Votes: 3 14.3%
  • It’s aight

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Unadulterated hate!

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Grew up on liver and onions which I had at least a couple times a month. Primarily beef and lamb. Loved it. We had to stop eating it because it was messing up my father’s own liver and giving him health issues. The liver being the filter of the body eating too much of it can overload your own liver as it’s basically a filter having to filter another filter (say that five times fast).

Had it at a restaurant 6 months ago for the first time in like a decade and enjoyed. My family looked at me in disgust.

True story. A bunch of us cops were at the chow hall to eat before going on duty. You had 2 choices that day-liver or burgers. All the cops but one chose burgers. We started calling him liver lover. Soon the whole chow hall started chanting liver lover. The poor guy started crying.

Ate it a lot as a kid because my Dad liked it and it was cheap. Still like it but as an adult, it's not part of my wife's repertoire and I don't love it enough to order it in a restaurant that might have it. But if you told me it what was for dinner or set it down in front of me, I'd eat it.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I ordered it recently at the Uptown Cafe in Louisville. It was great. Have also ordered at Checks. There is a little cottage restaurant on Eastern Prkwy that would serve both chicken and beef liver. I have had bother there. The chicken livers at Lee’s are just okay.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
dan aykroyd cooking GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: UK82
Liverwurst (leberwurst) = freaking delicious. Love it on crackers, bread, toast, etc. Usually buy at least 2-3x annually.

Back in July, over in Iceland, I walked to nearby grocery store and purchased 500 g Liverwurst. Just awesome.

But liver, by itself, I'll eat about once every 5 years or so with onions. Not really a fan thereof.

Last edited:
The linked article includes the following quote:

"A filling in a sandwich made on rye, pumpernickel or whole wheat, and dressed with mustard and sometimes raw onions, liverwurst was in many kids’ lunch bag rotation 30 years ago, though even then, it seemed oddly old-fashioned."

I don't remember "many kids" eating liverwurst sandwiches in the school cafeteria. Maybe 80 years ago in NYC or Germany. But not 30-40 years ago in KY.

Fried chicken livers are delicious.

if you read Endurance about Ernest Shackleton, whenever they were able to kill a sea lion they would always eat the liver first as a treat.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Liverwurst (leberwurst) = freaking delicious. Love it on crackers, bread, toast, etc. Usually buy at least 2-3x annually.

Back in July, over in Iceland, I walked to nearby grocery store and purchased 500 g Liverwurst. Just awesome.

But liver, by itself, I'll eat about once every 5 years or so with onions. Not really a fan thereof.

Liver wurst mixed with Lipton onion soup mix and mayo is a great dip!

• Love
Reactions: AustinTXCat
The linked article includes the following quote:

"A filling in a sandwich made on rye, pumpernickel or whole wheat, and dressed with mustard and sometimes raw onions, liverwurst was in many kids’ lunch bag rotation 30 years ago, though even then, it seemed oddly old-fashioned."

I don't remember "many kids" eating liverwurst sandwiches in the school cafeteria. Maybe 80 years ago in NYC or Germany. But not 30-40 years ago in KY.

My mom occasionally packed liver wurst, cheese and mustard sandwiches for my lunch.

Fried chicken livers are delicious.

if you read Endurance about Ernest Shackleton, whenever they were able to kill a sea lion they would always eat the liver first as a treat.
Killer whales love shark liver. Read several accounts describing shark liver as a delicacy for them. Killer whales "squeeze a shark like toothpaste for it's liver"

When it comes to great flavor, you really can't beat the taste of a vertibrate animal's "toxin filter" fried up with some onions.

Love chicken livers if they are not overcooked or hard.
The problem I have is that I feel bad after i eat them.
Not sure if it's too much vitamin A in them or what.
If it wasn't for that, I would eat them a lot more.

Love chicken livers if they are not overcooked or hard.
The problem I have is that I feel bad after i eat them.
Not sure if it's too much vitamin A in them or what.
If it wasn't for that, I would eat them a lot more.
Probably the iron, which is TERRIBLE for men.

I've only had Foie Gras once and it was quite good but I'm not a big fan of force feeding a duck or goose just to enlarge their liver. Very expensive.

My parents tried making me eat it and that’s probably the only conflict I ever won as a kid. I was willing to die sitting at that table before I would eat that. Today I really like trying new foods but I refuse to eat liver, kidneys, brains, or gizzards.
I won’t eat brains but the rest are fair game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT