ADVERTISEMENT

"They [the UK fans] are going to be ready to burn Lexington down!" - Randolph Childress

There is no way Cal is not done here at UK. Gotta think the pressure will be too much and he steps down after this year? Right? Right?
I think there's a chance of it, especially since his incoming class only has one legitimate lottery pick (Quaintance). Fland is good, but he's not transcendent.

We could be even worse next year, and Cal knows it.

The only way I see Cal being comfortable with next year is if a few of his current players bail him out and return for another year. Maybe Wagner, Big Z, and a few others come back.

That said, I don't think any of the freshman will return (with the exception being Sheppard). I also think we lose a few guys to the portal (Onyenso, Burks, Hart).

We might be in a position where our only returners would be Sheppard and Thiero, and both of those guys are also not a given at this point (Thiero almost transferred last year and Reed is evidently a first round pick right now).

I could also see Calipari coming back and trying to make a splash with the Dybantsa class and start hyping it as "one of his best ever" to buy time and appease BBN, but it will already be too late. He'll probably be coming off a first-weekend loss in the 2024 tourney, and he'll be entering '24-25 with a mediocre squad.

He's not going to make it successfully to the Dybantsa class without massive friction. BBN will be seething by that point.

The irony is that I could see him taking a buyout after next season, locking up Dybantsa, Acuff, Wilson, and Thomas; getting a second year from Quaintance, and then taking them all to UCLA or something like that. Quaintance could simply enter the portal for his sophomore year and follow Cal.

So Cal would finally have a team featuring multiple lottery picks for the first time in years, and he'd take them all with him to UCLA where the Bruins would probably pay him top money for a few years of recruiting hype and an instant top 5ish team.

This is how I see it all potentially unfolding. Something along these lines.

"If we fast forward the clock to a month, and this team falls anywhere short of Phoenix, they're going to be ready to burn Lexington down." Randolph Childress knows BBN pretty well, it seems.

Love how Randolph said Duke is beating UK for those AD/Wall type talents. That's also a big reason why we suck. Cal can't get the recruits he excelled with. Like he did in 2009-2015. And when the tables flip on him. He can't adapt without overwhelming talent.

That's why I think tonight is one of Cal's most important games. ANd I think thats why you're seeing him be a little desperate and go away from his own strategies and mantras. Sounds like hes going to play the lineup that gives us the best chance to win, even if that means some recruits don't get the playing time they want, because if he losses then the wheels will really fall off.

That's why I think tonight is one of Cal's most important games. ANd I think thats why you're seeing him be a little desperate and go away from his own strategies and mantras. Sounds like hes going to play the lineup that gives us the best chance to win, even if that means some recruits don't get the playing time they want, because if he losses then the wheels will really fall off.
He’s had a lot of important games lately haha.

I will believe it when I see it. Cal seems to do this every so often, he might mix something up for a game like Ole Miss; but I’d bet that when the going gets tough at Auburn, he reverts back to the old ways.

He’s had a lot of important games lately haha.

I will believe it when I see it. Cal seems to do this every so often, he might mix something up for a game like Ole Miss; but I’d bet that when the going gets tough at Auburn, he reverts back to the old ways.

I dont think like this game though. The fans are ready to riot, and the media has now picked up on what's happening. Gonzaga, weirdly enough, was not a must-win for Cal in terms of his image outside of Kentucky, and his chances to keep his job (or get another job).

He can't lose tonight. Kentucky will then be firmly on the bubble, a bye in the SECT is gone, we will be capped as a 5-seed at best, and he will be staring down the barrell if another 1st weekend exit. All eyes are on him and UK tonight.

Don't think anyone on here with a brain ever thought this team was a legit final four contender. No coach and no defense means slim to none tourney success.

How do these guys get on here and talk about UK defensively and not ever bring up the fact that cal does nothing different from game to game. We are a poor defensive team, make zero adjustments, are easy for opponents to prepare for, never make the opponent have to adjust by throwing a wrinkle at them, never just surprise the shit out of a team by giving them a look they didn’t suspect. It’s a damn miracle we ever get any stops at all.

Cal, strategy?! 🤔

🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BBUK
Randolph mentioned Duke now being the school that gets those “difference-maker” talents, not UK.

Who is he referring to?

I think there's a chance of it, especially since his incoming class only has one legitimate lottery pick (Quaintance). Fland is good, but he's not transcendent.

The only way I see Cal being comfortable with next year is if a few of his current players bail him out and return for another year. Maybe Wagner, Big Z, and a few others come back.

That said, I don't think any of the freshman will return (with the exception being Sheppard). I also think we lose a few guys to the portal (Onyenso, Burks, Hart).

We might be in a position where our only returners would be Sheppard and Thiero, and both of those guys are also not a given at this point (Thiero almost transferred last year and Reed is evidently a first round pick right now).

I could also see Calipari coming back and trying to make a splash with the Dybantsa class and start hyping it as "one of his best ever" to buy time and appease BBN, but it will already be too late. He'll probably be coming off a first-weekend loss in the 2024 tourney, and he'll be entering '24-25 with a mediocre squad.

He's not going to make it successfully to the Dybantsa class without massive friction. BBN will be seething by that point.

The irony is that I could see him taking a buyout after next season, locking up Dybantsa, Acuff, Wilson, and Thomas; getting a second year from Quaintance, and then taking them all to UCLA or something like that. Quaintance could simply enter the portal for his sophomore year and follow Cal.

So Cal would finally have a team featuring multiple lottery picks for the first time in years, and he'd take them all with him to UCLA where the Bruins would probably pay him top money for a few years of recruiting hype and an instant top 5ish team.

It would be hilarious if if he THEN started making his guys do the little things, utilizing different looks on defense and actually implementing a motion offense. Because 🐮 is vindictive like that. He desperately wants to go back to the NBA or to UCLA where he can imagine his name being up there with Wooden's.

Love how Randolph said Duke is beating UK for those AD/Wall type talents. That's also a big reason why we suck. Cal can't get the recruits he excelled with. Like he did in 2009-2015. And when the tables flip on him. He can't adapt without overwhelming talent.
That’s 100% true. I tried to tell people he is terrible and will never hang another banner. It’s seems so obvious. How many years is it acceptable to miss FFs?

lol good grief people have you been paying any attention at all?

We are not losing because there's no Cooper Flagg/Anthony Davis type players on this team. We have more than enough talent to be a top-5 and a 1-seed this year - WAY more than enough.

We just lost 3 freaking games in a row in Rupp Arena - an historic low! This is happening because Calipari is washed and progressively makes teams worse now as the season progresses. He's destroyed this team as he will every team he is involved with from here on out.

We are doomed as long as he is here.

lol good grief people have you been paying any attention at all?

We are not losing because there's no Cooper Flagg/Anthony Davis type players on this team. We have more than enough talent to be a top-5 and a 1-seed this year - WAY more than enough.

We just lost 3 freaking games in a row in Rupp Arena - an historic low! This is happening because Calipari is washed and progressively makes teams worse now as the season progresses. He's destroyed this team as he will every team he is involved with from here on out.

We are doomed as long as he is here.
I honestly think this current version of Cal would have the 2012 team in a similar position to this year.

What would it matter he has proven and proven he can’t win regardless of the talent he has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Probably Zion, Banchero, Flagg, etc.

Top 3 pick type dudes we used to get. "Likely" All Stars at the next level. The only one we've gotten in the past few years never played a minute.
Fair enough. I’m pleased with their results too!

If Quaintance is the sure fire lottery pick, why would he come back and transfer to UCLA ? Why not just bounce to the NBA ? Confused with that part of your hypothesis ???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT