ADVERTISEMENT

"They're not doing their job" video from KSR. UK basketball is failing at NIL distribution, per source.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Very telling. UK basketball is very inept regarding its NIL distribution. He discloses that "everything has to go through Cal."

UK left this NIL guy hanging for 6 months, after he offered Antonio Reeves a six figure NIL deal.

He said he's offered Sheppard $1 million, but he hasn't heard anything back yet.

I just read the article, pretty bad look for Cal and staff. Why would it all need to go through Cal? I thought there would be someone in charge of all NIL stuff, was that the TJ guy who went to unc?

Kind of got to laugh that Cal touts all this income his players make in the NBA, but we left Reeves hanging on 6 figures.

I just read the article, pretty bad look for Cal and staff. Why would it all need to go through Cal? I thought there would be someone in charge of all NIL stuff, was that the TJ guy who went to unc?

Kind of got to laugh that Cal touts all this income his players make in the NBA, but we left Reeves hanging on 6 figures.
Cal didn’t replace him. Probably just said it’ll all go through me. Lol, another blunder by Calipari.

Very telling. UK basketball is very inept regarding its NIL distribution. He discloses that "everything has to go through Cal."

UK left this NIL guy hanging for 6 months, after he offered Antonio Reeves a six figure NIL deal.

He said he's offered Sheppard $1 million, but he hasn't heard anything back yet.

My honest impression is that this guy sounds shady and MJ sure didn't ask some questions I would have been asking. Having said that, if this turns out to be true, then it is pretty bad for UK. I wonder if Cal ever lost a fax??

• Haha
Reactions: 2StepShep
Ehh, like most stories that you get from one side, I am sure there is more to it. Players aren't exactly hard to get a hold of if you want to speak with them about these things.
But if it all has to go though Cal why would you go behind Cal’s back then. That’s not good business for future endeavors. The guy even says he just assumed Reeves passed on it and it was no big deal. He got mad when he found out Reeves hadn’t even been presented the offer.

This is a microcosm of the all the things Kyle Tucker touched on last summer. Cal has burned his relationships and everything is “his way” even the NIL. I don’t think it nefarious, but it’s just ego. Cal knows all. He’ll decide what’s good for players and what isn’t. Time to pack his bags and go. We’re heading down a wrong path

But if it all has to go though Cal why would you go behind Cal’s back then. That’s not good business for future endeavors. The guy even says he just assumed Reeves passed on it and it was no big deal. He got mad when he found out Reeves hadn’t even been presented the offer.

This is a microcosm of the all the things Kyle Tucker touched on last summer. Cal has burned his relationships and everything is “his way” even the NIL. I don’t think it nefarious, but it’s just ego. Cal knows all. He’ll decide what’s good for players and what isn’t. Time to pack his bags and go. We’re heading down a wrong path

Does it sound reasonable to you that some guy who owns a sport memorabilia store is offering this kind of money? I had some questions as I was listening because he said $100k and then he said $20 per card.

I would like to hear how this works. I've dealt with too many pitch men to trust some guy like this that this is a straight up offer.

What proof is there really that it "all has to go through Cal"? Reeds deal with White, Greer Maggard Orthodontics doesn't go through Cal. In fact, most of Reeds deals are handled by Jeff and Stacy unless it's a team thing.

Also, what's the penalty for not going through Cal? Does he take their money or something?

Just because someone makes a claim doesn't mean it's all true.

Good possibility you’re right on this
If Cal was so concerned about changing lives, he'd have put this NIL situation as top priority. The fact that there is proof he has thwarted progress on getting a player paid tells me that he's more concerned about the NBA brag than really changing lives. It boils down to how it makes HIM look, although he could easily do the same brag by talking about well his players get treated in the Kentucky NIL program.

So, do you really think that this Brady James guy is going to pay Reeves $100K and Reed a million to play at UK and sign some cards, etc? Serious question. This seems too good to be true, to be honest.
Regardless of what that guy said, I’m ready for a new coach. I see your point and understand what you mean.

Regardless of what that guy said, I’m ready for a new coach. I see your point and understand what you mean.

Yeah, I am ready for a new coach too. And, I wouldn't be upset if Cal got fired for violating university policy. But, this whole thing about some guy who can't write a coherent sentence giving away a million dollars to Reed for signing some cards just doesn't add up in my mind. I'm not buying this entire story even if parts of it are true.

I imagine all these deals have to run through Cal so he gets his cuts.

So, do you really think that this Brady James guy is going to pay Reeves $100K and Reed a million to play at UK and sign some cards, etc? Serious question. This seems too good to be true, to be honest.
Yeah I figure you can trust him if he had a $100,000 deal with Will Levis. That’s just a guess though.

First off, are coaches allowed to be involved in NIL like that?

Second, a coach should want to know about NIL and help vet the source. because the guy is from Middle Tenn and while im sure he's a real UK fan........ what if say someone else from Tenn does this and gives UK player an NIL but part of the million is when playing Tenn , the player gives up the game plan etc or even worse, throw a game? Im NOT saying Nate is doing that... Only giving reasons why a coach would want to know about each NIL and vet the NIL donor.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Yeah, I am ready for a new coach too. And, I wouldn't be upset if Cal got fired for violating university policy. But, this whole thing about some guy who can't write a coherent sentence giving away a million dollars to Reed for signing some cards just doesn't add up in my mind. I'm not buying this entire story even if parts of it are true.
I’d love for Billy Donovan to take this job. If people thinks our fans are mean they should look at how mean the fans are that Billy has to deal with in Chicago.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
If Cal was so concerned about changing lives, he'd have put this NIL situation as top priority. The fact that there is proof he has thwarted progress on getting a player paid tells me that he's more concerned about the NBA brag than really changing lives. It boils down to how it makes HIM look, although he could easily do the same brag by talking about well his players get treated in the Kentucky NIL program.
What if Cal has an umbrella deal with a big autograph company for funneling players to them and has not disclosed it? Hence discouraging or even impeding deals like this.

What proof is there really that it "all has to go through Cal"? Reeds deal with White, Greer Maggard Orthodontics doesn't go through Cal. In fact, most of Reeds deals are handled by Jeff and Stacy unless it's a team thing.

Also, what's the penalty for not going through Cal? Does he take their money or something?

Just because someone makes a claim doesn't mean it's all true.
maybe Jeff & Stacy should be hired to handle all NIL deals. They would be around the team and could help with the coaching too.

Well apparently he payed will Levis 100 thousand so id venture to say yes. Now I do find it hard to believe cal would purposely screw reaves over like that. The people under him probably screwed that up.

Well apparently he payed will Levis 100 thousand so id venture to say yes. Now I do find it hard to believe cal would purposely screw reaves over like that. The people under him probably screwed that up.

And how did you verify that info. I looked online and only found some other companies listed:

• Cash App on 2023
  • Onyx Authenticated on 2022
  • Mercury on 2022
  • Ale-8-One Soda Brand on 2022
  • NOBULL on 2022

And how did you verify that info. I looked online and only found some other companies listed:

• Cash App on 2023
  • Onyx Authenticated on 2022
  • Mercury on 2022
  • Ale-8-One Soda Brand on 2022
  • NOBULL on 2022
Good lord. What is wrong with you. Google Grand Slam Collectibles Will Levis. Brady’s been around a long time and has done a lot of great things for UK fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT