ADVERTISEMENT

The Original Big “O”

Woodsmoke

Sophomore
Feb 27, 2023
A96-FF9-F5-3-D64-4-CF3-842-E-EBE93078-A55-B.jpg

Averaged a Triple Double for an entire season in 1961-62. 30pts 12 Rebs 11 Assts

He was one incredible player who doesn't seem to get as much acclaim as some others players from years ago. Just don't see as much talk about him as others. Yes, he's remembered as a great player but I don't feel he is as honored or revered as much as some from his era and just a few years after him.

He was one incredible player who doesn't seem to get as much acclaim as some others players from years ago. Just don't see as much talk about him as others. Yes, he's remembered as a great player but I don't feel he is as honored or revered as much as some from his era and just a few years after him.
His one handed free throw shooting form was unorthodox but he was a career 83% ft shooter.

00-DA81-CF-1-D96-4-FA2-A061-9-F662-BFE7-A83.webp

Was lucky enough to see him play several times at Cincinnati Gardens growing up. If you were teaching a little kid how to shoot the ball with and hold the ball, tips of your fingers, release, follow through...you had them watch O and his release. He was one of the best.

He still lives somewhere in the Cincinnati area and is often seen at UC Bearcat home basketball games. And, of course, he's an absolute legend around this town.

Many years ago I saw him at my place of work. I work for a large wholesale electrical parts distributor. At the time we had a lighting center where we would offer layout services for people wanting to re-do their indoor, outdoor or landscaping lighting. He came in with his contractor to pick out stuff for his house. Word spread quickly that he was in the building. I managed to make my way downstairs to the lobby just as he was about to leave. I got to shake his hand, and I'm pretty sure I said something like, "I'm a big fan!". It may have been total gibberish, I don't know. I was star-struck, for sure.

One of the teams the Milan team (the inspiration for the Hickory Huskers in “Hoosiers”) beat on the way to the 1954 state championship was Crispus Attucks, led by sophomore guard Oscar Robertson.

I always wondered why they left that out of the movie.

Over the following two seasons, Attucks would go 62-1 and win back-to-back titles - with Robertson taking home the Mr. Basketball award his senior season.

He still lives somewhere in the Cincinnati area and is often seen at UC Bearcat home basketball games. And, of course, he's an absolute legend around this town.

Many years ago I saw him at my place of work. I work for a large wholesale electrical parts distributor. At the time we had a lighting center where we would offer layout services for people wanting to re-do their indoor, outdoor or landscaping lighting. He came in with his contractor to pick out stuff for his house. Word spread quickly that he was in the building. I managed to make my way downstairs to the lobby just as he was about to leave. I got to shake his hand, and I'm pretty sure I said something like, "I'm a big fan!". It may have been total gibberish, I don't know. I was star-struck, for sure.
I had a similar run-in with a famous football coach. I was working for Greg Sachs Autopark in Frankfort and one Monday morning I walked by the service check in and Buddy Ryan was there getting his car serviced. He reached out and introduced himself (like I didn't know who he was). I started a conversation about the Ravens because one of his sons was an assistant coach there (I think Rex). Buddy launched into this profanity laced mini-tirade about how the GD. Sons of Bit*hes weren't worth a GD. I was like wow, that's the real Buddy Ryan. Other than the vulgarity, he was a pleasant person. Very down to earth.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I remember reading somewhere that he liked Kentucky in high school.

Is there any truth to this?

I remember reading somewhere that he liked Kentucky in high school.

Is there any truth to this?

Only thing I remember about his HS days is that his freshman or sophomore year team was the basis for the losing team in Hoosiers. They lost to Milan in early/mid '50s.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
My hero, Bill Russell, once said there were 2 players that he would not try to block if they were about to dunk the ball because "they would break your damn hand".

One was Wilt, the other was Oscar Robertson.

The Big O was Magic, before there was a Magic. First ever to average a triple double for a season, back when assists were really assists and there was no 3pt line. He also had 2 seasons where he missed that achievement by less than a half an assist per game and 2 other seasons that he missed it by less than 1 rebound per game.

One of the greatest ever.

My hero, Bill Russell, once said there were 2 players that he would not try to block if they were about to dunk the ball because "they would break your damn hand".

One was Wilt, the other was Oscar Robertson.

The Big O was Magic, before there was a Magic. First ever to average a triple double for a season, back when assists were really assists and there was no 3pt line. He also had 2 seasons where he missed that achievement by less than a half an assist per game and 2 other seasons that he missed it by less than 1 rebound per game.

One of the greatest ever.
He did average a triple double over five seasons.

Because he played in Cincinnati, not NYC, BOS, or LA

Because he played in Cincinnati, not NYC, BOS, or LA
Yes. Kinda like Vern Fleming who was an Olympic Gold Medal winner for our USA, led Georgia to the Final Four, and had a long career with Indianapolis. I always thought had he played in NYC, BOS, LA...one of the big markets, he would have been a superstar.

Reactions: grevey35
He was one incredible player who doesn't seem to get as much acclaim as some others players from years ago.
The emergence of Magic and Jordan is what pushed him back in the discussion.

I remember as a 70s/80s kid when it was universally accepted that Oscar and West were the two greatest guards of all time, and all discussions of the greatest players of all time basically began with the same four names: Wilt, Russell, Oscar and West.

But then Magic and Jordan came along and totally changed the GOAT guard discussion. Magic basically looked like a bigger and even better version of Oscar ...so there's was no longer nearly as much reason to discuss the Big O.

But, hey, O was still first. Nobody can take away being the first of your kind.

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT