the mysterious officiating. Can’t tell me there weren’t outside influences in both games.

Well '11 had Higgins in FF game too. He had that GIF call on baseline...
I truly believe we would have won all three of those games in 2011, 2015 and 2017 had Higgins not been on the whistle. Perhaps even 2005. (And who knows what effect he had on the outcome of 2010, as our matchup vs Cornell was far closer than it should’ve been. Did it affect our next game vs. WVU & Jamie Luckie?) 🤷‍♀️

Cal wins it in 17,and the last Final4 memory in fans mind wouldn't have been the most devastating loss in UK HISTORY to Wisconsin. Cal would be in better shape but still made uncomfortable. The 9-16 season and the first round loss to popcorn State ( with Shaedon Sharpe on bench refusing to play, destroyed Cals fan base.

Cal should have at least 4 Natty's counting Memphis but the problem is he does not get the basics of college basketball. He can teach Pro like skills to players but does not know how to teach teamwork and fundamentals of the college game.
The fact that he has had so much talent and only one title is proof of his ineptitude.
He has been to 6 final fours (4 UK, 1 Mempis, 1 UMASS) and won only 1 Title. UConn during the same span has played in 1 less final 4 and won 5 Titles.
He was even unable to get there with Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe. Face it the dude just sucks at coaching and is glorified AAU man. Someone (Mitch) probably should have done a deeper dive before selling him UK's Soul.

His record is about as impressive as the Buffulo Bills
11 Elite 8 > 6 Final 4 > 3 Championship games > 1 NCAA championship (seems like an HOF coach should have a better record)

Last edited:
Excellent post. I think the 2017 season was the final turning point into the mediocrity we’re living through today. Since then, there has been a carousel of assistant coaches, the emergence of the transfer portal, Covid-19 (which to be fair was totally out of Cal’s control), the social upheaval of 2020, NIL, and the emergence of player entourages.

The game has changed so much over the last 10-15 years and especially the last 5.
Yeah but everyone else is adjusting to the same challenges and conditions.

I'm frustrated with Barnhart

His silence on this tells me he can't do anything about it, so he dare not address it with the fans

Tubby got an 8 seed in the tournament and Barnhart goes to the press talking about how that isn't acceptable at KY, and then makes demands to Tubby.

I'm sure Barnhart has made some comments - but he has yet to my knowledge made any declaration about the season as a whole this year or last. I seem to remember him going on KSR or some equivalent but still, nothing that you could look back on saying he is going to get involved.

I'd like to think the administration knows the fanbase is done and will at least acknowledge it, but nothing.

I think you could make the argument its Joker bad at this point.
Barnhart gave Calipari a lifetime contract. If he said our season was unacceptable nowadays, he’s drawing attention to how STUPID he was for doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT