ADVERTISEMENT

"The blue-white game is no more"-courier journal

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
In 2022, the program traveled to Pikeville to help the area after flooding ravaged 13 counties in the eastern portion of the state earlier that year, leaving 43 dead; that game raised $162,450, which was donated to the Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief fund. Then last year, UK went to Highland Heights and played at Truist Arena, the home venue for Northern Kentucky University's women's and men's basketball teams; it once again was for a cause, with funds from the game going to the Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief Fund and the Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund.

But the Blue-White game is no more.

Last month, UK Athletics announced the preseason scrimmage would be replaced — and would take on a new name, officially dubbed the "Blue-White Preseason Event" by organizers.

As noted above, one marked departure is that no intrasquad scrimmage will be held by the men's basketball team, led by first-year coach Mark Pope.

Another change: The women's basketball team, with a rookie coach of its own in Kenny Brooks, also will participate.

The event will be hosted by Club Blue, one of UK Athletics' name, image and likeness partners.

In place of the intrasquad scrimmages of years past, Friday night's Blue-White event will be "transformed into an interactive fan experience," per UK. The men's and women's teams will hold practice sessions during the event. Club Blue wrote on its website that during the event there will be in-game interviews with men's and women's players, plus commentary from Pope and Brooks.

I’m getting conflicting information.

The intra-squad scrimmage won’t be shown as part of the broadcast they are now doing?

Or the intra-squad scrimmage won’t be?

Yep. Not just UK but the entire state of college athletics as we once knew is over.

This is a monster that won’t be able to be contained. Myself along with my families generations before me all bleed blue but it’s becoming too much. In my opinion it’s gone further than a way of life and has become a form of worship, which I totally reject.

The average income in the state of kentucky is around $33,000. A family of four to go to a damn scrimmage will cost them $6-700 easy.

Heck, I have dreams and ambitions of my own future, as I hope everybody else on this board and out there does too.

How far will they push it? It’s getting scary.

I’m getting conflicting information.

The intra-squad scrimmage won’t be shown as part of the broadcast they are now doing?

Or the intra-squad scrimmage won’t be?
From what I understand there’s gonna be a section dedicated to viewers on television and a section that will be dedicated to those in attendance only.

Something about Pope doesn’t want his offensive schemes made public.

Reactions: BlueSince92
From what I understand there’s gonna be a section dedicated to viewers on television and a section that will be dedicated to those in attendance only.

Then don't say the things he says in practice and coach like it is an exhibition game... It is a scrimmage for the fans he doesn't need to be saying things he doesn't want made public. Sounds like a bad excuse.

Thanks. That approach is fine with me and matches the first thing I was told, the one that sounded sane. Obviously I would prefer if they had made this PPV but I guess hindsight will be 20/20 for them in this case.

EDIT: Although honestly, maybe it really is me/us who have the cart before the horse. Maybe Pope really loves Kentucky fans so much that he was just bursting to get down and dirty and reveal all the wicked surprises his offense has in store for our opponents, along with his intimate thoughts about how he developed them and why they will work so well. And maybe that really is too much info to release into the wild where opposing coaches can have at it and game-plan for it. In that case, probably a closed event like this is really the only way you can make any money off it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlue1992
Thanks. That approach is fine with me and matches the first thing I was told, the one that sounded sane. Obviously I would prefer if they had made this PPV but I guess hindsight will be 20/20 for them in this case.

EDIT: Although honestly, maybe it really is me/us who have the cart before the horse. Maybe Pope really loves Kentucky fans so much that he was just bursting to get down and dirty and reveal all the wicked surprises his offense has in store for our opponents, along with his intimate thoughts about how he developed them and why they will work so well. And maybe that really is too much info to release into the wild where opposing coaches can have at it and game-plan for it. In that case, probably a closed event like this is really the only way you can make any money off it at all.
Other teams are going to see us compete in exhibition games, a few extra minutes of us scrimmaging each other won't change how teams gameplan for us

In 2022, the program traveled to Pikeville to help the area after flooding ravaged 13 counties in the eastern portion of the state earlier that year, leaving 43 dead; that game raised $162,450, which was donated to the Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief fund. Then last year, UK went to Highland Heights and played at Truist Arena, the home venue for Northern Kentucky University's women's and men's basketball teams; it once again was for a cause, with funds from the game going to the Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief Fund and the Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund.

But the Blue-White game is no more.

Last month, UK Athletics announced the preseason scrimmage would be replaced — and would take on a new name, officially dubbed the "Blue-White Preseason Event" by organizers.

As noted above, one marked departure is that no intrasquad scrimmage will be held by the men's basketball team, led by first-year coach Mark Pope.

Another change: The women's basketball team, with a rookie coach of its own in Kenny Brooks, also will participate.

The event will be hosted by Club Blue, one of UK Athletics' name, image and likeness partners.

In place of the intrasquad scrimmages of years past, Friday night's Blue-White event will be "transformed into an interactive fan experience," per UK. The men's and women's teams will hold practice sessions during the event. Club Blue wrote on its website that during the event there will be in-game interviews with men's and women's players, plus commentary from Pope and Brooks.
Now all funds will be going to the players. It’s turned into a AA sports league with higher wages.

That's the silliest excuse I've ever heard. You can't hide your schemes forever. Pretty sure we have 2 pre season games and 2 hopefully cupcake regular season games before Duke. Duke won't be surprised and neither will UK by the time the two play.

And including the women's team n this too is stupid IMO.

Other teams are going to see us compete in exhibition games, a few extra minutes of us scrimmaging each other won't change how teams gameplan for us
Exhibition games are nothing compared to the coach breaking down all his favorite tricks and explaining how and why they work, if that’s what it is.

That's the silliest excuse I've ever heard. You can't hide your schemes forever. Pretty sure we have 2 pre season games and 2 hopefully cupcake regular season games before Duke. Duke won't be surprised and neither will UK by the time the two play.

And including the women's team n this too is stupid IMO.
I agree! It’s just an excuse for them to make more money.

Heck last year before postseason play Dan Hurley was explaining through a video on ESPN exactly how they run the offense and what they like to focus on.

It didn’t hurt him. He was still the last man standing lol.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT