ADVERTISEMENT

The Dragon had no fire.

very good guy, his dad and handlers not so much we should not trash KH it wasn’t his choice to transfer.......he loves UK and Cal and I still think he has enormous potential. Best of luck to bro.
KH?
if you meant KW? where did he transfer?

Believe it or not, it's actually good that Whitney (and even Hagans) didn't get drafted. Had Whitney bailed after half the season and, somehow, wound up being drafted in the 1st round, then it really casts even more doubt on how necessary the college game is.

For that reason, I'm glad that Whitney and Hagans went undrafted, guys like RJ Hampton not going high, and even guys like Jaden McDaniels falling in the draft.. Whatever helps prove that, Yes, you still benefit going to play for a HOF coach at a Blue Blood school.,
and the AZ kids

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Believe it or not, it's actually good that Whitney (and even Hagans) didn't get drafted. Had Whitney bailed after half the season and, somehow, wound up being drafted in the 1st round, then it really casts even more doubt on how necessary the college game is.

For that reason, I'm glad that Whitney and Hagans went undrafted, guys like RJ Hampton not going high, and even guys like Jaden McDaniels falling in the draft.. Whatever helps prove that, Yes, you still benefit going to play for a HOF coach at a Blue Blood school.,
Agreed. If you're willing to put in the work and you have some natural abilities, Coach Cal has proven he can get you there. It may take some a couple extra seasons, but if you will persevere, he will help you get there. The track record is solid.

I know when I was that age I sure as hell made some stupid decisions, and I was lucky in that I had people who loved and cared about me and my future who tried to steer me in the right direction, so in one way I do feel for the kid if in fact he had "hangers on" who sought only to profit off of him.

I understand the flip side: he's 18, so he's a man and can make his own decisions, but not everyone is a mature adult at 18, hell, some take all their life to mature to the point where they can make good, rational life decisions.

Yes, it was good for the TEAM when he left, but it hurt KW badly, and any handlers who led him in the wrong direction need to be cast aside for his own sake.

Reactions: JDHoss
"at this time a season ago didn't you have perhaps even greater expectations for Whitney? "

NO. Not even close. He is nowhere near the player Boston and Clark are. He was athletic but cant score. Comparing Boston/Clark is ridiculous.
Nobody was comparing Whitney to Clarke and/or Boston.
What the OP WAS comparing though, was the UK fan hype for said players and you can't argue differently.

Every year we get thread after thread after thread from dudes that haven't learned a thing. They think these new guys are going to be unstoppable from the get go and Whitney was one of those guys being hyped by errbody. Even ESPN did a special on him. We all thought he was going to go awesome. He was our prized recruit.

Now we have another brand new team and there are no certainties. Clarke and Boston are highly rated, but they will struggle for a while until they figure out how to play at this level. Experience matters. Some players, like Whitney, have all the athletic ability in the world, but that doesn't guarantee success. That goes for Clarke and Boston too.

I love that he went undrafted. Now his lazy ass dad and handlers will have to get a real job. They thought they were gonna get to mooch off of him the rest of their lives after he got dat NBA money. Love it. A dumbass decision by them from the beginning. Everyone knew it. Now they reap what they sow.
Guaranteed they didn't learn a thing. People like that will always blame their falls on everyone but themselves.
That’s sad, because they ruined Whitney's golden ticket.
I hope they're reading all these comments and I hope some of these comments hit home, but I'm sure they won’t.

Reactions: Blueaz
The guys’ Instagram timeline was actually really sad last night. Getting all prepared for draft night only to go undrafted. He congratulated each of his former teammates when they were drafted (and Hagans on his contract). It was difficult not to feel bad for him.

I definitely remember “people don’t realize how good Kahlil Whitney is ... he’s going to be a lottery pick.” posts in October last year.

oops

Reactions: kyjeff1
The guys’ Instagram timeline was actually really sad last night. Getting all prepared for draft night only to go undrafted. He congratulated each of his former teammates when they were drafted (and Hagans on his contract). It was difficult not to feel bad for him.

How could have even thought there was a chance he’d get drafted last night though? Anyone with half a brain knew he wasn’t. He should’ve stayed off social media and not made himself look foolish.

I have such mixed feelings about Kahlil Whitney and also a message to all of us that preseason hype on any recruit does not always translate to outcome. Clarke, Boston, etc. we all are expecting great things and hopefully they prove true. But, be honest, at this time a season ago didn't you have perhaps even greater expectations for Whitney? He was supposedly a prize recruit. I certainly remember watching those YouTube videos and a lot of chatter here about his superstar potential. So, in that respect I do feel bad that it didn't work out and now this kid is undrafted.

However, my mixed feelings is also that you don't run away from challenges in your choosen career. I read his excuse today was he didn't fit in the structure of Cal's offense. Really? No, he had a lot to learn, showed poor fundamentals, and overall decision making. He was given plently of chances and the team radically improved with his departure. Kentucky is about competition and making yourself better. Sometimes that takes patience and working through adversity. There is no doubt he was a superior athelete and if he allowed himself time to grow and mature with a few years at Kentucky he likely would have eventually experienced a totally different life outcome. Unfortunately, he had a lot of apparently bad advisers and leaving early for him, as well as a few others when it is clear they are not ready, is sad.
I am so surprised to be a so-called five star athlete just totally quit and give up on his team and coaches. I think that shows his character. If he had stayed, fought hard, played aggressive defense who knows where it might’ve taken him. Some people have it, some people don’t.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Lol right...the hype for Whitney was no where near what it is for Boston or Clarke...sometimes I think people don’t understand just how good BJ Boston is...

Lol right...the hype for Whitney was no where near what it is for Boston or Clarke...sometimes I think people don’t understand just how good BJ Boston is...
So, you were hear last year… .. on this board and you're claiming the KW hype was nowhere near as much as what Boston and Clarke are getting?

Honestly, I've never seen you around here, so I'm guessing you weren't around much in the summer/fall of 2019, but it most certainly is true. The KW hype most certainly was as strong as the hype for Boston and Clarke has been and actually, it might have been stronger. With the pandemic and the whole Sarr saga, there really hasn't been a whole lot of hype for anyone this year.

I mean, KW nicknamed himself "The Dragon" and we all believed him. I don’t even think BJ or Clarke have nicknames

Last edited:
Khalil had hype until he got on campus and everyone saw his shortcomings firsthand. Even before big blue madness people had reported that he couldn’t dribble or shoot. I was damn near horrified when I saw him in the blue white game. Only Skal was a bigger bust, and that’s only because he’s the biggest bust in program history.

Khalil had hype until he got on campus and everyone saw his shortcomings firsthand. Even before big blue madness people had reported that he couldn’t dribble or shoot. I was damn near horrified when I saw him in the blue white game. Only Skal was a bigger bust, and that’s only because he’s the biggest bust in program history.

it was obvious to most people almost immediately. There was at least one person here still insisting he was going to be a lottery pick as late as December, lol

Reactions: CELTICAT
Simply strange situation. Immaturity if i was a betting on it. And he was exactly what we needed if march wouldve played out. Should of took the diallo sit and watch a year route. It wouldve worked out.

Quick question. What other player was doing those ball heady things in the florida comeback game?

So, you were hear last year… .. on this board and you're claiming the KW hype was nowhere near as much as what Boston and Clarke are getting?

Honestly, I've never seen you around here, so I'm guessing you weren't around much in the summer/fall of 2019, but it most certainly is true. The KW hype most certainly was as strong as the hype for Boston and Clarke has been and actually, it might have been stronger. With the pandemic and the whole Sarr saga, there really hasn't been a whole lot of hype for anyone this year.

I mean, KW nicknamed himself "The Dragon" and we all believed him. I don’t even think BJ or Clarke have nicknames

I can assure you I was here in 2019, wasn’t a member, but I was constantly here. What I saw and felt with Whitney is no match for Boston and Clarke. Just my opinion. No hard feelings.

I feel bad for Whitney, i think many of you are correct in that he had people that gave him bad advise. Kid needed someone to give him encouragement to stay and get better. Hopefully he will do well in life and fine his dream.

We get very highly rated recruits that just don't pan out every now and then. Rashaad Carruth, Skal Labisseire, Marvin Stone...heck, even Rod Rhodes.

But at least all of these guys showed potential at one point or another. I never saw any potential from KW. His decision to leave was in the best interest of all parties.

I wish him well.

huh?
KW had alot of good traits that would of helped this club stay out of situations were a comeback from deficits in unorthodox ways would be needed. Like we saw in the florida game, KW is a heady ball player. Does some athletic things others cant sometimes very much needed. He just simply quit on himself. For whatever reason. Who knows lol.

Whitney was exposed at the McDonald's game and the Jordan game although some think you can't pay any attention to all star games.
It's true they don't mean much but you can still see that a player has serious fundamental holes in his game from watching.
To me KW was definitely the biggest bust of the Cal era and top 5 all time at UK.
Skal had more hype but done a lot more also.
To compare KW to Rhodes is crazy
Rhodes was in a different stratosphere

Well unfortunately. We will never kno. And ya i agree. Gave up or bust. Is what it is.

I have such mixed feelings about Kahlil Whitney and also a message to all of us that preseason hype on any recruit does not always translate to outcome. Clarke, Boston, etc. we all are expecting great things and hopefully they prove true. But, be honest, at this time a season ago didn't you have perhaps even greater expectations for Whitney? He was supposedly a prize recruit. I certainly remember watching those YouTube videos and a lot of chatter here about his superstar potential. So, in that respect I do feel bad that it didn't work out and now this kid is undrafted.

However, my mixed feelings is also that you don't run away from challenges in your choosen career. I read his excuse today was he didn't fit in the structure of Cal's offense. Really? No, he had a lot to learn, showed poor fundamentals, and overall decision making. He was given plently of chances and the team radically improved with his departure. Kentucky is about competition and making yourself better. Sometimes that takes patience and working through adversity. There is no doubt he was a superior athelete and if he allowed himself time to grow and mature with a few years at Kentucky he likely would have eventually experienced a totally different life outcome. Unfortunately, he had a lot of apparently bad advisers and leaving early for him, as well as a few others when it is clear they are not ready, is sad.
This is spot on.

I think anyone who had any real knowledge of the game knew Whitney had unbelievable athleticism and potential but lacked basketball skill and would be a work in progress. Not all 5 stars or even top 10 talents are created equal.

Reactions: crxohio
I think anyone who had any real knowledge of the game knew Whitney had unbelievable athleticism and potential but lacked basketball skill and would be a work in progress. Not all 5 stars or even top 10 talents are created equal.

@caneintally ... what’s your response to this

I'm not sure how much that helps when there wasn't any blue blood players picked in the lottery. Cole Anthony was the first one at 15, which was a big slide from where he was projected coming out of h.s.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT