ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM!

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Been a while since we've had an edition of The War Room and I'm hoping this one's well-timed to carry you into UK-Florida...

Turns out it will indeed be a very big recruiting weekend in Lexington so there will be storylines and also updates here.

-- Brandon White committed to Kentucky this morning and that's not a surprise. The only question was whether UK was prepared to go all in. They verbally offered over the summer but wanted to see him in the fall and Marrow did, with White playing well enough while he was there. The question was about size. He's probably more like 5'7 than the listed 5'9. Those who are believers are going to point to Wan'Dale and say this kid is just a football player and with that speed Kentucky will find a way for him to make an impact. In the past he has expressed a real openness and willingness to also serve as a return man at the college level so keep that in mind given UK's scary moments on PRs. But no question size is what prevented more P5 programs not to offer. He will obviously have a big chip on his shoulders. Two things: Some believe Iowa State does a really nice job of evaluating receivers and they had offered, and West Virginia really did want him right up until the end.

I think White was just taken and enamored with UK right from the start. It's the SEC close to home, he loves hearing about the plan to be like Wan'Dale, and he was very convinced by Liam Coen's offense when he was learning about it on campus. Supposed to talk to him again later but I don't expect White to waver, he will probably be very loyal based on Kentucky believing in him whereas others didn't quite take the plunge.

-- Speed was the priority at receiver this year and they have certainly addressed that. The question is whether the pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction on the size/speed front. I think what the addition of both Jordan Anthony and White means is that they are going to have to go for more conventional or bigger builds over the next 2-3 commitments they take at WR. On that point...

-- Still thinking UK has a great shot to finish with Dane Key. Look for an October 28th decision and right now you have to think they're in good shape. Not close to changing my pick. Haven't heard anything about a silent but he's been to UK so many times and the offense has done enough, you'd think, to show it's moving in the right direction for a WR.

-- Kentucky has a real shot with Barion Brown. I've dug around a lot and honestly believe the talk about the trip to Alabama was probably guided misdirection. For a guy who might be making a decision in the next few weeks to have the clout to do that and get him in for an official is a very big deal. Really a lot of the offensive staff (as mentioned Coen and Woodward but also Eric Wolford, the area recruiter in TN) are making him feel like a really top tier priority. Alabama is Alabama but Kentucky's pitch here is not only going to be that the offense is moving forward but that he can come in and possibly start right away or very soon, and also that Alabama signed so many elite receivers in the last recruiting class. They'll also say that if you look at Wan'Dale, when UK has an elite (both Rivals100 guys) guy then Coen and Woodward can showcase him. I am not prepared to put a pick in for Kentucky but I believe they're in much better shape than most realize.

-- Kentucky continues to recruit ECU WR commit Kaleb Webb but there's a lot more competition now. Tennessee, Louisville, Ole Miss, South Carolina and others have offered since Kentucky. Nobody has told me exactly where UK seems to stand but he was pretty upbeat about that offer. Just does not seem to be in much of a rush.

-- Kentucky would absolutely love to take Drew Bobo, who has blown up over the course of this process. The son of Auburn's OC would be a take for Georgia, Auburn, Kentucky, or a lot of other schools right now. From what I've hearing Kentucky is quietly in a very good position with Bobo even though his dad is at Auburn and UGA is UGA. Wouldn't be surprised if they get him on campus at some point this fall. I think what has happened is that a lot of people assumed that he was going to be overrated because of his dad but there is no nepotism at all here. Really good prospect and a potentially big-time player. He does not have a long track record of year round work in the weight room because he's played basketball in the winter so he is going to really take off once he gets into a college S&C program. Lots of untapped potential and already good. Would give Kentucky a real shot, top 3 but not sure whether 1, 2, or 3.

-- UK's very much in the mix for an offensive lineman committed to another Power Five program and one that you're familiar with but will need to wait to share more.

-- Would imagine Grayson Morgan ends up at Vanderbilt. Nobody has told me that but the sense I've gotten is that UK would love to have him for his athleticism and pass pro potential but if he hasn't made up his mind at this point with the way the Dores look and the uncertainty there then there might not (we'll see) be too much they can do. Kentucky's had great lines recently, guys going to the NFL, good brand for that, successful team, and if he goes there it seems like folks will just assume they couldn't have done anything else.

-- Still like Kentucky's standing with Rivals250 tackle Aamil Wagner. Will let you know if I come across anything that prompts me to change my pick from Kentucky. Don't think it's a done deal, but would put confidence at about 7.5 or 8 out of 10 and don't regret making the prediction for UK. Wagner is probably not very close to a decision but you never know. He has been to Kentucky, Ohio State, and Penn State this weekend with plans to visit Notre Dame for an October home game. We mentioned that Ahmad is now a GA at Kentucky and that is a big help. The one thought I had is that any success UK has on the field the next month against a brutal schedule would probably help them lock it up.

-- Four-star OL/DL Deon Walker from Michigan is visiting and we reported a couple of months back I'd guess that he's now a DL target for the Wildcats. Checks the box of being really lengthy which is something UK likes about freshmen Dinkins and Saunders.

The Wolverines have been deemed the smart and safe money pick by everyone who has felt the need to log a prediction but I feel about this situation similar to how I feel about Drew Bobo. Kentucky's got more of a chance than people think.

-- Another guy who is highly interested in both Michigan and Kentucky (as well as Tennessee) is GA linebacker Joshua Josephs. Kentucky would still love to add him if they can even though they already have a tremendous edge duo of Keaten Wade and Tyreese Fearbry.

-- Alabama DB Rodney Johnson isn't the biggest guy but he's still an option for UK and visits this weekend.

-- 6'4 JUCO DB Zah Frazier is someone to watch very closely as UK looks to finish out this class. I think what is happening at corner is what happened at receiver. For a while the question was whether they take Anthony or White to fill the "smaller, fast WR" spot. In the end they doubled down and took both to increase the likelihood that the real need is met by someone who pans out. And if they were to take Frazier then they'd be double tapping on the super long, JUCO DB route. I don't mind that at all. They brought Echols and Mosely in together and probably don't regret that.

One of the great things Kentucky has done with its defense under Stoops is prioritize length. It disrupts lanes, it's disruptive in general. With all the talk about long defensive linemen, bringing in two long OLBs, the commitment from a long CB and offer to another, it almost seems obvious that this has been an across the board "re-emphasis". Not to say they've gotten away from it, but they're really going back to that well.

-- What we know about the likely final makeup of this class: The most speed they've ever recruited at receiver but size will be a question, it's going to be a great O-line class with the potential to be truly elite (top 5 nationally), and the best pair of edge defenders they've ever signed. If they end up with a couple of JUCO corners then their immediate readiness is going to be important for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News