ADVERTISEMENT

Things are heating up in the old portal today

A live look at Jerry Jones telling Cal to dump players at the end of the portal

7ee3c69c-bef1-4e9e-86d0-b060ef2577bf_text.gif

Keep in mind, players in the portal are mostly there (and not staying in the draft) for a reason. A reason such as small for their position, slow, can’t defend, can’t shoot. For Richmond it’s “can’t shoot”, 27% from 3.

Now I don’t mind players with a flaw, 99% have one, but to me “can’t shoot” may be the biggest flaw you can have.

Keep in mind, players in the portal are mostly there (and not staying in the draft) for a reason. A reason such as small for their position, slow, can’t defend, can’t shoot. For Richmond it’s “can’t shoot”, 27% from 3.

Now I don’t mind players with a flaw, 99% have one, but to me “can’t shoot” may be the biggest flaw you can have.

Traditionally, I would have agreed with you. I realize a lot are moving the other direction as well due to the reasons you stated, and that does fall in line with the traditional reasons like the ones you stated.

However, no penalty for transferring combined with NIL money available now, that is no longer the case. Look at how many really good players are in the portal... every player has flaws, sure, but a lot of these guys are moving UP to stronger teams, tougher conferences, etc, and that doesn't follow the logic that they're doing it b/c they are not good enough. It's actually quite the opposite for a ton of players.

There are a lot of reasons guys transfer that we never know. Of course the money is there....
Last chance, playing style, further their education, family, advice from friends, handlers, playing time....and likely a slew of other reasons.

Big weekend for a coaching staff that hasn't been together even a week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT