ADVERTISEMENT

The dilemna Cal faces with Chane Behanan

BigBlu_2002

All-SEC
May 24, 2002
Scout.com has this kid rated as the 7th best prospect in the nation yet we havent offered yet. I'm sure there are tons of UK fans who want him simply because he is from the state of KY and he is a top player. But does he fit into the dribble drive? He is only 6-6 and weighs 265. Cal likes his players to be long, lean, athletic and be able to handle the ball. I have never seen Chane play but I know for a fact he isnt long and lean. So, what does Cal do? Is he recruiting Chane? Does he plan to offer? Is Miller, who wants to play SF in college, a bigger priority for Cal?

Schollies are like gold for this up coming year. If he doesn't fit the system, then I don't want Cal to get him. Kentucky boy or not.

He's an Ohio kid living in Kentucky. If Quincy Miller goes somewhere else, bring in Chane. He's strong, tough, and can score. He would be a hell of a pickup for any team.

Well, Scout currently has him rated 7th at his position, which makes him a top 30-40 player overall (again according to Scout's current rankings, for what they're worth). I think you asked the right question: does he fit into the dribble drive? Given that the traditional 4-spot plays, in Cal's system, away from the basket, does anyone who has seen Chane play a lot think that he would be effective in that kind of role? Those I know who have seen Chane play don't seem to think that that's where his strengths are at all. So, given that UK seems to be heavily involved with some other PFs who do seem to fit Cal's idea of a PF better (and who are all higher ranked by Scout and pretty much everyone else who scouts for a living), I don't know that we have any reason to think that Cal would recruit Chane as anything but a back-up plan to a back-up plan. (Doesn't mean that Chane isn't a really good player in his own right and won't do well in college in the right system.)

Originally posted by Kramer318:
Schollies are like gold for this up coming year. If he doesn't fit the system, then I don't want Cal to get him. Kentucky boy or not.

This.

If UK doesn't offer, it won't matter because this class is loaded and schollies are limited.

It won't be like UK isn't going to have the #1 class. They most likely will. So it's not going to go down as being a case where they "lose out" on Behanan.

People forget that we only have 11 out of a possible 13 players this year. So, lets say knight, kanter, jones leave, harrellson is a sr., and dodson doesnt come back, thats 7 possible schollies we have for 2011. Now, we know Cal doesnt like using all 13, but i could see us having 12 players on the roster b/c there is so much talent in the 2011 class. We have gilly and teague and if we sign q. miller and a. davis, we can still sign 2 more and that still only gives you 12 players on the roster. I think we sign a another guard/wing such as jabari brown, tony wroten, duece bello, ect., then we could possibly sign behanan. If not behanan maybe someone like kyle wiltjer. but i would love to have behanan.

Originally posted by Doda_JohnWall:
People forget that we only have 11 out of a possible 13 players this year. So, lets say knight, kanter, jones leave, harrellson is a sr., and dodson doesnt come back, thats 7 possible schollies we have for 2011. Now, we know Cal doesnt like using all 13, but i could see us having 12 players on the roster b/c there is so much talent in the 2011 class. We have gilly and teague and if we sign q. miller and a. davis, we can still sign 2 more and that still only gives you 12 players on the roster. I think we sign a another guard/wing such as jabari brown, tony wroten, duece bello, ect., then we could possibly sign behanan. If not behanan maybe someone like kyle wiltjer. but i would love to have behanan.

You make some good points. However, Dodson has not left and Kanter, Knight and Jones have not gone pro so UK has 12 persons who could come back next year or who have committed. I am sure that Cal knows greater detail but UK has only one schollie that it can give out today.
And also remember that Cal does not always give out 13 schollies. He said he prefers to have about 11 on scholly. I think that Kanter and Jones will go pro and Knight may as well but Cal may have to wait until spring to give out schollies.
I do not think UK has a scholly to give to Chane and I do not Chane would be happy riding the pine at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT