ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Last edited:
So that being said.. our US water polo goalie was ass. She gave up a huge lead and couldn't stop a single shot attempt in the shoot out.

But on top of that, the shots on goal for her (as opposed to the shots on their goal), we're much more defendable, from the looks of it. Our shooters were firing corner shots mostly, where their goalie had to guess which side, and hope she could reach in time, just like if this was soccer. But the shots on our goalie were repeated skip shots that our goalie just had no answer for. They weren't out of her reach, they werent too fast.. she just could not figure them out. It was like watching a bad UK player get burned time abd time again on pump fakes. She would jump, and they would almost shoot it right underneath her outstretched arms.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
So that being said.. our US water polo goalie was ass. She gave up a huge lead and couldn't stop a single shot attempt in the shoot out.

But on top of that, the shots on goal for her (as opposed to the shots on their goal), we're much more defendable, from the looks of it. Our shooters were firing corner shots mostly, where their goalie had to guess which side, and hope she could reach in time, just like if this was soccer. But the shots on our goalie were repeated skip shots that our goalie just had no answer for. They weren't out of her reach, they werent too fast.. she just could not figure them out. It was like watching a bad UK player get burned time abd time again on pump fakes. She would jump, and they would almost shoot it right underneath her outstretched arms.

“From the looks of it” lol. From the looks of it I think I could take that Chinese guy in ping pong and those hurdles Sydney ran don’t look that high. All I know about water polo is that if I tried to tread water while wrestling a guy for position and throwing a ball I’d drown after like 8 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: JDHoss
“From the looks of it” lol. From the looks of it I think I could take that Chinese guy in ping pong and those hurdles Sydney ran don’t look that high. All I know about water polo is that if I tried to tread water while wrestling a guy for position and throwing a ball I’d drown after like 8 minutes.

I absolutely hate this take, Ronald.

Because I'm not saying that I, myself, can play this game.. but I can recognize that there's likely someone better out in the sea of 300 MILLION Americans. Both can be true: she's far better than me, but there's likely better than her.

I don't know why common people can't have the opinion that someone out there might be better, just because we aren't as good as them. So in this sense, everyone who doesn't Ski here, technically has zero right to critique my skiing and comment that others might be better than me? That's just silly to me.

Was watching women's golf last night. I like Korda, nice smooth swing. She was tied for 2nd at -6 at #16. Tried to take a little off a 9 iron, landed 2' short of green (front pin) ball kicked backwards into pond. Drop area was a wedge away (not a chip) and she put that in the bunker. Then went long out of the bunker (you could hear club hit the ball, not good), to the back fringe. She got a +4 quad (OUCH!!!), dropping her to -2, then finished bogey, birdie. Two more rounds left, but 6 strokes back and about 10 in front of her now.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I absolutely hate this take, Ronald.

Because I'm not saying that I, myself, can play this game.. but I can recognize that there's likely someone better out in the sea of 300 MILLION Americans. Both can be true: she's far better than me, but there's likely better than her.

I don't know why common people can't have the opinion that someone out there might be better, just because we aren't as good as them. So in this sense, everyone who doesn't Ski here, technically has zero right to critique my skiing and comment that others might be better than me? That's just silly to me.

What? I’m saying you, like me, have no f*cking clue what we’re watching when watching something like water polo, and most of your critiques are based on absolutely zero idea of WTF you’re talking about. I appreciate water polo HOT TAKES as much as the next guy but I found your “I can’t believe THIS is the goalie the balls thrown at her looked easy!” pretty damn funny. Basically like an SNL skit where a bunch of guys are sitting around talking shit about the 3rd place guy in the 3000M steeplechase

What? I’m saying you, like me, have no f*cking clue what we’re watching when watching something like water polo, and most of your critiques are based on absolutely zero idea of WTF you’re talking about. I appreciate water polo HOT TAKES as much as the next guy but I found your “I can’t believe THIS is the goalie the balls thrown at her looked easy!” pretty damn funny. Basically like an SNL skit where a bunch of guys are sitting around talking shit about the 3rd place guy in the 3000M steeplechase

So I guess we really can't critique them..

It's not exactly hard to glean onto some water polo strategies, why our shootouts look different than theirs, etc

We can critique basketball without any issue, and I get that we watch that far more than water polo.. but after watching several matches and several teams play, we can't pick up on things? We can't call out weak points? Your SNL reference is exactly what I'm talking about, you're insinuating that people like that (or me) are assuming we can do a decent job in this sport.

Was watching women's golf last night. I like Korda, nice smooth swing. She was tied for 2nd at -6 at #16. Tried to take a little off a 9 iron, landed 2' short of green (front pin) ball kicked backwards into pond. Drop area was a wedge away (not a chip) and she put that in the bunker. Then went long out of the bunker (you could hear club hit the ball, not good), to the back fringe. She got a +4 quad (OUCH!!!), dropping her to -2, then finished bogey, birdie. Two more rounds left, but 6 strokes back and about 10 in front of her now.

Interesting..

So I guess we really can't critique them..

It's not exactly hard to glean onto some water polo strategies, why our shootouts look different than theirs, etc

We can critique basketball without any issue, and I get that we watch that far more than water polo.. but after watching several matches and several teams play, we can't pick up on things? We can't call out weak points? Your SNL reference is exactly what I'm talking about, you're insinuating that people like that (or me) are assuming we can do a decent job in this sport.

Man you’re being awful sensitive about me giving you shit about water polo takes. You’re just going to have to deal with the fact that if you come in hot talking shit about a water polo goalie someone is going to give you shit about it. It’s really not any deeper than that

Man you’re being awful sensitive about me giving you shit about water polo takes. You’re just going to have to deal with the fact that if you come in hot talking shit about a water polo goalie someone is going to give you shit about it. It’s really not any deeper than that

Oh if that's the case, I'm fine with that. I get that it's probably silly to care that much about water polo or be that invested in it. I'm fine getting ribbed for that.

But I am just pointing out, not a whole lot different than when we critique other sports to death.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT