ADVERTISEMENT

The Greatest Tennis 🎾 Player of All Time?

Laver.

Lefty one hand backhand
200 titles
3 Australian, 2 French, 2 US Open, 4 Wimbledon
1st man to a million

OB-YV121_adidas_G_20130908141808.jpg
He's the "Wilt Chamberlain" of tennis.

Dominated like no one else... but everyone has forgotten or they write him off as "he could never compete with today's players blah blah blah".

If you believe that sexist reporter that somehow got John McEnroe in trouble a few years back it's Serena. Sexist being the key word.

What's even funnier about that situation was that Serena was asked how she'd do against Andy Murray (who'd won Wimbledon the same year as she did) and she said she probably wouldn't get a single game. She said the men's game was a completely different game than the women's. At least SHE has a bit of perspective vs. the idiot reporter.

What's even funnier about that situation was that Serena was asked how she'd do against Andy Murray (who'd won Wimbledon the same year as she did) and she said she probably wouldn't get a single game. She said the men's game was a completely different game than the women's. At least SHE has a bit of perspective vs. the idiot reporter.

Her and Venus lost to a dude ranked outside the top 200, 6-1, 6-2...after he warmed up by playing a round of golf and drinking lager. He was still sipping beers and smoking cigarettes during changeovers. 1998.

He's the "Wilt Chamberlain" of tennis.

Dominated like no one else... but everyone has forgotten or they write him off as "he could never compete with today's players blah blah blah".
Tennis in this era is essentially not the same sport it was in the 60s. He used a wooden racquet. As a 5’8” serve and volley player he’d be overpowered. It’s hard to say whether he could compete in the modern era, but it’s a fact that he’d have to play an entirely different game than he did.

OT but why does American men's tennis suck so bad? No contenders for semis in the last 10/15 years. Hard to understand that at one time we had Sampras, Courier, Agassi, Chang and now we have nothing. Rarely see an American man reach a major semi. American woman are always contenders, but men are not at all.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
OT but why does American men's tennis suck so bad? No contenders for semis in the last 10/15 years. Hard to understand that at one time we had Sampras, Courier, Agassi, Chang and now we have nothing. Rarely see an American man reach a major semi. American woman are always contenders, but men are not at all.

Andy Roddick made a final/couple SF in the last 15 years and don’t forget about Sam Querrey making Wimbledon Semis!!!

But agree with your point.

Last year an American male won a slam was the same year Agassi won a slam. It’s ridiculous.

Kind of hard to play pick-up tennis and there are too many options for the best athletes to play something else cheaper and more convenient.

I can't go against Federer if you dream up a Tennis player he would be the dude you create.

I know Nadal and Novak are popular choices as well... however Nadal as great as he is has the majority of his wins on Clay. Novak I personally feel got rolling when these two elites got old to no fault of his own.

I can't go against Federer if you dream up a Tennis player he would be the dude you create.

I know Nadal and Novak are popular choices as well... however Nadal as great as he is has the majority of his wins on Clay. Novak I personally feel got rolling when these two elites got old to no fault of his own.
To be fair to Novak, you could equally say Roger stopped rolling as soon as the other two got good.

I think Novak’s game might be best for today’s game. Roger’s is probably more timeless. Nadal’s is probably the most unique.

Reactions: kyeric and DraftCat
Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Sampras. In that order. Best female ever was Steffi Graf.

I've always wondered why Steffi Graf seems to be almost overlooked anymore.

Last edited:
I’m talking about before that, when he had multiple slumps, partially because of injuries but also mentally dumb stuff like using crystal meth lol.

Perhaps I’m being a bit unfair to Andre, however Pete Sampras lived in his head rent free for a good 20 years, I think of that there’s no doubt.

I remember this idiotic quote from his book, as he was shaking Sampras hand at the net having lost the USO final, he claims to have been thinking: I may have lost, but I saw him give a bad tip the other night at the restaurant, so at least I’m not a horrible person!

I guess Andre was the original “champion of life”, Butch Jones would be proud.

You do realize Agassi won 8 majors and 60 total titles.

He was the first to pull off the career grand slam in 35yrs when he did it in 1999 and only 3 guys have done it since...Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

His 60 titles is good for 10th all-time.

As far as Sampras living in his head, i'm sure he did. If he could've done better against him, he'd probably be in this conversation.

You do realize Agassi won 8 majors and 60 total titles.

He was the first to pull off the career grand slam in 35yrs when he did it in 1999 and only 3 guys have done it since...Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

His 60 titles is good for 10th all-time.

As far as Sampras living in his head, i'm sure he did. If he could've done better against him, he'd probably be in this conversation.

I’m not sure what I said that made you think I didn’t know or agree with any of that. Agassi was a great player, but he didn’t max his potential anywhere near the level that the Big 3/4 have - and to a certain extent neither did Sampras imo. And partially that was probably because his main rival in Agassi didn’t really challenge him enough.

The other reasons those two didn’t go so far may be medical advances related. Those two played with injuries and conditions the Big 3 would’ve had a team of doctors look at and address much earlier.

Reactions: Catman100
If every player was in their prime and playing their best tennis, who wins? I think Sampras may have been unbeatable when he was at his very best.
An unpopular take I’m sure but I would put Djokovic as the greatest of all time.

I can get on board with anyone who says Fed is the GOAT. However, Djokovic, in my opinion, has been the most dominant player (when healthy) over the last 10 years during an era with 3 other high end HOFers (Fed, Rafa, Murray). You can also look at 2011-2014 when both would be around their prime and Djok owns a 12-6 advantage over Federer. Federer absolutely dominated everything before Rafa and Djok. Djok is actually only 1 year younger than Rafa, but Rafa became great at a younger age. Djok will likely finish with the most Grand Slams. Nadal is the greatest player on Clay by a mile, but when you factor in all surfaces, he can’t best either guy.

Reactions: DraftCat
I made a post today to my personal FB... I've conceded that Novak will now go down as the GOAT. He's the youngest of the trio and has tied them for titles.

As much as I love Fed... doesn't seem like he did enough once Nadal and Novak got rolling.

1. Novak
2. Federer
3. Nadal

Man he caught them quick. Thinking he ends up with 25.

That would actually be nice, then we could stop hearing about Serena and Court and comparing to the men’s game like they’re the same smh.

I made a post today to my personal FB... I've conceded that Novak will now go down as the GOAT. He's the youngest of the trio and has tied them for titles.

As much as I love Fed... doesn't seem like he did enough once Nadal and Novak got rolling.

1. Novak
2. Federer
3. Nadal

To be fair to Roger, he couldn’t be expected to keep up with two younger all-time greats while in his 30s. His real loss was probably not winning his first slam until like 22.

Connors had a similar problem, he set the bar but not high enough and was passed and forgotten.

Reactions: DraftCat and chroix
It’s a toss up. You could look at stats and each of them (Nadal, Federer, Djokovic) have a perfectly reasonable claim to the GOAT. It’s amazing that they are contemporaries.

Federer has never gone more than one season without a major title since 2003.
Nadal has beaten Federer on “his” court (Wimbledon) but Federer has not done the same to Nadal.
Djokovic has the edge head-to-head overall and in major matchups.

I could go on and on with stats like those.

If Djokovic goes another 5 years winning majors, then he will hold the title.

The answer, of course is ...
Serena
I think 9x Wimbledon champ Martina could make a serious case vs. Serena

Reactions: P19978
That would actually be nice, then we could stop hearing about Serena and Court and comparing to the men’s game like they’re the same smh.

To be fair to Roger, he couldn’t be expected to keep up with two younger all-time greats while in his 30s. His real loss was probably not winning his first slam until like 22.

Connors had a similar problem, he set the bar but not high enough and was passed and forgotten.

Yea I get that.. I just think Novak has another 7-8 in him putting him far enough out of reach where Fed doesn't have an argument.

In my heart of hearts though I still believe Fed prime > Novaks

Joker will put this question to rest when he wins 5-10 more majors. The two best servers lost in 3-4 sets against him. He is also a all surface player. Rafa is a clay court.

Yea I get that.. I just think Novak has another 7-8 in him putting him far enough out of reach where Fed doesn't have an argument.

In my heart of hearts though I still believe Fed prime > Novaks
Roger in the mid-2000s was ridiculously dominant….the only issue I have with putting his prime ahead of Djok’s was his lack of success at the French. He had time before Nadal came onto the scene and he could only get it done once and that was when Nadal had been upset in the 4th round to Soderling and didn’t have to face him.

Roger in the mid-2000s was ridiculously dominant….the only issue I have with putting his prime ahead of Djok’s was his lack of success at the French. He had time before Nadal came onto the scene and he could only get it done once and that was when Nadal had been upset in the 4th round to Soderling and didn’t have to face him.
I'm by no means an expert in Tennis.. but stupid logic coupled by quite a few beers right now... wouldn't "Clay" be the lesser of courts. Can Clay courts truly be dominated by more powerful swings and not say "skill"

I'm by no means an expert in Tennis.. but stupid logic coupled by quite a few beers right now... wouldn't "Clay" be the lesser of courts. Can Clay courts truly be dominated by more powerful swings and not say "skill"
Clay actually requires more skill because the surface creates a higher bounce and is less susceptible to overpowering shots. When considering the greatest of all time I think you have to look at all 3 surfaces and factor in their success on each. Djokovic hasn’t been dominant on clay, but beating Nadal at the French is a major separator in my opinion.

I play on both surfaces, clay absorbs more of the balls energy so your shots normally don't have as much pace. At the pro level it works against the big hitters and favors the position players. At the club level I've noticed that the ball does not always bounce true off of clay like it does off of hard surface, one particular annoying thing is if the ball partially hits the tape on the singles line (I play doubles) it can take a funny bunce. To me it seems spin is more effective on clay.

Tennis in this era is essentially not the same sport it was in the 60s. He used a wooden racquet. As a 5’8” serve and volley player he’d be overpowered. It’s hard to say whether he could compete in the modern era, but it’s a fact that he’d have to play an entirely different game than he did.
Have to disagree. Stats in today's tennis bear out the fact that the players who come to the net tend to win more. Not many true s/v players around but most points on ATP tour are won within 5 shots. There is a myth surrounding tennis that many points are long, long baseline rallies and that's just not so. Laver would change his game, I believe, but coming to the net is still a very successful and effective strategy.

Fed, in a fairly recent interview about when the young players would unseat the Big Three, said that the younger players don't come to the net, aren't comfortable there and won't win many Slams until they change that. I don't believe it's a winning strategy to expect to beat Joker from the baseline on point after point. And he likes to maneuver the ball around and come in to put away short balls and volleys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT