ADVERTISEMENT

The Ringer compares Duke to Team USA

It's clear Axe is a Duke fan that created this account in July to simply come to the UK board and defend his team. Literally every post he's had since starting the account has been defending or rationalizing/justifying these Duke players.
He is a duke fan. He uses that same handle on their board. If not, a very similar one.

Because we haven’t had a class this good other than ‘12...
It's true, and I could go a step further and say that we haven't had a team this balanced since 2011-12.

Aside from the amazing talent of Anthony Davis and the all around game of Kidd Gilchrist, the balance we needed was provided by Doron Lamb and Darius Miller. Terrence Jones was a solid contributor and Marquis Teague was a serviceable point guard, not elite. The key to that team was balance, inside and out and young talent and veteran leadership. That's what we have this season.

When you look at Duke, the elite athleticism is clearly there. But the question you have to ask is about the consistent perimeter play and the contributions from veterans. Duke fans say they have veteran leadership there but the rest of us aren't seeing it.

The only thing I see that will always stay the same with the Dookies is the flopping.

They lost me at having the 3 point shooting ability of the Warriors.

Then I tried again only to read if they were all on the same NBA team it would be the best team in a decade? Seriously? They wouldn't be a top 10 team in the crappy Eastern Division this season.

Last edited:
It's true, and I could go a step further and say that we haven't had a team this balanced since 2011-12.

Aside from the amazing talent of Anthony Davis and the all around game of Kidd Gilchrist, the balance we needed was provided by Doron Lamb and Darius Miller. Terrence Jones was a solid contributor and Marquis Teague was a serviceable point guard, not elite. The key to that team was balance, inside and out and young talent and veteran leadership. That's what we have this season.

When you look at Duke, the elite athleticism is clearly there. But the question you have to ask is about the consistent perimeter play and the contributions from veterans. Duke fans say they have veteran leadership there but the rest of us aren't seeing it.
Javin DeLaurier and Jack White are veteran leaders for Duke who understand their roles and will provide a steadying presence for the freshmen.

The Duke OAD is the most cohesive group I've seen as a Blue Devil amongst all the other groups we've had where everyone has a clearly defined role which I think will be a huge advantage vs Kentucky on Tuesday. The Cats have so much depth that Cal still has to figure out what the best rotations will be and how playing time will be divided.

Tre Jones: pure PG and good on-ball defender
Cameron Reddish: interchangeable wing, good 3 point shooter
RJ Barrett: interchangeable wing, can drive to the rim at will
Williamson: physical force on the low block, willing passer
Bolden: natural center

Javin DeLaurier and Jack White are veteran leaders for Duke who understand their roles and will provide a steadying presence for the freshmen.

The Duke OAD is the most cohesive group I've seen as a Blue Devil amongst all the other groups we've had where everyone has a clearly defined role which I think will be a huge advantage vs Kentucky on Tuesday. The Cats have so much depth that Cal still has to figure out what the best rotations will be and how playing time will be divided.

"Bless your heart." [laughing]

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Natural center? Naturally awful center maybe? White and DeLaurier are veteran leaders huh? Ok.

https://www.theringer.com/college-b...8/duke-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-cam-reddish

"Coach K has had some incredible recruiting classes over the last few seasons. This group could be the best of all of them. The Blue Devils have a chance to be a next-generation hybrid of the Heat and the Warriors at the college level, combining the athleticism of the former with the 3-point shooting ability of the latter. There’s no way to know what Zion, Barrett, and Reddish will become at the next level, but their skill sets fit perfectly with the direction the sport is headed. An NBA team with all three might be the best team in the league in a decade. They have the chance to do something special as teenagers. They might not be on another team with this much talent for a long time."
40-0

If Duke's wings shoot the ball like Nova did in '16/'18, I'll concede the title to Duke now.

But that's a big "if", and you know it.

Duke doesn’t need to shoot it as well. Duke just need to shoot it well enough that zoning or collapsing into the lane will get that team beat. Come out and get close, we all know each of those three will be a problem for anyone who dares to do so.

Duke doesn’t need to shoot it as well. Duke just need to shoot it well enough that zoning or collapsing into the lane will get that team beat. Come out and get close, we all know each of those three will be a problem for anyone who dares to do so.

You make the formula sound so easy. I'm sure similar projections were said about the Parker/Hood, Bagley/Allen and Tatum/Kennard teams.

I love the optimism though.

In fact, I think you should slap the floor after your next awesome post.

You make the formula sound so easy. I'm sure similar projections were said about the Parker/Hood, Bagley/Allen and Tatum/Kennard teams.

I love the optimism though.

You win some you lose some. Those predictions did work in 15, so let’s see what happens.

You win some you lose some. Those predictions did work in 15, so let’s see what happens.
You mean one of the biggest **** jobs in the history of college ball? I mean it literally was just that. SDSU, Utah, Gonzaga and a not so great 7 seeded Michigan State?! Put that duke team in UK's region and they never even sniff the Final Four. It must be amazing to be able to win national titles simply because the powers that be set it up perfectly for your team to win. Then the referees fall right in line with the BS. Thump your chest all you want over 2015, but that's the most counterfeit national champion in recent memory.

I swear, I wish I could somehow pull up the archives of the Vegas insider who was interviewed on ESpin saying that it was gonna be close to impossible for UK to win that title and that it was all setup for duke to win. Yeah, that really happened. What a fake ass program you pull for.

Oh I know. I just thought regarding Zion, Reddish, and Barrett as “redundant wing players” was kind of silly.

I don’t think it’s right to call them redundant. But I think 2 of them would rather drive to the hole, and the other will likely take a backseat...possibly to your detriment.

If those three guys keep everything clicking and convert on what the defense gives them then I’m sure you’ll have a fun year.

My guess would be they will look unstoppable at times, and like overmatched freshmen at others. And Jay Bilas will be squawking on the second Saturday in March about how you deserve a one seed despite finishing third in the ACC.

ExS6BG.gif

[laughing] #BrotherHood

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone spin a team that goes 9-deep with little, if any, drop off 1 through 9 as a disadvantage, but that's what you just did. Yes, Cal has to "struggle" playing 9 guys while Coach K has the "luxury" of playing 7 guys 200 minutes, 3 of which are at a level below everyone on UK's first 9. You're a hoot my friend. The issue you will have is not the first 30 minutes of the game, but those last 10, when the game will likely be on the line and you're hoping you have no foul trouble amongst your stars and you're hoping their conditioning isn't just equal but superior in every way.

Here's what you must hope. Those 4 freshman need to be able to dominate UK and build an insurmountable lead by midway through the 2nd half while simultaneously saving their energy for that final stretch. They also need to defend without fouling because if even 1 of those 4 is out for any length of time, you're at a serious disadvantage.

Listen friend, you keep touting DeLaurier and Jack White as great players. You should probably stop. Yes, they're serviceable (not huge liabilities) against the garbage opponents these guys have played, but this UK team is another animal. If they can keep from tripping over their own feet in this game, that's about all you can ask.

Reactions: Cindog28
You mean one of the biggest **** jobs in the history of college ball? I mean it literally was just that. SDSU, Utah, Gonzaga and a not so great 7 seeded Michigan State?! Put that duke team in UK's region and they never even sniff the Final Four. It must be amazing to be able to win national titles simply because the powers that be set it up perfectly for your team to win. Then the referees fall right in line with the BS. Thump your chest all you want over 2015, but that's the most counterfeit national champion in recent memory.

I swear, I wish I could somehow pull up the archives of the Vegas insider who was interviewed on ESpin saying that it was gonna be close to impossible for UK to win that title and that it was all setup for duke to win. Yeah, that really happened. What a fake ass program you pull for.
They did beat the team that beat us. Stop making excuses you are making us fans look bad son.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone spin a team that goes 9-deep with little, if any, drop off 1 through 9 as a disadvantage, but that's what you just did. Yes, Cal has to "struggle" playing 9 guys while Coach K has the "luxury" of playing 7 guys 200 minutes, 3 of which are at a level below everyone on UK's first 9. You're a hoot my friend. The issue you will have is not the first 30 minutes of the game, but those last 10, when the game will likely be on the line and you're hoping you have no foul trouble amongst your stars and you're hoping their conditioning isn't just equal but superior in every way.

Here's what you must hope. Those 4 freshman need to be able to dominate UK and build an insurmountable lead by midway through the 2nd half while simultaneously saving their energy for that final stretch. They also need to defend without fouling because if even 1 of those 4 is out for any length of time, you're at a serious disadvantage.

Listen friend, you keep touting DeLaurier and Jack White as great players. You should probably stop. Yes, they're serviceable (not huge liabilities) against the garbage opponents these guys have played, but this UK team is another animal. If they can keep from tripping over their own feet in this game, that's about all you can ask.
This Duke team team has more defined roles than the Cats right now, I'm not sure how that can be disputed.

Who's going to be the main PG for Cal: Hagans, Quickley or Green?

Will Keldon Johnson start at the 3 like he should or will Cal opt to go with PJ there?

Is it better to start Richards at the 5 or Travis?

Cal is a master at getting everyone to buy in but it could take some time.

They did beat the team that beat us. Stop making excuses you are making us fans look bad son.
Lol you're a chump, son. I'll just go ahead and put that out there right off the jump. I'm not making excuses. It's the truth. Kentucky had to play a gauntlet and we were the overall number 1 seed. Probably the most unbalanced bracket I have ever seen.

They had four of the top five teams in the country on one side: Kentucky, Wisconsin, Arizona and Notre Dame. That's not even counting a blue blood program like Kansas that was the 2 seed in our region. Guess who was the only top five team on the other side? You guessed it, your duke blue devils.

I don't remember that ever happening before, four or the top five teams in the country all on the same side. Hell, the committee even stated that they were trying to find someone that could beat Kentucky, either during the selection show or immediately after. Kentucky simply wasn't allowed to win that title. There was too much money involved. At the end of the day it really comes down to that, money.

Also, in regards to duke beating the team that beat us. It's no secret that duke received the calls against Wisconsin that Wisconsin received against Kentucky just two days prior. Wisconsin got a huge push from the refs against Kentucky. Then, in the title game, duke got that same push against Wisconsin. The entire country watched that replay where the ball went out of bounds off Winslow, yet they gave the possession to duke. There were a few more calls that duke benefited from late in the game that were horrible calls. I can't remember off the top of my head. I just remember them basically giving the game to duke in the last five minutes of that game. It was obvious to anyone that was watching.

Beat that team TWICE. Once on their home floor. Bottom line is that the Cats had two opportunities to get in the way of Duke’s last two titles. Only had to win one more game. Guess what, YOU DID NOT GET IT DONE. Duke got it done. Whatever it is you have to tell yourself to help swallow that then god bless you.

Reactions: Jpthegame
Beat that team TWICE. Once on their home floor. Bottom line is that the Cats had two opportunities to get in the way of Duke’s last two titles. Only had to win one more game. Guess what, YOU DID NOT GET IT DONE. Duke got it done. Whatever it is you have to tell yourself to help swallow that then god bless you.
Not hard to do when you get the referee push y'all receive. That was the worst and most inconsistently officiated Final Four I have ever witnessed. It's not just me, the majority of people would agree with me.

My take.

And last year I was proven to be an expert on such matters.

There is no way a team as talented as this Duke team can lose. Top three recruits. Jones. Bolden will average a double double himself. Add in Coach K. Any team that stays within 25 should hang a banner. Take it from me, they can't lose.

Lol you're a chump, son. I'll just go ahead and put that out there right off the jump. I'm not making excuses. It's the truth. Kentucky had to play a gauntlet and we were the overall number 1 seed. Probably the most unbalanced bracket I have ever seen.

They had four of the top five teams in the country on one side: Kentucky, Wisconsin, Arizona and Notre Dame. That's not even counting a blue blood program like Kansas that was the 2 seed in our region. Guess who was the only top five team on the other side? You guessed it, your duke blue devils.

I don't remember that ever happening before, four or the top five teams in the country all on the same side. Hell, the committee even stated that they were trying to find someone that could beat Kentucky, either during the selection show or immediately after. Kentucky simply wasn't allowed to win that title. There was too much money involved. At the end of the day it really comes down to that, money.

Also, in regards to duke beating the team that beat us. It's no secret that duke received the calls against Wisconsin that Wisconsin received against Kentucky just two days prior. Wisconsin got a huge push from the refs against Kentucky. Then, in the title game, duke got that same push against Wisconsin. The entire country watched that replay where the ball went out of bounds off Winslow, yet they gave the possession to duke. There were a few more calls that duke benefited from late in the game that were horrible calls. I can't remember off the top of my head. I just remember them basically giving the game to duke in the last five minutes of that game. It was obvious to anyone that was watching.

“Loaded brackets” are a myth. You don’t play all of those teams. You play one. Every team plays good teams (or an on fire lower seed that has pulled an upset) from the 16 on.
Blaming the refs is extra weak and also very convenient. Were you pissed at the terrible block/charge call on carter last year that kept Duke out of the final four? Of course not.

“Loaded brackets” are a myth. You don’t play all of those teams. You play one. Every team plays good teams (or an on fire lower seed that has pulled an upset) from the 16 on.
Blaming the refs is extra weak and also very convenient. Were you pissed at the terrible block/charge call on carter last year that kept Duke out of the final four? Of course not.

[roll]

Guys think just because you didn’t play a NAME program (Kansas, UNC, UK, Michigan State (oh my fault) that it means your bracket was easy. Lol at that comedy. That kind of talk is for losers who don’t know the game nor the history of the tournament

First off, that particular play was a block. His body was still moving. What about the play where the ball went out on duke but the refs still awarded y'all the ball instead of KU? Or the numerous other terrible calls that went duke's way? Truth is, they tried every way in the world to give duke that game against KU last year. Literally every questionable call went duke's way other than the one that y'all have cried about all offseason that involved Carter. You know, the one you just referenced. Hell, your fanbase even went as far as making a t shirt about said play.

Bet you can't think of another questionable call in that game that duke didn't benefit from. Matter of fact, bet you can't think of another crucial tourney call in the past thirty years that didn't favor duke in one way or another. It's real cute that you duke fans always cite the Carter block/charge play constantly, though. It's truly and utterly humorous and ridiculous.

The only thing that saved KU was the fact that Malik Newman became unconscious and made everything he threw up. If it wasn't for that, just chalk up another tourney win for duke aided by help from the refs.

Last edited:

I love any call that keeps Duke out of the Final Four. If it was really the wrong call and you’re still crying about it, even better. [laughing]

I love any call that keeps Duke out of the Final Four. If it was really the wrong call and you’re still crying about it, even better. [laughing]
It was a bang-bang call, but it was the correct call IMO. IIRC, Carter's foot, I believe it was, was still moving when the contact occurred. That would result in it being a block, as you well know.

Out of all the fanbases in America, one would think that duke fans would know the block/charge rule better than any other. Of course the rules are thrown out the window regarding duke, so I'll give them a pass for not knowing the rule(s).

If only they had to endure a small portion of the horrible game changing, season ending calls that us UK fans have been forced to, they wouldn't even be duke fans anymore. They would have already hung it up and found a different team in which to cheer for. I mean they are the biggest bandwagon fanbase in sports and it's not particularly close, either.

Edit : Here's to hoping that duke's season ends on a crucial game changing and controversial call this year. Would love for them to be forced to lose at the hands of the officials several more times. Maybe then they'll understand where we're coming from. Not likey, but a man can dream, right?!

Last edited:
I like our length, quickness and muscle on D. Not sure if it shows on Tuesday but it will make an appearance by March.

It was a bang-bang call, but it was the correct call IMO. IIRC, Carter's foot I believe it was, was still moving when the contact occurred. That would result in it being a block, as you well know.

Out of all the fanbases in America, one would think that duke fans would know the block/charge rule better than any other. Of course the rules are thrown out the window regarding duke, so I'll give them a pass for not knowing the rule(s).

If only they had to endure a small portion of the horrible game changing, season ending calls that us UK fans have been forced to, they would t even be duke fans anymore. They would have already hung it up and found a different team in which to cheer for. I mean they are the biggest bang wagon fanbase in sports and it's not particularly close, either.
Everyone knows that Duke gets the calls from officials and special treatment from the selection committee.I think even the Duke fans know it but they aren't going to admit it.K has orchestrated that over the past 20 years.The media(particularly ESPN) has fostered and legitimized the Duke bias for whatever reason.

In the past few years it has taken on a new twist,first Grayson Allen's antics were condoned( I won't even go back to Laettner and his horse shit) then Bagley and Duvall getting academically eligible + the money involved.Now the Williamson show and issue

I would love to see Duke be forced to play by the rules that most others do but that won't happen as long as K is there.The sooner he is gone from college basketball the better it will be for the game.I truly believe that and look forward to that day.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Duke gets the calls from officials and special treatment from the selection committee.I think even the Duke fans know it but they aren't going to admit it.K has orchestrated that over the past 20 years.The media(particularly ESPN) has fostered and legitimized the Duke bias for whatever reason.

In the past few years it has taken on a new twist,first Grayson Allen's antics were condoned( I won't even go back to Laettner and his horse shit) then Bagley and Duvall getting academically eligible + the money involved.Now the Williamson show and issue

I would love to see duke be forced to play be the rules that most others do but that won't happen as long as K is there.The sooner he is gone from college basketball the better it will be for the game.I truly believe that and look forward to that day.
I'm right there with ya, bud. Right there with ya.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT