ADVERTISEMENT

The law of unintended consequences

As a GM of a R&D organization, I can tell you that all businesses (schools included) must be careful what they ask for. People continually push for big raises and bonuses, and that all comes out of the same balance sheet. Sooner or later organizations have to pay the piper (translation- other people get cut).

As a GM of a R&D organization, I can tell you that all businesses (schools included) must be careful what they ask for. People continually push for big raises and bonuses, and that all comes out of the same balance sheet. Sooner or later organizations have to pay the piper (translation- other people get cut).
I may want to get your thoughts on this and your experiences as a GM if that would a conversation that you would be willing to have

When like 20 executives in the company make enough bonuses to keep a couple 1000 people employees it’s a little ridiculous. I’m all for the free market and agree that some positions may not be needed but when I constantly see people get laid off to promote higher EPS, but the executive bonuses keep rising it’s a little sickening. I know high end jobs are scare, and important. They Are not easily replaced, but I think at some point compensation is a little too much especially when jobs are lost to keep it going. I know this has nothing to do with the tweet just in general.

Yep. You know he’ll figure out a way for himself to get a little extra at the end of the year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yep. Even if it made sense in theory, which it doesn’t because schools don’t pay players, TA&M has more money than God.
Unless it’s to prepare because of that Virginia law. I think that will open the flood gates for schools to outright pay players soon. They are gonna make it totally legal to gain some control back.

This feels a lot like Big Macs getting more expensive and McDonald’s replacing workers with machines even though wages haven’t increased proportionally for anyone but the CEOs.
It’s as if the rich want to stay rich. The less you pay people, the more you squeeze out of them, then the more money you get to keep a rich lifestyle kicking.

Sooner rather than later, people will catch on and do a full stop. It is coming.

Yeah, it makes no sense. Schools can't pay players themselves. Unless the boosters have been funneling money to the general fund? It just makes no sense in general.
I wouldn’t put it past schools. In fact with Adidas schools killing the portal I’d guarantee they are funding much of it. They already tried when NIL was illegal.

LoL the confusion and befuddlement in this thread is hilarious

What Trev is doing is what every AD in the country had BETTER be doing or making concrete plans to do ASAP. 'Student-Athletes' are gonna become paid employees of the University's. Sooner rather than later. Inevitable, has to happen, unstoppable.

lemme help u confused olds:

Where's the money come from? The TV revenues, the conference distributions, the current income. Where's that money going now? Trev showed you - all big schools have bloated employee rosters of dudes making 6 fig salaries who don't coach anyrhing a damn second. What about NIL? It goes back to the true intent, just outside advertising; no more collectives, no more pay for play. Would this eliminate portals & multi transfers. Yup probably! They become contracted employees, contracts can't be easily broken.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
It is window dressing that I would bet people on the inside see as straining out gnats but swallowing camels. I would be shocked if they are laying off anyone who has a salary that would actually move the needle. Either that or the AD has become so bloated that these are obvious lay offs and there will be no negative impacts. My guess is they are being liberal with the definition of "senior staff" too.

Makes no sense. I continue to be amazed how people don't understand the difference between the athletic budget and outside sourced NIL money. Stupid tweet.
Yeah, but they blamed something people hate. Stupid people can be led by the nose to accept anything if you blame the right group or idea. Stupid people already believed it, but the get to blame NIL, so OP turned off his brain even quicker.

This feels a lot like Big Macs getting more expensive and McDonald’s replacing workers with machines even though wages haven’t increased proportionally for anyone but the CEOs.

It feels a lot like what is actually happening?

Great insight.

In Alabama they start at 15 an hour. Guess what every McDonald’s on our major highway has gone to? Self ordering machines. It’s happening whether you deny it is or not.

You’re probably too fancy to hit a drive thru but another thing people see is prices being more for a Big Mac combo than five years ago at Outback Steakhouse.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Money to pay players comes from a different pot than the money to pay university employees.

I'm calling BS

This is what I was thinking. Universities can’t and don’t pay the players.

Sounds like a good thing to blame for when they cut a few $40K a year jobs but still pay coaches, ADs and administrators millions annually.

LoL the confusion and befuddlement in this thread is hilarious

What Trev is doing is what every AD in the country had BETTER be doing or making concrete plans to do ASAP. 'Student-Athletes' are gonna become paid employees of the University's. Sooner rather than later. Inevitable, has to happen, unstoppable.

lemme help u confused olds:

Where's the money come from? The TV revenues, the conference distributions, the current income. Where's that money going now? Trev showed you - all big schools have bloated employee rosters of dudes making 6 fig salaries who don't coach anyrhing a damn second. What about NIL? It goes back to the true intent, just outside advertising; no more collectives, no more pay for play. Would this eliminate portals & multi transfers. Yup probably! They become contracted employees, contracts can't be easily broken.

This. VA's law will usher in changes quickly just as the first few states to pass NIL laws broke the dam. There will be many similar laws to come in other states in 2025. Would be sooner if not for most state legislatures having completed, or wrapping up, their 2024 sessions.

I don't know if the OP tweet is correct or not but people are fooling themselves if they don't think athletic departments are preparing to pay players. It is inevitable at this point and if I were an AD, I'd be figuring out the rough plan now.

Which jobs?

Also, when the athletes become employees, can they be fired mid-season?
Admin in academia is filled with pork.

"Between 1976 and 2018, full-time administrators and other professionals employed by those institutions increased by 164% and 452%, respectively. Meanwhile, the number of full-time faculty employed at colleges and universities in the U.S. increased by only 92%, marginally outpacing student enrollment which grew by 78%.

When we look at individual schools the numbers are just as striking. A recent report I authored found that on average, the top 50 schools have 1 faculty per 11 students whereas the same institutions have 1 non-faculty employee per 4 students. Put another way, there are now 3 times as many administrators and other professionals (not including university hospitals staff), as there are faculty (on a per student basis) at the leading schools in country.

California Institute of Technology, Duke University, and the University of California at San Diego actually have more non-faculty employees on campus than students. It is important to note this does not include consultants and contractors, many of whom work with university admissions and marketing offices to boost enrollments."

Also, when the athletes become employees, can they be fired mid-season?
Aren't they already if a coach wants it so?

Reactions: JHB4UK
It feels a lot like what is actually happening?

Great insight.

In Alabama they start at 15 an hour. Guess what every McDonald’s on our major highway has gone to? Self ordering machines. It’s happening whether you deny it is or not.

You’re probably too fancy to hit a drive thru but another thing people see is prices being more for a Big Mac combo than five years ago at Outback Steakhouse.

I have read this four times and still don’t know if you had something you wanted to add, if you’re agreeing or disagreeing, or if you intended to come across like a dick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT