ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM! (1/11): Updates on Bowden, Paschal, Munford and Ford

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Don't be surprised if we hear something about Lynn Bowden in the near future. I can't say anything with certainty, but as I indicated recently, as of right now I'd be a little surprised if he waits all the way until his planned announcement date of 1/25 (corrected from the 1/21 posted accidentally). He could still wait until the 25th, but there's some chatter that he's pretty sure of what he wants to do.

A frequent question I've heard is how Kentucky plans on using Bowden. I think Bowden will grow into a role he's comfortable with and there will be some trial and error. Overall, I think the place where you would see him the most would be slot. But I could see him motioning a lot, moving into the backfield to take carries, and occasionally taking snaps in the Wildcat. The thing about that, the latter possibility, is that he would be a legitimate threat to pass the ball from that formation. My understanding is Kentucky basically thinks of this guy as a five-star caliber player, and he would probably be the best overall player in the Cats' 2017 class.

Not long ago there was some scuttlebutt that Ohio State could offer Bowden. The thinking there was that Kevin Wilson, formerly of Indiana, was a big reason Bowden liked the Hoosiers, and with him going to Columbus it seemed to increase the likelihood of Urban Meyer's staff making a play. But Kentucky doesn't seem to be worried, whether OSU offers or not. Now, Tyjon Lindsay just decommitted from Ohio State. Does that make Bowden more possible for them? Again, all I can say is UK doesn't seem bothered.

Another player who would be in the running for that "top guy overall" honor is Joshua Paschal and I want to address the recent chatter that he could take visits to Penn State and Ohio State. At the time of Paschal's commitment I didn't hear anything that indicated he would take more visits, because I was under the impression that he was dead set on Kentucky. It happened quickly there at the end, but he really came around to the Cats.

I've heard that there has been an understanding that if Paschal wants to take visits, he's free to. He's been free to. Apparently, initially Paschal was leaning towards making a Signing Day commitment, likely to Kentucky. When he decided he wanted to verbally commit to Kentucky early, he did so with the understanding that he could continue to take visits. Does that mean he's less than solid? I don't think so. I know some will say they're worried anytime a guy takes visits, but all I can say is I haven't heard concern. Someone did tell me they're extremely confident Paschal will sign with Kentucky.

Penn State doesn't have many spots remaining and they're still after some big name guys, and someone told me a while back they didn't think Ohio State would be offering. If Paschal visits Ohio State the weekend of January 20th, they would have to see where they stand with other guys before deciding if Paschal is a take. The Buckeyes have liked him for a really long time, but he hasn't been a Plan A for them like Paschal was for Notre Dame and Oklahoma.

I'm now under the impression that Thayer Munford is, again, more likely than not to land an Ohio State offer. It's gone back and forth for a little while and I'm not 100-percent sure what calculation Ohio State is making (i.e. whether they want someone they consider a guard, how their numbers are, etc), but chatter seems to be that Ohio State is leaning towards offering him. Will the offer come when Munford visits or after? Closer to Signing Day? We'll see. But right now that's what I'm hearing.

Finally, as some of you have said yourselves here, I'm hearing that Jon Ford is a little less likely to commit than it seemed before. He has expressed a lot of positivity towards Kentucky on a number of fronts, but one person I spoke with, who is closer to Ford's end than UK's, believes that it's "possible but not likely" that Ford flips. Additionally I don't typically read much into what players say on social media but it does seem like Ford has changed his tone a bit and seems to be more defiant in talking about his commitment to the Hurricanes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News