ADVERTISEMENT

The Higgins Bias is No Secret - Seth Greenberg Agrees

BlueWorldOrder74

All-American
Oct 9, 2015
Lexington
Interesting comversation from Seth Greenberg yesterday on College Sports Radio on Sirius XM 84. The host and Seth were discussing Higgins Gate, and the host was (can't remember his name) bashing BBN for trashing Higgins Facebook Rooferies page. He was saying it was disgusting and over the top. Seth Greenberg interrupts:

Seth goes on a diatribe, saying wait a minute, these fans aren't stupid. They see the bias there. Basically, he went on to say that the first half calls were atrocious. He goes on about the bad calls in the UCONN game, as well as the calls in the Wisconsin game. He talked about how certain coaches (implying Cal) and certain refs (implying Higgins) just don't get along. He said its known that some refs (Higgins) hold grudges, have memories that affect their calls, and how it's not right. He describes how some refs, even though they may be over the top with antics (TV Teddy he mentioned by name), but they get the calls right. And then there are some refs that have an agenda based on past interactions.

Seth did say that he wouldn't trash a Facebook page, but said it's a public space and if fans want to do it, he can't see a reason he should tell them to stop. It was amazing to hear, he basically backed up the idea that Higgins is biased, has cost us three tournament games and has issues with Cal. Basically saying he doesn't like Cal and his play calling is indicative of that.

People, the bias is known. Not just by us, and it's good to hear a former coach admit as much. I have a new respect for Seth. If anyone doesn't believe that Higgins has it out for Cal, think again.

Interesting comversation from Seth Greenberg yesterday on College Sports Radio on Sirius XM 84. The host and Seth were discussing Higgins Gate, and the host was (can't remember his name) bashing BBN for trashing Higgins Facebook Rooferies page. He was saying it was disgusting and over the top. Seth Greenberg interrupts:

Seth goes on a diatribe, saying wait a minute, these fans aren't stupid. They see the bias there. Basically, he went on to say that the first half calls were atrocious. He goes on about the bad calls in the UCONN game, as well as the calls in the Wisconsin game. He talked about how certain coaches (implying Cal) and certain refs (implying Higgins) just don't get along. He said its known that some refs (Higgins) hold grudges, have memories that affect their calls, and how it's not right. He describes how some refs, even though they may be over the top with antics (TV Teddy he mentioned by name), but they get the calls right. And then there are some refs that have an agenda based on past interactions.

Seth did say that he wouldn't trash a Facebook page, but said it's a public space and if fans want to do it, he can't see a reason he should tell them to stop. It was amazing to hear, he basically backed up the idea that Higgins is biased, has cost us three tournament games and has issues with Cal. Basically saying he doesn't like Cal and his play calling is indicative of that.

People, the bias is known. Not just by us, and it's good to hear a former coach admit as much. I have a new respect for Seth. If anyone doesn't believe that Higgins has it out for Cal, think again.
That's interesting - thx. Which show was he on - who was the host?

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Officials/John_Higgins.html

If you check out this link, you will discover that Higgins has done 2 Elite 8 games and 2 FF games that we played in. We lost ALL 4. The only tournament games that we won were in the early rounds when he was one of the refs.

Yeah, if he is the ref, we beat EKU and Cornell but lose to Mich St, UConn, Wisconsin and UNC!

Judging by comments on social media sunday, multiple media personalities agreed the calls were bad, but the problem is where they are allowed to say this.

Seth will never bring this up on ESPN. No one will bring it up on CBS this weekend. No one will talk about it Fox. Just like the UNC scandal. They would all talk about it privately but when they got on their employer 's airwaves...silence.

When he is not on ESPN, he has completely different takes (many topics). I wonder which is his real view. Or if any if his views are real...does he say things for to appease bosses on ESPN, and then another to appease fans?

Judging by comments on social media sunday, multiple media personalities agreed the calls were bad, but the problem is where they are allowed to say this.

Seth will never bring this up on ESPN. No one will bring it up on CBS this weekend. No one will talk about it Fox. Just like the UNC scandal. They would all talk about it privately but when they got on their employer 's airwaves...silence.
Didn't see this before my post.

He has literally cost us 2 likely titles out of the 4 games he has manipulated. And don't think mark emmert isn't aware of their mutual bias and sticks his fingers in ref selection. For you military folks out there it's essentially the same as Commanders Intent. If you establish a clear CI then your subordinates don't need constant direction because the end game is clear

Haven't listened to or watched any sports shows since Sunday....the wound is still too fresh and I just don't want to hear anything about college basketball until after the Final Four is over and the talking heads move on to the next shiny object....Glad to hear Seth is somewhat calling out Higgins, though. At the very least, the fan outcry might remove Higgins from consideration in ever calling another UK NCAAT game --- that's good enough for me. Anything beyond is gravy.

Haven't listened to or watched any sports shows since Sunday....the wound is still too fresh and I just don't want to hear anything about college basketball until after the Final Four is over and the talking heads move on to the next shiny object....Glad to hear Seth is somewhat calling out Higgins, though. At the very least, the fan outcry might remove Higgins from consideration in ever calling another UK NCAAT game --- that's good enough for me. Anything beyond is gravy.

Agree 100%. Just glad he wasn't one of the refs when we won the title.

Higgins may hold a grudge against Cal but must have held one against UK also, going back to the Tubby era.[winking]

Higgins may hold a grudge against Cal but must have held one against UK also, going back to the Tubby era.[winking]
I've known plenty of people over the years who don't like UK.....just because.
Just like people don't like Bama, the Yankees or the Lakers.

Appreciate Mr. Greenberg's support! Anyone know how to get a clip of that audio?

Also, I mentioned this elsewhere but find it relevant here: Rex Chapman is not letting it go, either. He's tweeted several times about it at www.twitter.com/rexchapman. Yes, he's one of us, but he has a loud microphone and isn't ashamed to use it for the BBN. With him being a former player, it's apparent he's taking it really hard for our team that just needed a fair chance, a fair call.

I, for one, am not ready to let this go. Higgins must be stopped. Go 'Cats!

When you say, "cost us three tournament games", it most likely means three National Championships. The one against UConn was given, since it was a final game, but the one against Wisconsin was almost a sure thing, and I would have really liked our chances, this year. So, Higgins costs us three National Championships, in six years, and people wonder why BBN is going nuts? All because he is petty, and cannot be professional. More than his facebook page needs to be trashed.

Last edited:
When you say, "cost us three tournament games", it most likely means three National Championships. The one against UConn was given, since it was a final game, but the one against Wisconsin was almost a sure thing, and I would have really liked our chances, this year. So, Higgins costs us three National Championships, in six years, and people wonder why BBN is going nuts? All because his is petty, and cannot be professional. More than his facebook page needs to be trashed.
Somebody keeps assigning Higgins to do these games,they know the score between Cal/UK and Higgins.One would have to think he is there for a reason.the NCAA doesn't want us to catch UCLA and they want Duke or UNC to catch us,your boy K is running out of time but if you drag the UNC scandal out long enough maybe they have a chance.

Really all I care about at this point too. He simply should be banned from calling UK games period much less in the NCAAT. Getting a few bad calls here and there is one thing but he clearly had an agenda in the first half. It was so bad I do believe he was told to call it off in the 2nd half.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Officials/John_Higgins.html

If you check out this link, you will discover that Higgins has done 2 Elite 8 games and 2 FF games that we played in. We lost ALL 4. The only tournament games that we won were in the early rounds when he was one of the refs.

Yeah, if he is the ref, we beat EKU and Cornell but lose to Mich St, UConn, Wisconsin and UNC!
If I recall correctly, wasn't that Cornell game close in the first half - as in closer than we expected? Would be interested to re-watch that game and see if Higgins tried a little manipulation, but UK was just too strong (and Cornell much too weak) in the second half to let his first half attempts sway the game much.

Last edited:
Somebody keeps assigning Higgins to do these games,they know the score between Cal/UK and Higgins.One would have to think he is there for a reason.the NCAA doesn't want us to catch UCLA and they want Duke or UNC to catch us,your boy K is running out of time but if you drag the UNC scandal out long enough maybe they have a chance.
I think what they don't want is continued, annual success with the one-and-done "system". They want the 4-year upperclassmen teams to be in the Final Four. Notice the teams that remain this year aren't one-and-done teams...it isn't coincidence, it's manipulated via seeding, region placement, and referee assignments to fit certain higher-up agendas in the NCAA to make sure kids "using" the system for OAD don't run all over the "traditional" 4-year kids.

Unless of course it's Duke using OADs...then it's ingenious and K is "adaptive" and a master.

I think what they don't want is continued, annual success with the one-and-done "system". They want the 4-year upperclassmen teams to be in the Final Four. Notice the teams that remain this year aren't one-and-done teams...it isn't coincidence, it's manipulated via seeding, region placement, and referee assignments to fit certain higher-up agendas in the NCAA to make sure kids "using" the system for OAD don't run all over the "traditional" 4-year kids.
Probably some of both.

If I recall correctly, wasn't that Cornell game close in the first half - as in closer than we expected? Would be interested to re-watch that game and see if Higgins tried a little manipulation, but UK was just too strong in the second half to let his first half attempts sway the game much.

62-45 final. Cats with 17 fouls total, Cornell with 22. Demarcus picked up 4, only played in foul trouble. They did keep it closer in the first half. Best part about that game came in the days before...

If I recall correctly, wasn't that Cornell game close in the first half - as in closer than we expected? Would be interested to re-watch that game and see if Higgins tried a little manipulation, but UK was just too strong in the second half to let his first half attempts sway the game much.

Higgins called the Cornell game very similar..A LOT of no calls for Cornell..UK getting ticky tack crap called on them..he allowed Cornell to play very physical almost a football style basketball game. Thankfully, UK was just too big, fast, and athletic for Cornell and we pulled away with after the 7 something timeout in the 2nd half. I do believe that game took it's toll on UK against West Virginia in the next in the Elite 8.

Higgins called the Cornell game very similar..A LOT of no calls for Cornell..UK getting ticky tack crap called on them..he allowed Cornell to play very physical almost a football style basketball game. Thankfully, UK was just too big, fast, and athletic for Cornell and we pulled away with after the 7 something timeout in the 2nd half. I do believe that game took it's toll on UK against West Virginia in the next in the Elite 8.

I think netting only 22 player fouls total in a game against that 2010 team shows the story there. Cornell was freakishly outmatched that game with athleticism, they were hacking, grabbing, and bulldozing our guys all game long.

I think netting only 22 player fouls total in a game against that 2010 team shows the story there. Cornell was freakishly outmatched that game with athleticism, they were hacking, grabbing, and bulldozing our guys all game long.

Higgins didn't get the job done vs. Cornell..so his buddy and boss, Curtis Shaw, took care (Very obviously..UGH.) of UK vs. West Virginia in the Elite 8. Giving Liggins a bogus technical foul, following John Wall at halftime, calling a shit game on UK, etc.. Just so obvious. Cheating and corrupt pieces of crap !!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT