ADVERTISEMENT

Think the Bowden experiment has run its course

I was saying it for weeks, I couldn’t understand these people shaking in their boots scared of Missouri like they were Alabama or something

Reactions: Samurai Cat
We're just too one dimensional and asking LB to do too much every play. I just can't see us being successful with him at QB every snap.
There is some logic to your line of thinking. But OTOH, Missouri is probably the best team we will face the rest of the way, and Bowden just rushed for around 200 yards against their highly ranked defense while blew them off the field.

We're just too one dimensional and asking LB to do too much every play. I just can't see us being successful with him at QB every snap.

Spot on observation. Not meant as criticism but it never fails when one makes "this is the best ever" or "this is the worst ever" comments it always goes bad,.

I love how most of you come out of the woodwork just to bash posters who have the guts to have an opinion and then they're proven wrong once in a while. Some of you are pathetic and just look for posters to bash because you can't come up with an original thought of your own.

If by “original thought” you mean consistently miserable then yes- and I would imagine you know more about being proven wrong than almost anyone else on this board since it happens every week and not just “once in awhile.”

Reactions: 0ldSarge and jnewc2
Go Big Blue experiment!!!!
tumblr_os63jsBr1G1s04h2ho1_250.gif

Gimore. I know it's not ideal but he's healthy and can run more of the offense than Lynn can. If we have a staff that can't get a backup QB ready after 1 month then he needs to explain why.

"HE" probably thinks the fans should be able to figure it out themselves.

I love how most of you come out of the woodwork just to bash posters who have the guts to have an opinion and then they're proven wrong once in a while. Some of you are pathetic and just look for posters to bash because you can't come up with an original thought of your own.
If you are gonna put your opinion out on a public forum then you have to have the balls fo stand in the fire when it blows up in your face. Stop whining

Reactions: jnewc2

Some posters ^ come up witb terrible original "thoughts"

Spot on observation. Not meant as criticism but it never fails when one makes "this is the best ever" or "this is the worst ever" comments it always goes bad,.

This door swings both ways It's silly to throw Bowden under the bus for his less than stellar play at Georgia, but it's just as silly to act like he'd be QB#1 if Smith was completely healthy. Bowden is a non-QB doing an excellent job of running a gimmick offense in the absence of a true quarterback. I'm stoked that we beat Mizzou (Barry Odom, the gift that keeps giving), but I'm not naive enough to think that you can run this kind of offense week after week with success.

This door swings both ways It's silly to throw Bowden under the bus for his less than stellar play at Georgia, but it's just as silly to act like he'd be QB#1 if Smith was completely healthy. Bowden is a non-QB doing an excellent job of running a gimmick offense in the absence of a true quarterback. I'm stoked that we beat Mizzou (Barry Odom, the gift that keeps giving), but I'm not naive enough to think that you can run this kind of offense week after week with success.
Mizzou has the #10 defense in the country in YPG allowed.

That was probably the toughest defense we had left on the schedule. If it worked against Mizz it will work against the rest of 'em.

I know UK football fans have PTSD but it's OK to acknowledge that Bowden has, in fact, been pretty spectacular. Not gimmicky. Just really good.

I said on another thread that if they sit Bowden for anything other than injury, irrespective of Smith's health, it's coaching malpractice. Bowden gives us our best chance to win. Period.

Mizzou has the #10 defense in the country in YPG allowed.

That was probably the toughest defense we had left on the schedule. If it worked against Mizz it will work against the rest of 'em.

I know UK football fans have PTSD but it's OK to acknowledge that Bowden has, in fact, been pretty spectacular. Not gimmicky. Just really good.

I said on another thread that if they sit Bowden for anything other than injury, irrespective of Smith's health, it's coaching malpractice. Bowden gives us our best chance to win. Period.

Making univariate analysis of data sets based on broad assumptions is a dangerous business. You risk letting your wishes and conclusions become one and the same. You insist the following is true: #10 defense = best defense we will play

From this, you form the following syllogism:

Major Premise: Missouri has a better defense than the rest of our opponents
Minor Premise: Kentucky's Bowden Centered offense whipped Missouri's defense
Conclusion: Therefore, Kentucky's Bowden Centered offense will work "against the rest of 'em".

What that #10 ranking means is that in the previous seven games before they played UK they gave up less yards than all but 9 teams in the country. And while that can give you some idea of the team that they were before they played us, it gives you far less of an idea of who they are as they played us. That #10 ranking ignores strength of schedule, matchups, weather, schemes, and any one of dozens of other variables. Simply put, you can't look at a single (univariate) defensive ranking based on what they did in weeks ago and make assertions as to who they are now. Nor can you look at, say, Tennessee's current rankings and have any idea of what team we will meet in two weeks. (The UT team that lost to BYU has been replaced by the one that whipped USC).

It's more likely that you simply want UK to win out and you like watching Bowden run wild. (So do I, by the way). You have made the mistake of taking that one variable (#10 ranking) and building a whole fantasy around it. The truth is that we have no idea how Bowden at QB will work out vs. UT, Vandy, or UofL.

If we keep cranking out 250 yards on the ground a game I'll be stoked. But if one, two, or even all three of these teams "figure us out", I won't be surprised. One dimensional offenses are usually not long for the world. Our best hope is to move back toward something like a balanced offense as soon as Smith is healthy. Each week that goes by with Bowden at the helm is one more week for film for the team that eventually figures us out.

Making univariate analysis of data sets based on broad assumptions is a dangerous business. You risk letting your wishes and conclusions become one and the same. You insist the following is true: #10 defense = best defense we will play

From this, you form the following syllogism:

Major Premise: Missouri has a better defense than the rest of our opponents
Minor Premise: Kentucky's Bowden Centered offense whipped Missouri's defense
Conclusion: Therefore, Kentucky's Bowden Centered offense will work "against the rest of 'em".

What that #10 ranking means is that in the previous seven games before they played UK they gave up less yards than all but 9 teams in the country. And while that can give you some idea of the team that they were before they played us, it gives you far less of an idea of who they are as they played us. That #10 ranking ignores strength of schedule, matchups, weather, schemes, and any one of dozens of other variables. Simply put, you can't look at a single (univariate) defensive ranking based on what they did in weeks ago and make assertions as to who they are now. Nor can you look at, say, Tennessee's current rankings and have any idea of what team we will meet in two weeks. (The UT team that lost to BYU has been replaced by the one that whipped USC).

It's more likely that you simply want UK to win out and you like watching Bowden run wild. (So do I, by the way). You have made the mistake of taking that one variable (#10 ranking) and building a whole fantasy around it. The truth is that we have no idea how Bowden at QB will work out vs. UT, Vandy, or UofL.

If we keep cranking out 250 yards on the ground a game I'll be stoked. But if one, two, or even all three of these teams "figure us out", I won't be surprised. One dimensional offenses are usually not long for the world. Our best hope is to move back toward something like a balanced offense as soon as Smith is healthy. Each week that goes by with Bowden at the helm is one more week for film for the team that eventually figures us out.
So what statistics do you have that would lead you to believe that a healthy Smith is our best option? Nothing against the kid but he couldn’t win the QB job at Troy. While I realize he’s been hurt, I don’t know how we know he would be a better option than Lynn. I suspect the coaching staff will make the right decision...my guess is LB is our QB the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT